You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-29 11:39:24

plockery

How to boot arch faster?

I have a P2 350 with 192meg ram and 4meg nvidea riva 128 video card.
I dual boot (via lilo) between win95 and arch 0.7 updated.

When booting Arch i login as a user directly through alternative login in inittab and startx to windowmaker via ~/.bash_profile.

With hotplug enabled bootup from the lilo screen to windowmaker it takes 1minute 30 secs to load - way too long I think.
With hotplug disabled and modules enabled in the modules setting of rc.conf it takes about 1 min. 10 secs.
So I save about 20 seconds doing this.
But it still takes about 15-20secs to load all the modules this way.

Are there any other ways I can reduce this time?
I would at least like to get it under a minute.

1. Would compiling my own kernel with all modules built in statically make any difference?
2. would this mean I could disable both hotplug and modules in rc.conf?
3.  Any other ways I can reduce the time for boot.
I have seen other posts suggest using "compact" in lilo.conf but that makes no difference to me.

I am not concerned about general performance just boot time.

Here is my modules and daemons lines from rc.conf and the resulting output from lsmod.

MODULES=(!usbserial !ide-scsi ohci_hcd ehci_hcd uhci_hcd evdev tsdev 3c59x pcspkr i2c_piix4 i2c_core parport_pc parport snd_sb16)

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !hotplug !pcmcia network netfs crond samba autofs)

LSMOD output
Module                  Size  Used by
snd_sb16               13800  0
snd_opl3_lib           11776  1 snd_sb16
snd_sb16_dsp           12672  1 snd_sb16
snd_pcm_oss            55456  0
snd_mixer_oss          20480  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                97796  2 snd_sb16_dsp,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              27012  2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc         10244  1 snd_pcm
snd_sb16_csp           21376  1 snd_sb16
snd_sb_common          16512  3 snd_sb16,snd_sb16_dsp,snd_sb16_csp
snd_hwdep               9760  2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_sb16_csp
snd_mpu401_uart         8704  1 snd_sb16
snd_rawmidi            26784  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          8972  2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_rawmidi
snd                    60388  13 snd_sb16,snd_opl3_lib,snd_sb16_dsp,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss, snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_sb16_csp,snd_sb_common,snd_hwdep, snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore              10848  1 snd
parport_pc             29124  0
parport                38600  1 parport_pc
i2c_piix4               9104  0
i2c_core               22784  1 i2c_piix4
pcspkr                  4172  0
3c59x                  42792  0
mii                     6272  1 3c59x
uhci_hcd               33808  0
ehci_hcd               37256  0
ohci_hcd               23044  0
usbcore               127740  4 uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
rtc                    14156  0
tsdev                   8384  0
evdev                  10240  0

[are some things being loaded by the kernel here? eg. rtc mii usbcore]

Any help much appreciated.

Peter

#2 2005-08-29 15:07:14

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: How to boot arch faster?

plockery wrote:

But it still takes about 15-20secs to load all the modules this way.

If you're feeling up to it, there are a few things you can do.

a) Building all modules into your kernel will speed this up by a slight amount - however, keep in mind this requires you to maintain your own kernel, and will be required to rebuild your kernel if you change any hardware, or want to use some usb devices that require specific modules.

b) You can edit the /etc/rc.sysinit script to background the modprobing process, i.e. "modprobe <whatever module> &"

c) You can background your daemons on startup, so your WM loads in parallel:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng @network @netfs @crond @samba @autofs)

PS - do you need netfs *and* samba? usually I see one or the other being used... just asking.

plockery wrote:

are some things being loaded by the kernel here? eg. rtc mii usbcore

Yeah, modules have dependancies, so loading one module may pull in about 30 others (just look at the sound).  IIRC rtc and mii are used by network cards... usbcore would be loaded by anything usb (uhci, ehci, etc)

#3 2005-08-30 00:12:28

plockery

Thanks for the tips Phrakture,
Some responses from me and I need some clarification if you don't mind.

a) I am only interested in doing the kernel thing if it would make a significant difference in bootup time... say 5-10 seconds at least. The pcs I am talking about are workstations that logon to a windows terminal server 2003 environment and so the hardware is unlikely to change at all. But all the kernel options are bewildering to me. So I will only do this if it makes a real difference. It doesn't sound like that from what you are saying.

b) I am not sure what to do with the rc.sysinit file. Can you give me some specifics?
I had a look and it just seems to call up the modules array as specified in rc.conf.
How then would I background them?
Do I write a separate line for each module (eg modprobe snd_sb16 &) somewhere in rc.sysinit and then comment out the modules array in rc.conf or comment out the call from rc.sysinit?

c) I backgrounded the daemons as you suggest but it seemed to make minimal difference... about 3 secs if that! I disabled netfs as the pcs I am talking about are workstations that connect to a windows terminal server 2003 environment, so I need samba but I presume I don't need netfs.

Also I do not know whether I need to load all the modules hotplug finds anyway. As I say above these pcs are workstations that logon to a windows environment. I need sound (hence module snd_sb16), and floppy and usbstick support (daemons samba and autofs).
Is there a place i can find out what all these modules mean (eg uhci ehci ohci pcspkr) to see whether I might be able to jetison some?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Peter

#4 2005-08-30 00:44:20

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

plockery wrote:

I am not sure what to do with the rc.sysinit file. Can you give me some specifics?

line 169 becomes:

169             /sbin/modprobe $mod &

The ampersand at the end backgrounds the process.  This should increase speed.

plockery wrote:

Also I do not know whether I need to load all the modules hotplug finds anyway. As I say above these pcs are workstations that logon to a windows environment. I need sound (hence module snd_sb16), and floppy and usbstick support (daemons samba and autofs).
Is there a place i can find out what all these modules mean (eg uhci ehci ohci pcspkr) to see whether I might be able to jetison some?

"modinfo <module>" should give you all the info you need... but I'll take a stab at it:
ohci_hcd/uhci_hcd - USB 1(.1) module - only needed if you use non-USB 2.0 devices (and you only need one of these depending on your hardware... try checking the output of lshwd for which one)
ehci_hcd - USB 2.0 module - only if you use USB2.0 devices
evdev - not sure, but I'm 99% sure it's not needed
tsdev - touchscreen driver, not needed
3c59x - network, you need this
pcspkr - PC Speaker... you can safely remove (unless you like beeps)
i2c_piix4 - I2C stuff, for motherboard sensors - you can safely remove
i2c_core - See above
parport_pc - parallel port... I highly doubt you need this
parport - see above
snd_sb16 - sound, you need this

PS you might want to try profiling your boot with bootchart (in the [community] repo)

#5 2005-08-30 13:47:16

plockery

Thanks again for your help Phrakture.

It has taken me a little while to work through the info but thanks to your info things are getting somewhere.

Bootup time is down to 55 seconds!!

Changed line 169 in rc.sysinit as you suggest.
Also commented out loading of usbcore in sysinit as module uhci_hcd loads it anyway.
Have kept daemons in the background.
Am now only loading modules in the rc.conf array "uhci_hcd" (for usb1) "3c59x" (which also loads mii) and "snd_sb16" (man does it have a trail of dependencies!!).

However for some reason lsmod still shows after bootup that "tsdev" "evdev" and "rtc" are loaded.
I am not sure what could be loading these and why?

Do you have any idea why this might be?

tsdev as you say is a touchscreen driver.
modinfo for evdev only reveals this description "Input driver event char devices"

Do you know what that means?

modinfo for rtc has no description at all. Under "alias" it reads "char-major-10-135"

Any clues on this?

None of these modules lists any dependencies in modinfo.

It took me some time to work out what was the correct entry in lilo.conf for bootchart to work, but eventually I got it.
I had to add to the vmlinuz parameters     append="init=/sbin/bootchartd".
I have produced the .png and viewed it, but from there I don't know how to interpret the graph or what it can tell me.

What should I be looking for?

It tells me that boot time was 30.43 seconds which is way out on what I timed it to be. The graph seems to include the starting of X so i am not sure why the time difference, except to say that the starting of bootchart doesn't seem to happen until just before the loading of devfs in the bootup sequence.

I feel like by now I'm probably taking up too much of your time, but if you can give me some further clues I really do appreciate it.
No amount of time I have spent scouring the net for answers has been able to turn up the info you have given me.

Peter

#6 2005-08-30 15:17:36

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

plockery wrote:

However for some reason lsmod still shows after bootup that "tsdev" "evdev" and "rtc" are loaded.
I am not sure what could be loading these and why?

If you can't get rid of them I wouldn't worry - I think evdev loads up on my machines sometimes... "rtc" is "Real Time Clock" IIRC, and it's kinda important.  Even if you get rid of them, there's going to be no real time effect.

plockery wrote:

It took me some time to work out what was the correct entry in lilo.conf for bootchart to work, but eventually I got it.
I had to add to the vmlinuz parameters     append="init=/sbin/bootchartd".
I have produced the .png and viewed it, but from there I don't know how to interpret the graph or what it can tell me.

What should I be looking for?

It tells me that boot time was 30.43 seconds which is way out on what I timed it to be. The graph seems to include the starting of X so i am not sure why the time difference, except to say that the starting of bootchart doesn't seem to happen until just before the loading of devfs in the bootup sequence.

Well, it's measured from a different point than you're probably measuring from.  You're probably measuring from the time you press the button to the time X is usable.  Bootchart measures from the point the kernel spam begins to the time it loads X (but most likely not when it's usable).

The reason I suggested bootchart is not the time (though that's really good for a 350MHz - I've seen 2-3GHz machines spit out bootcharts for 20-30 seconds most of the time) but because you can see what takes the most time and try to minimize that.  Can you upload your bootchart to imageshack or something so I can take a look at it?

plockery wrote:

I feel like by now I'm probably taking up too much of your time, but if you can give me some further clues I really do appreciate it.

Hah, too much of my time? Look at my post count... I spend way to much time here as it is (4.56% of total / 6.58 posts per day).

The biggest time killer is most likely X right now.  Maybe you can try slim (package is in the [community] repo) in place of xdm, see if that speeds things up?  I'd add the "@slim" daemon first in the DAEMONS array, so things appear usable just slightly before they actually are - it's all about illusion 8)

#7 2005-08-31 05:51:40

Rubinas

"modinfo <module>" should give you all the info you need... but I'll take a stab at it:
ohci_hcd/uhci_hcd - USB 1(.1) module - only needed if you use non-USB 2.0 devices (and you only need one of these depending on your hardware... try checking the output of lshwd for which one)
ehci_hcd - USB 2.0 module - only if you use USB2.0 devices
evdev - not sure, but I'm 99% sure it's not needed
tsdev - touchscreen driver, not needed
3c59x - network, you need this
pcspkr - PC Speaker... you can safely remove (unless you like beeps)
i2c_piix4 - I2C stuff, for motherboard sensors - you can safely remove
i2c_core - See above
parport_pc - parallel port... I highly doubt you need this
parport - see above
snd_sb16 - sound, you need this

PS you might want to try profiling your boot with bootchart (in the [community] repo)

hey, where can i get information what module name means?
i have a big list loaded, and i don't now which i need or not...

#8 2005-08-31 06:53:12

lucke

Try 'modinfo module_name'.

#9 2005-08-31 11:14:45

plockery

Thanks again Phrakture.

I'm afraid you are talking to the ignorant when it comes to imageshack.
I did not even know it existed!!

However, I have registered with imageshack.us and uploaded the image which I have called  "plbootchart.png" but am not sure what to do so that you can see it.
At the moment it is in my images.

What do I have to do so that you can have a look ar it?

Peter

#10 2005-08-31 11:20:49

agilyben

plockery wrote:

What do I have to do so that you can have a look ar it?

When viewing your images at imageshack, you should see "Embeddable Code:" and "Thumbnail Code:"..  You can copy/paste one of those links into your post as a URL and it'll show as a link to it.

#11 2005-08-31 11:59:01

plockery

Thanks agilyben.

For Phrakture: here then is the link to my bootchart image.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8066/p … art3ar.png

I also forgot to say something about slim.

I do not login with a login manager at all.
I could not work out how to get xdm, wdm etc to login automatically (only kdm which is too heavy for me) without asking for a username and password, which for this pc is what I want to do.

So i found this link:
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue72/chung.html [see section "nuts and bolts method"]

which shows how to create a small C program and use an alternative login in inittab without a password. The line in my  inittab for runlevel 3 reads like this:

c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -n -l /usr/local/sbin/loginpeter 38400 vc/1 linux

where loginpeter is the compiled C program.

One then just inserts startx in ~/.bash_profile which then reads .xinitrc and for me starts windowmaker.

As far as I know this is the fastest way for me to login and directly move to windowmaker without having to pause and enter a password.

If you know of another way,  would love to hear it.

Otherwise let me know what you make of my bootchart.

Peter

#12 2005-08-31 15:51:29

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

plockery wrote:

Thanks agilyben.

For Phrakture: here then is the link to my bootchart image.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8066/p … art3ar.png

Hrrrmm... I see udevd *and* devfsd starting up there.  Make sure you append "devfs=nomount" to your kernel boot line, so that devfsd doesn't start up (devfs = dead)

Also, it seems your udev is kicking off alot more hotplug activity than mine does... I'll have to look at it, but that usb.agent line with all the blue is kinda bad... (try adding usb-storage to your MODULES array, so hotplug may not have to scan for it...)

plockery wrote:

So i found this link:
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue72/chung.html [see section "nuts and bolts method"]
As far as I know this is the fastest way for me to login and directly move to windowmaker without having to pause and enter a password.

