You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-29 20:23:53

Ridius

Wierd Ethernet Problem!!!!!!!!! [Resolved]

Ok, if someone can figure this one out, I'd be eternally grateful. I can do a clean FTP install (no errors, no problems). The install CD can load my NIC module, get a DHCP lease, and download apps with no problems. However, as soon as I boot into my install (base packages only), the network daemon fails to load. The only error I get in any of my log files is in daemon.log and it says something to the effect of

daemon.log wrote:

DHCPCD failed to load because eth0 is not 802.11 or Ethernet compliant

I thought it was a module issue, but I copied the kernel config from the install cd that works

zcat /proc/config.gz > /mnt/usr/src/kernel-2.6.10/.config

and still get the same results!

Here's some more info:
· This error happens when I set rc.conf to:

rc.conf wrote:

eth0="dhcp"

· If I set a static IP, the daemon loads fine but I cannot ping my router on the same subnet.
· When set to static IP, I can ping the loopback and my own IP
Any ideas????????

Thank you to those who post suggestions!!!!!!!

#2 2005-08-29 20:46:16

Kern

Re: Wierd Ethernet Problem!!!!!!!!! [Resolved]

what else have you got in the eth0="dhcp" area of your rc.conf ? ie :-
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
and so on

#3 2005-08-29 20:59:51

Ridius

rc.conf wrote:

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

#4 2005-08-29 21:00:54

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Ridius wrote:

· This error happens when I set rc.conf to:

eth0="dhcp"

· If I set a static IP, the daemon loads fine but I cannot ping my router on the same subnet.
· When set to static IP, I can ping the loopback and my own IP
Any ideas????????

When you set a static IP, you also need to set the route to your gateway (the default should be fine, just remove the "!" in the "ROUTES" section.

Are you sure the right module is loaded? Did you background hotplug? If so I'd highly recommend *NOT* doing that as the module may not be loaded at the time the network daemon is called

#5 2005-08-29 21:06:12

Ridius

phrakture wrote:

When you set a static IP, you also need to set the route to your gateway (the default should be fine, just remove the "!" in the "ROUTES" section.

Are you sure the right module is loaded? Did you background hotplug? If so I'd highly recommend *NOT* doing that as the module may not be loaded at the time the network daemon is called

When using static ip, I did remove the "!" in the ROUTES section (I also modified to fit my subnet - 192.168.1.1): same results.

I did NOT background hotplug, I let the hotplug daemon load the module. I know the 8139too is the correct module becase
· I've used the same module in other distro's
· It's the module that the intsall CD uses
Also, an lsmod shows that 8139too is loaded as soon as the boot process finishes.

#6 2005-08-29 21:09:22

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

After boot, can you run "/etc/rc.d/network start" and see if there's any difference?

#7 2005-08-29 21:13:47

Ridius

phrakture wrote:

After boot, can you run "/etc/rc.d/network start" and see if there's any difference?

Same results. If I change rc.conf to static and restart network, the daemon starts but I can't ping past my NIC's IP. If I have it set to DHCP and restart the daemon, it fails and I get the error in daemon.log

What is really confusing me is that this worked fine the first time I did an install! I wanted to repartition my drive for a Windows install and now I can't get network access.

#8 2005-08-29 22:08:33

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Ridius wrote:
phrakture wrote:

Same results. If I change rc.conf to static and restart network, the daemon starts but I can't ping past my NIC's IP. If I have it set to DHCP and restart the daemon, it fails and I get the error in daemon.log

What is really confusing me is that this worked fine the first time I did an install! I wanted to repartition my drive for a Windows install and now I can't get network access.

Try removing hotplug (prefix it with "!") and adding your network module to the MODULES array - it's possible hotplug may be loading something that conflicts (like it does in the case of snd-intel8x0/snd-intel8x0m)

#9 2005-08-29 22:29:44

Ridius

phrakture wrote:

Try removing hotplug (prefix it with "!") and adding your network module to the MODULES array - it's possible hotplug may be loading something that conflicts (like it does in the case of snd-intel8x0/snd-intel8x0m)

Will do! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

#10 2005-08-30 05:27:37

Ridius

Ok, that worked! I stopped hotplug from running at boot, loaded just my NIC module and everything was great. I custom complied my own kernel and am not having any problems.

In order to be more helpful, I kept the problem kernel/modules installed and will try to find out which one is conflicting with my NIC module.

Thanks to everyone who helped me! I really appreciate it!

Board footer