You are not logged in.

#201 2012-05-07 15:58:35

IgnorantGuru
Website

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

ss2 wrote:

If I provide SpaceFM either a link or a file directly and enter the su's password, nothing seems to happen.

So you're using Plugins|Install|File, and it's not added to the Plugins menu, even after a restart, and you don't see the folder added to /usr/share/spacefm/plugins/?

I see you're using sudo as your Graphical SU command.  Any change if you use su or gksu, etc?  Also sudo sometimes wants the user password, but I think you would see 'try again' if you gave the wrong one.

Are you able to run other root commands?  For example, if you right-click on a junk file and use Edit|Root|Delete, is it successfully deleted?

These are the errors the console responds with:

No errors there - output looks somewhat normal.  Except this:

tar --exclude='/*' --keep-old-files -xzf '/home/ss2/Downloads/Rename-1.10.spacefm-plugin.tar.tar'

Why is that "tar.tar"?  Looks like the file is "Rename-1.10.spacefm-plugin.tar.xz".  Unless it's named ".tar.xz", spacefm will use the -z option to tar instead of -J (only tar.gz and tar.xz are valid plugin archive formats).  But if that was the problem, I would think tar would spit out an error and you'd get a popup error in spacefm.

#202 2012-05-07 17:09:36

tri1976

I have a cd image file named cd.iso and spacefm shows its file type to be application/x-cd-image.  I change its filename to cd.img and spacefm shows its file type as  application/x-executable.  I change its filename to cd.iso~ and spacefm shows its file type as application/x-trash.  I checked all 3 filenames with file and xdg-mime command, and all show file type to be application/x-iso9660-image.  I thought mime file type is supposed to be independent of file extension but it seems like spacefm is using file extension to determine mime type.  Is this the intended behavior?

#203 2012-05-10 20:34:48

DarkSniper

Derp. Disregard this post. I realized that it would be more logical to post my bug on the bug tracker as opposed to here. (Totally thought it was an AUR package instead of a repo package for some reason).

Last edited by DarkSniper (2012-05-10 20:49:04)

Failure is not an option... It comes bundled with Windows.

#204 2012-05-11 20:02:09

IgnorantGuru
Website

tri1976 wrote:

I have a cd image file named cd.iso and spacefm shows its file type to be application/x-cd-image.  I change its filename to cd.img and spacefm shows its file type as  application/x-executable.  I change its filename to cd.iso~ and spacefm shows its file type as application/x-trash.  I checked all 3 filenames with file and xdg-mime command, and all show file type to be application/x-iso9660-image.  I thought mime file type is supposed to be independent of file extension but it seems like spacefm is using file extension to determine mime type.  Is this the intended behavior?

I think the extensions are a fallback but this is something I'll need to look into.  I've made a note to do so and you're welcome to open an issue if you'd like notification of its resolution, etc.

#205 2012-05-12 09:29:26

Lockheed

I have a problem with compressing stuff in spaceFM.

If I right-click on a file/New/Archive - it works like a charm

But if I do the same on a folder, instead of compressing, it goes inside the folder. And if I change the name displayed in 'Options' window, I get this:

Error:
Cannot find listfile

#206 2012-05-12 15:08:49

IgnorantGuru
Website

Lockheed wrote:

If I right-click on a file/New/Archive - it works like a charm

But if I do the same on a folder, instead of compressing, it goes inside the folder.

The gtk file selection dialog works a little funny with this.  If the chosen filename matches the name of a folder in the directory, it will enter that directory ( doesn't know about the filename extension and thinks you want to navigate to that directory).  So if you want the archive name to be the same as the folder name, you have to add the extension yourself (eg .tar.gz) so it can distinguish between them.  So if you want to archive the folder named 'test' as test.tar.gz, then in the Save Archive dialog, enter 'test.tar.gz' as the filename and click Save.  This behavior might be able to be improved yet - it's on the list for another try, but the dialog wasn't very cooperative last I worked on it.

And if I change the name displayed in 'Options' window, I get this:

Error:
Cannot find listfile

The Options box lets you enter additional command line options to the compression program (eg '--exclude=filename' to tar).  Normally it should be left empty.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-05-12 15:10:20)

#207 2012-05-12 15:27:44

Lockheed

We had a little misunderstanding, or two.

1. I already tried entering filename with the extension. This results in - Error: Cannot find listfile
2. By Options windows, I meant the window (filename box), not the Options box. I am leaving the Options box empty.

#208 2012-05-12 15:51:41

IgnorantGuru
Website

Lockheed wrote:

We had a little misunderstanding, or two.

1. I already tried entering filename with the extension. This results in - Error: Cannot find listfile
2. By Options windows, I meant the window (filename box), not the Options box. I am leaving the Options box empty.

So you're right-clicking on a single folder and selecting New|Archive, and you set a valid filename for the archive in the Name box, then you click Save and get the error?

