You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-31 19:29:08

elasticdog
Website

Wiki Search Problem Persisting

I remember this had been discussed awhile back, but I've noticed that the search function of the new wiki still isn't working correctly.  When you try to search for 'ssh' for example, no pages are returned (both no page title matches and no page text matches)...this is incorrect as there are a couple of entries that deal with SSH, including having SSH in the title itself.  See Using SSHD and SSH or Using SSH Keys for example...

#2 2005-08-31 19:34:40

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Wiki Search Problem Persisting

it works if you search for "sshd"... also, you can google "ssh site:wiki.archlinux.org" to find things too.

I don't think we really have control over the searching - if there's a bug it's a mediawiki bug.

#3 2005-08-31 21:19:01

agilyben

Yeah, I tend to agree.  MediaWiki's search leaves a LOT to be desired.  At least you can search like phrakture mentioned using google.  I actually hadn't thought of that and just quit using the wiki..  I'll have to try the google thing next time I need some help.  ;-)

#4 2005-08-31 23:37:02

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

the wiki requires search term lenght to be greater than 3 characters..that is it.
Otherwise..can you imagine searching for "it"...
/me rolls eyes.
why not just look at the "all pages" listing, as most likely that is what would be returned from a search on "it". lol

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-09-01 00:59:32

elasticdog
Website

ahhh...the three letter limit makes sense, although I would think there still should be a way to force it to use those terms.  Much how like Google ignores common words (not necessarily short words), but you can always force it to use them if you want.

The google 'site: wiki.archlinux.org' isn't a bad idea, but not necesarrily the most accurate, as the pages might not be indexed.  However, I guess the idea of viewing all of the listings, then using pressing F3 to search for the topic would work just fine.

Thanks for the clarification Cactus...

#6 2005-09-01 02:02:23

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

no problem..
the was some talk amongst the wiki devs about trying to change the limit to allow 2 letter searched, but dissallow under that...consensus was to just leave it be, as we would have to modify any future releases of mediawiki as well...

*shrug*

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer