You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-11 18:31:33

cfr

Switching to Arch: Outstanding issue w/ printing

I've spent the last six months or so switching to Arch and intel (from OS X/Debian and ppc). I did think I was getting there but I've got stuck on some issues which seem small in some ways but are really problematic given the kind of work I need to do. Part of the problem is that I don't know where to start trying to diagnose or solve them.

I currently have three such issues. One has to do with getting my internal mic to work in usable fashion. The second is to do with the use of external monitors (e.g. for LCD projection). The third is the one which is really, really problematic. When it really matters, I can use one of the university's windows boxes for the mic. And the external monitor is manageable because it works and only causes issues on disconnect. But the third I have no work around for and I'm getting kind of desperate.

Generally speaking, printing works fine. My machine is set up to use a number of different printers: a Dell networked printer on my home LAN, an HP in my office via USB and another HP via USB in another office I work in. Printing is generally fast and good quality.

There are two problems. First, printing periodically gets "stuck" and the only way to get it unstuck is to kill all jobs in the queue, disconnect the printer, switch the printer off and then restart, reconnect and reprint everything. Even this is not impossible. I can get everything printed - it is just a question of figuring out what hasn't printed and remembering to recheck everything each time the printer stalls.

Second, certain documents print so slowly that it is, in practice, impossible to actually print them. I'm not sure what is special about these documents. Usually this happens with PDF files but it is certainly not all PDF files. It affects any which contain graphics but it also affects a lot which do not. Other PDFs print extremely fast.

For example, I am currently trying to print a PDF version of a paper. The job was sent at 18:42:37 BST. It is now 19:16 BST and it has so far managed to print 6 sides (3 pages). I'm printing it from acroread because it refused to print at all from Okular or the command line. This particular PDF is an older JSTOR file and these often seem to be affected. Recent stuff from JSTOR prints fine but older archives do not.

pdfinfo for the file gives:

Producer:       iText 2.0.1 (by lowagie.com)
CreationDate:   Tue Dec  4 07:13:41 2007
ModDate:        Tue Dec  4 07:13:41 2007
Tagged:         yes
Pages:          16
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      595 x 842 pts (A4)
File size:      339426 bytes
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.4

pdffonts:

name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
Helvetica                            Type 1            no  no  no     134  0
DRRZGT+Code2000                      CID TrueType      yes yes yes    135  0
Times-Roman                          Type 1            no  no  no     140  0
Times-Italic                         Type 1            no  no  no     141  0
Times-Bold                           Type 1            no  no  no       6  0

acroread's properties for the document suggests that the non-embedded fonts are being substituted. For example, Arial MT is being used in place of Helvetica and Times New Roman PS MT is being substituted for Times.
Here's the command being run from ps:

hp-LaserJet-1320-series 410 <username> A9ROojFUrV 1 Duplex=DuplexNoTumble finishings=3 noHPBookletBackCover noHPBookletFilter HPBookletPageOrder=Normal HPBookletPageSize=A4 HPBookletScaling=Proportional HPEconoMode=PrinterDefault HPOption_PaperPolicy=PromptUser HPOption_Tray2 noHPOption_Tray3 noHPStraightPaperPath InputSlot=Auto InstalledMemory=16_31MB noManualFeed media=A4 MediaType=Unspecified number-up=1 PageRegion=A4 PageSize=A4 Resolution=1200dpi sides=two-sided-long-edge Smoothing=PrinterDefault job-uuid=urn:uuid:18b2396b-4dca-38bc-561d-a85b5fc4d85d job-originating-host-name=localhost time-at-creation=1336758157 time-at-processing=1336758157 /var/spool/cups/d00410-001

Any sort of insight or suggestion will be gratefully received and I am more than happy to post further information if somebody tells me what is relevant. I've enabled debugging info in CUPS but I'm not sure what might be of interest and there is a lot of output.

I'm looking for, ideally, a solution which will allow me to just print (preferably solving both problems but at least the second). A second best outcome would be some sort of work around which would allow me to convert these files or something and then print them. (But convert to what?) Failing either of those, I am definitely interested in knowing what I might read, inspect or experiment with.

Given that printing other files works just fine, there must be something about how CUPS is handling files with some particular characteristics, mustn't there? I just have no idea which characteristics of the files are relevant or what it is doing. "I didn't manage to read the/your paper because Linux doesn't like older PDFs" just doesn't sound like a good excuse...

Last edited by cfr (2012-05-11 18:34:07)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#2 2012-05-11 20:34:59

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Switching to Arch: Outstanding issue w/ printing

some steps to narrow down the pdf printing problem :
Do problem files fail on all printers ?

try printing the files from other pdf handling programs , like epdfviewer, xpdf and such.