Sounds interesting for a single user system.  I wouldn't use it, but I can see where that would be useful - looks like you got that part under control.

#13 2005-08-31 17:12:02

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I think gdm can do auto-login.  Not sure, though.

#14 2005-09-01 05:10:24

Karma XXL

It can, I'm using it all the time.

But this nuts-and-bolts method seems much lighter big_smile

Ailen:
Kernel: Linux 2.6.14-rc4-ck1 #1 PREEMPT
Built on: Mon Oct 17 14:51:37 CEST 2005
Hardware: Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+ AuthenticAMD
WM: E17 snapshot 20051016

#15 2005-09-02 00:01:02

plockery

Phrakture wrote:

Hrrrmm... I see udevd *and* devfsd starting up there. Make sure you append "devfs=nomount" to your kernel boot line, so that devfsd doesn't start up (devfs = dead)

OK I stopped devfs as you suggest via append.
What a difference! It took another 10 seconds or more off boot time.
(I noticed during boot that now the message says "starting udev daemon" whereas it always used to say "starting devfs daemon".)

I am wondering, therefore, why Arch loads both udev and devfs but runs devfs by default.

Is there a way to stop devfs permanently without the append line eg in rc.sysinit?

Phrakture wrote:

Also, it seems your udev is kicking off alot more hotplug activity than mine does... I'll have to look at it, but that usb.agent line with all the blue is kinda bad... (try adding usb-storage to your MODULES array, so hotplug may not have to scan for it...)

I loaded usb-storage but it only seemed to make the problem you refer to even worse.
See the two bootcharts below.
Both charts have been taken with the new append line in lilo. [Interestingly boot time is shown as almost identical to the original chart and yet it is 10 seconds less for me overall!!]

The first link is without usb-storage loaded.
The second is with usb-storage loaded.
You will see that the usbagent activity to which you refer is much greater with the second.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/883/ … rt17uw.png

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/7541 … rt26wg.png

I just assumed that the activity of  usb agent shown in the chart is the loading of the appropriate drivers for uhci_hcd. Hence why it is greater when loading usb-storage as well.

What is the problem from your point of view?

Peter

#16 2005-09-02 05:29:49

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

plockery wrote:

Phrakture wrote:

Hrrrmm... I see udevd *and* devfsd starting up there. Make sure you append "devfs=nomount" to your kernel boot line, so that devfsd doesn't start up (devfs = dead)

OK I stopped devfs as you suggest via append.
What a difference! It took another 10 seconds or more off boot time.
(I noticed during boot that now the message says "starting udev daemon" whereas it always used to say "starting devfs daemon".)

I am wondering, therefore, why Arch loads both udev and devfs but runs devfs by default.

Is there a way to stop devfs permanently without the append line eg in rc.sysinit?

Well rock on, 10 seconds is great.  As for shutting it down permanently, the kernel boot line does that for now, though kernel 2.6.13 has devfs removed altogether, so that should do it. 8)

plockery wrote:

I loaded usb-storage but it only seemed to make the problem you refer to even worse.
See the two bootcharts below.
Both charts have been taken with the new append line in lilo. [Interestingly boot time is shown as almost identical to the original chart and yet it is 10 seconds less for me overall!!]
What is the problem from your point of view?

Not really sure.  You mentioned USB keys - can you try booting without that?  If it's the usb drive causing the activity, there should be a way to load all the required modules before hand, so usb.agent shouldn't have o scan so much....

Still, a 30s boot on a P2 is great.

On a side note, do you have your hostname in /etc/hosts along with localhost?  This makes X boot a shade faster as it doesn't need to check to see if your "hostname" is something external.

#17 2005-09-02 15:30:58

plockery

Phrakture wrote:

Not really sure. You mentioned USB keys - can you try booting without that? If it's the usb drive causing the activity, there should be a way to load all the required modules before hand, so usb.agent shouldn't have o scan so much....

Sorry I don't know what you mean.
By usb keys do you mean a usbstick or pen drive which is what I have?

However, I have no usb storage connected by default at all.
My p2 simply has 2 usb 1.1 ports in the rear.

I load autofs (automount) so that I can plug in a usbstick into /media/usbstick if I need to.
My auto.media file usb line reads like this:
usbstick -fstype=auto,sync,nodev,nosuid,umask=000 :/dev/sda1

But If I am reading the chart right all this usbagent stuff happens before autofs is loaded.

