You are not logged in.

#126 2012-05-13 07:57:54

Grinch

Re: Here, have a GUI

alphaniner wrote:

You've mentioned this several times now, as though it really means something.

It does, it really means that the hardware I have in my possession really works under Linux. It warrants as much mention as that of someone who can't get his/her laptop to fully work with Linux.

alphaniner wrote:

A positive attitude is one thing.  Supporting Haiku at this point borders on hopeless idealism, really.  But it's something I can actively support, whereas a revolution in the hardware market is something I could only hope for.

The revolution has already happened in my opinion, the number of vendor's who won't provide a Linux driver or only provides a proprietary driver has greatly dwindled in the past years. Apart from NVidia who are they?

Of course again the amount of irony in you proposing Haiku due to it being better for proprietary drivers is astounding. No hardware vendor is even considering supporting Haiku with proprietary drivers and I seriously doubt anyone ever will. Meanwhile Haiku would be unuseable on pretty much all hardware out there today if it weren't for the vast amount of open source drivers out there, many which certainly would not exist had it not been for the kernel devs making it difficult to maintain proprietary drivers for Linux. If all we had was proprietary drivers then a project like Haiku would never have gotten ANYWHERE at all.

I hadn't thought of ReactOS.  But frankly I don't think it warrants consideration.  As I understand it, ReactOS aims for binary compatibility with XP/2003.  The project's goal is a clone, full stop.

Well given that you feel you willl never get the 'full' use of your hardware without proprietary drivers and that you wanted a system which would make it easy for proprietary drivers the easiest solution I could think of would be a system which allowed you to use Windows proprietary drivers, hence Reactos.

#127 2012-05-14 15:24:28

alphaniner

@Grinch

You've made some good points, but ANOKNUSA is right: at this point we're just saying the same things over and over in different ways.  Best lay this to rest.  We can continue via email if you're interested.

Last edited by alphaniner (2012-05-14 15:30:25)

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#128 2012-05-15 06:23:51

Grinch

Agreed, for the record I hope you find an OS you feel right at home with, which is also why I came with suggestions. Take care!

Board footer