EDIT :
by starting okular from command line you may get more information about WHY it doesn't print those files.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2012-05-11 20:36:04)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2012-05-11 21:40:05

defears

I'm only going to say I also had some pdf's that could not print and I don't know why, but converted them to png format and printed fine for a work around.

#4 2012-05-11 23:55:13

ewaller
Administrator

defears wrote:

I'm only going to say I also had some pdf's that could not print and I don't know why, but converted them to png format and printed fine for a work around.

That is wrong on so many levels.

@cfr:  Which interface are you using?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2012-05-12 02:20:12

cfr

ewaller wrote:

@cfr:  Which interface are you using?

Do you mean am I using cups or something else or do you mean to configure the printers or something else?

I usually use the web interface to configure the printers for cups. I'm using the "recommended" HP drivers for the HP printers (and I think I'm using a proprietary ppd for the Dell printer from Dell but I use that printer much less than the others and not for printing these sorts of files).

I see the same problem with an HP LaserJet 1320 and a P3010 series (I think it is a 3015).

I discovered that if I switch to a gutenprint driver things are better for at least some JSTOR files on the 1320 but I still have issues. For some reason, it doesn't then want to print the last page (no matter how many pages there are) and this driver can only print at 600dpi and has fewer options. The printer is waiting for more data but cups thinks everything has been sent successfully. If I resend the last page to the printer, I then get two copies but one prints much later than the other. I assume this is another way in which something to do with the spooling or the way that cups sends data to the printer is going wrong and maybe connected with why printers get "stuck". Aside from the slowness issue there is definitely something not quite right about the communication between computer and printer. It is as though cups has two speeds: super quick (spools so fast the printer can't keep up); and super slow.

I've tried printing problematic PDFs from at least Okular, acroread and using lp on the command line.

I don't understand how the suggestion concerning converting them to png is supposed to work. Do you convert each page to a separate png file? I guess you could script it but it still seems like a convoluted process. (And I assume it rules out double-sided printing.)

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#6 2012-05-12 02:59:41

ewaller
Administrator

Actually, I wanted to know about the physical layer -- USB, or 1284 Parallel port?

As to my comment about converting to PNG being just wrong:   I shudder at the thought of converting to vector graphics to a bit map anywhere outside the print engine itself.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2012-05-12 12:03:36

defears

@ewaller
I don't like to convert them, but when you own a buisness you need to get stuff done. You can't tell a client I have to wait to get a bug fixed because I use linux. I might be able to print your pdf in a month. Yeah right.

By some I mean like 3 in the past year. Not a lot. TBH, that's why I didn't look into it.

@cfr
I just used Gimp and exported to png. If it's something important you gotta do what you gotta do until you find a proper fix.

#8 2012-05-13 01:58:00

cfr

@ewaller

USB for the HPs. [The Dell is networked but I don't tend to be printing much at home - not files of the problematic sort, anyway.]

I wasn't so much confused about why you shouldn't turn them into pngs. I was more confused about how that was supposed to work at all. I've never had much luck with Gimp and PDFs but I don't fancy trying to convert e.g. a 70 page paper page by page.

I just discovered that my latest attempt has printed 1-6, blankpage, 8-end. (Actually, I believe I printed the last page twice.) That was with the gutenprint driver, I think.
That is quicker with some files but it seems to skip pages and gives noticeably poorer quality output. (I guess that's maybe the difference in resolution.) CUPS lists other possible drivers (2 of each for some reason) so I don't know if any of those might work better. It seems odd I'm seeing the same problem with multiple printers - I assume the 1320 driver is different from the 3010 series drivers. Then again, maybe the bug is common to lots of HP drivers? Or, if it isn't a bug, the configuration quirk I've not gotten right?

#9 2012-05-20 01:12:06

cfr

Even with the (non-recommended) gutenprint driver, I'm still having problems with this:
- jobs disappear (the computer thinks they've printed, I think, but they haven't)
- on problematic pdfs, gutenprint does better than the hp drivers in terms of speed but it never prints the last page until I send a second copy of the last page (and then it prints two copies one right after the other)
- the gutenprint driver seems to skip pages in some pdf files

The gutenprint driver also doesn't give such good quality output but I'm less concerned about this than just getting the stuff I need printed in usable form.

I often need to send a lot of files to the print queue one after the other and it is a real problem that they keep disappearing as I keep forgetting which ones I need to print. For example, I might need to send 80 pdf files to the printer one after the other (using a script!) to print out a batch of student scripts for grading. It is a real problem if I'm losing some. Of course, I often am deleting print jobs as I can't get them to restart but I can't identify files from print jobs and I can't figure out the jobs which cups has simply discarded... [I'm blaming cups but I mean cups-or-the-driver-or-whatever-it-is...]

Board footer