You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-29 01:12:35

MNKyDeth

suggestion for 0.6 Arch linux, when it comes out

I was wondering since there is ide and scsi kernel option on the cd for 0.5 I was wondering if there is a possibility that 0.6 will have a sata kernel on it.
As this is the new standard for hard drives I believe that getting on the sata bandwagon asap is a definate must and a very big plus.

I guess I am mainly pushing for some sata support in the next relesae of Arch as I would really like to see this type of hardware easily used in this distro. Please, atleast consider the idea, or something along this line, thanks. smile

#2 2003-11-29 01:14:06

sarah31
Website

Re: suggestion for 0.6 Arch linux, when it comes out

sata is far from being very stable in the linux kernel but i am sure this will be considered as .6 is still aways aways.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-12-12 15:32:15

kakabaratruskia

I need this too. Just baught a new PC, with SATA disc, and cant install arch. I was wondering if maybe there was a way to make an iso with my custom kernel, or maybe the developers could make a floppy image with SATA support. I'd really apreciate it.

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#4 2003-12-12 15:52:13

Gyroplast
Website

Well, usual problem, to implement and test this thoroughly, you need the hardware, otherwise it's an annoying ping-pong of error reports back and forth until you get a roughly working version at all, and this is immensely time consuming. Possibly.

OTOH, it might just be toggling the right kernel option and seeing that it just works[tm].

Either ways, you need people to test your guesswork if you can't do it yourself, and since SATA is not all that common yet, it's likely that most devs don't have any SATA boards in use yet.

Baseline: don't expect this to be included too soon.

"That's the problem with good advice. Nobody wants to hear it."
-- Dogbert

#5 2003-12-12 17:30:47

MNKyDeth

Well, I have been messing with sata ever since it came out. Some raptors in a raid 0 are crazy in the performance department.  big_smile
With the few different flavors of linux that I have tried Arch is my favorite that's why I want it to have support for it. I have been testing sata controllers on the 2.6 kernels and so far this is what I have. Silicone Image sata chip = crappy - it will work with individual drives at slightly less performance than an 80gig WD SE, and my sata drives are raptors.
The whole point of sata is raid 0, single hard drive setups are just to pathetically slow, atleast for me. So, I bought myself an Adaptec 1210sa controller. It works great in older RH and suse distro's but nothing else. There is no source driver for it. :x  I was pulling 101MB/s with my raptors in raid 0 in RH8.  :shock:
Overall the goal is to get it working in Arch linux though, so I was not satisfied. I have coming to me on monday a Promise S150 TX4. I put a bit more research into it this time and found this. http://www.promise.com/support/download … ver&os=100
It has the source code for the S150 TX series of cards from promise. So I assume it should work with the S150 TX2+ and the TX4. It better atleast or it will make me mad.
I am going to try this and see if it works though and I will report back when I have it tested. Need to make sure there source code drivers work. At this time if they do work and work well with no freezes or hangs and such I think promise is going to be a big winner in the linux world with there uber support. BTW, shame on Adaptec  for not releasing atleast a universal driver for there cards. I now spit in there general direction.   :x  :?

I forgot to mention. In the 2.6 kernel there is support for promise cards and Intel cards. It does not say beta or experimental by them, so I may not even need the driver, hopefully. The kernel option for the silicone image says experimental so don't expect it to work well for you. I think I will mostly need the source driver for creating a bootable floppy to load the sata controller when installing fresh. Other than this I am hoping that the 2.6 kernel option works and has no problems.

#6 2003-12-12 22:03:50

kakabaratruskia

But I think it could be a crappy support, that would let you install arch, and then you make it work better. It's just that I can't install arch, but I know kernel 2.6test11 has SATA support.

of the Boy Scout Manual.

#7 2003-12-12 22:11:43

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

That was the reason I created my patchset install cd.  If you want to work with me I could add that feature to it as well.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#8 2003-12-12 22:18:28

kakabaratruskia

It'd be an honor  wink

of the Boy Scout Manual.

#9 2003-12-13 00:05:32

MNKyDeth

I will help also. I actually recieved my promise S150 TX4 today instead of monday. I have not messed with it yet but soon I will. I think I read some of the post about your patch cd but I was not aware of what is on it exactly.
What kernel is on your patch cd?

I am going to try just the 2.6-test11 kernel option for the card first before any source driver.

I'll be back to let you know how it went.

Also, I am not a programmer or anything, I am just a hardware phreak is all.

If you like, PM me with anything that I can help with. I'm all for testing and getting this equipment up and running, so, just let me know.  smile

#10 2003-12-13 01:18:48

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Right now it's got a 2.4.22 kernel on it.  I released the first version a little while ago.  When I make the time I'll probably add a 2.4.23 kernel as well because I've heard of some problems with the nforce motherboards and 2.4.23.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#11 2003-12-13 03:05:59

kakabaratruskia

But what is it exactly?, I mean, is it the install CD, with some changes?.
Appart; Is it in the server?, Where?

of the Boy Scout Manual.

#12 2003-12-13 07:00:28

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

It is an install cd with some changes, yes.  It's on the server.  I have made posts about it, search for "patchset jc" or something along those lines.  The current version (jc1) is on the archlinux ftp server in the people directory.

- Blaise Pascal

#13 2003-12-13 13:54:00

kakabaratruskia

Sure, I've seen that package on the server.

of the Boy Scout Manual.

Board footer