Other than that uhci_hcd loads usbcore which is also loaded from rc.sysinit.

i gather your opinion is that these modules should not be causing all this usbagent activity in the chart.
What is usbagent anyway?

Peter

#18 2005-09-02 17:44:41

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

plockery wrote:

Sorry I don't know what you mean.
By usb keys do you mean a usbstick or pen drive which is what I have?

Yeah, that's just my jive-talk... I've always called them "keys" because they were all made like keychains..

plockery wrote:

i gather your opinion is that these modules should not be causing all this usbagent activity in the chart.
What is usbagent anyway?

usb agent is part of hotplug.  specifically the usb portion of it.  it does the same thing as the rest of hotplu, but the details are different for USB stuff.

and no, as far as I can tell, usb agent shouldn't be doing much on boot - I'm pretty sure mine doesn't but I'll have to boot chart my machine again when I get a chance....

#19 2005-09-02 23:05:19

jnengland77

I thought I read about recompiling the kernel if you do this disable USB Storage and SCSI subsystem(if you don't have any), while your at it build in most of the USB stuff, and make a slim kernel. Instead of using the USB Storage some one recommend me to remove that and the SCSI stuff as it's large and takes a lot... To replace the USB Storage module, use the Low Preformance USB Block driver. I use it and can't tell the difference, your device will be uba1 isntead of sda1.
Another thing is to look in this thread
Use the .13 kernel with any patches you want i like CK.
remove the no devfs remove it from the rc.sysinit
remove the nomount=devfs line.
mount filesystems simultaniously.
and if you don't have/use LVM i also recommend removing it too.
maybe the inittab tweak don't know if that'll affect your current setup.

good luck
~jnengland77
PS: Sorry about my crappy english on forums...

#20 2005-09-05 10:34:48

plockery

Phrakture wrote:

and no, as far as I can tell, usb agent shouldn't be doing much on boot - I'm pretty sure mine doesn't but I'll have to boot chart my machine again when I get a chance....

Been away for a couple of days, I have taken bootcharts with no usb modules at all (see first link below) and only uhci_hcd (which loads usbcore) loaded (see second link).

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/8776 … rt35id.png

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/9306 … rt43hb.png

It looks like uhci_hcd causes all the usb.agent activity, since there is none without it.

Anyway boottime is now quite acceptable, so thanks for sticking with me the whole time (and to others who have chimed in from time to time).
It has beeen a great help and I have learn't a lot in the process!!

#21 2005-12-14 21:35:25

schmoemi
Website

phrakture wrote:

Well rock on, 10 seconds is great.  As for shutting it down permanently, the kernel boot line does that for now, though kernel 2.6.13 has devfs removed altogether, so that should do it. 8)

Which means with kernel 2.6.13 in use i could kick the devfsd pkg in the trashbin?

The time when Microsoft starts making something that doesn't suck will be when they start making vacuum cleaners.

#22 2005-12-14 21:43:30

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

schmoemi wrote:
phrakture wrote:

Which means with kernel 2.6.13 in use i could kick the devfsd pkg in the trashbin?

Yes. If you use udev, you don't need devfsd.
The devfsd packages is still in the repo for people still running kernel 2.4 or using an older 2.6 kernel with devfs.

#23 2005-12-14 22:03:18

Zanton

Maybe already said but here is a way to boot faster (36s from the installation and now 19s) : make your daemon in /etc/rc.conf start in parallel (@ before the name) and do the same in the /etc/rc.sysinit (by adding a & at the end of the line), but be careful with sysinit : if u make some of the processus start in parallel (i.e. udevd, fsck, etc.) your system won't boot correctly.

#24 2005-12-23 11:47:23

jinn

@phrakture

Ive followed this thread to increase my boot speed and have done everything that you have recommended, but I have a really strange boot..

can you please look at my bootchart image.. the kjournald takes way to long to initiate.. I have checked plockerys image but he doesnt have kjournald, but khelper.. I dont have khelper.. what is khelper?

http://www.badongo.com/pic.php?file=boo … tchart.png

cheers
jinn

The ultimate Archlinux release name: "I am your father"

#25 2005-12-26 13:22:54

Zanton

It seems you have compiled your own kernel (the picture is a little blury). And it seems it takes a looooooooong time to load stuff from kernels since udev starts at 45s. So maybe you compiled a lot of stuff in your kernel, and you don't need them. What is your hard disk ? It seems very slow too (7 Mb/s is not very good...)

Board footer