What is the Archive Format box set to?  (tar.gz?)

If you run spacefm in a terminal, what is the output there after you click Save?

I can't reproduce any problem with this and don't know where that 'listfile' error would be coming from.  Does this happen with any folder you try it on, or just a particular one?  Thanks.

#209 2012-05-12 16:00:53

Lockheed

I thought I verified it before, but it turns out it was because of the "@" character in folder name.
Still, it would be nice if the archive name could be the same as folder name.

#210 2012-05-12 16:07:51

IgnorantGuru
Website

Lockheed wrote:

I thought I verified it before, but it turns out it was because of the "@" character in folder name.

To possibly address that I would need to know the archive format you're using and an example of a folder name which triggers the problem - still can't reproduce it.

#211 2012-05-12 16:47:57

Lockheed

Tried 7z and tar,bz2.
Folder name: @artstree

#212 2012-05-12 16:51:41

Lockheed

Also, it would be nice if the 'Progress Bar' would show actual progress, and not be stuck at 50% from beginning till the end.

#213 2012-05-12 20:24:27

IgnorantGuru
Website

Lockheed wrote:

Tried 7z and tar,bz2.
Folder name: @artstree

I could only reproduce this with 7z.  spacefm does quote the directory name, so this seems to be a limitation of 7z, which treats a filename starting with @ as a file list (there is some mention of this in the man).

#214 2012-05-16 04:21:49

mrawfull

My Logitech G9 mouse uses buttons 8 and 9 to navigate back/forth. Buttons 4 and 5 don't work for me.

#215 2012-05-16 06:03:16

Lockheed

I found a way to reproduce crashing bug if spaceFM is used as desktop manager. If you delete a large file (over 2GB) in spaceFM, it is likely to crash.

#216 2012-05-19 09:44:43

Lockheed

I am using spaceFM to mount/unmount devices. I created
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-my-media-automount.rules
/etc/udev/rules.d/11-mnt-auto-mount.rules

according to this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ud … if_present

but I am not able unmnount. Here is the error I am getting:

Error creating textual authentication agent: Error opening current controlling terminal for the process (`/dev/tty'): No such device or address (polkit-error-quark, 0)
Error unmounting /dev/sdb1: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Error.NotAuthorizedCanObtain: Not authorized to perform operation

#217 2012-05-20 01:45:15

bruno321

I'm having trouble mounting my removable drives:

$ spacefm

Automount: /usr/bin/udisksctl mount -b /dev/sdd1 -o 'noexec,nosuid,noatime'

Automount: /usr/bin/udisksctl mount -b /dev/sde1 -o 'noexec,nosuid,noatime'
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount ===
Authentication is required to mount /dev/sdd1
Authenticating as: John Doe,,,4810520,099105413 (bruno321)
Password: ==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount ===
Authentication is required to mount /dev/sde1
Authenticating as: John Doe,,,4810520,099105413 (bruno321)
Password: 
polkit-agent-helper-1: pam_authenticate failed: Authentication failure
==== AUTHENTICATION FAILED ===
Error mounting /dev/sde1: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Error.NotAuthorized: Not authorized to perform operation 

I posted it also here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1104125

Well, the problem seems to be the same/related to the one in the post above mine tongue

Last edited by bruno321 (2012-05-20 01:46:19)

#218 2012-05-20 18:59:07

Šaran

I'm mounting with pmount as backend. Just install pmount and it should work automagically.

#219 2012-05-22 03:34:54

bruno321

@Šaran: hmm, I already have pmount installed... :S

#220 2012-05-22 19:56:53

IgnorantGuru
Website

My udisks replacement tool, called udevil, is now available for early testing.  I did add a udevil-git to the AUR - should work but I'm not on an Arch machine right now to test it.  Please read all the details on udevil before testing - thanks!  Eventually I may make a separate thread for that.

@mrawful:  I'll take at look at adding 8 & 9 buttons

@Lockheed:  Thanks for the report on the >2G desktop file copy crash.  I'll see if I can reproduce that, otherwise I may ask you for a backtrace.

#221 2012-05-22 20:03:32

IgnorantGuru
Website

Šaran wrote:

I'm mounting with pmount as backend. Just install pmount and it should work automagically.

As of spacefm 0.7.6, if udisks (v1) or udisksctl (v2) are installed, spacefm will use these before pmount.  To force it to use pmount, set Mount Command to pmount as shown in that dialog.  Likewise for Unmount Command.

As for the udisks2 errors above, they don't look like any problem in spacefm - just udisks2 bugs or configuration issues.  You can run the same udisks commands that spacefm executes by pasting them into a terminal.  They should produce the same result.  The exception would be if you started a spacefm daemon or desktop manager from your xinit file or other startup script, in which case you should make sure that it's in a consolekit session, etc.

#222 2012-05-24 14:30:22

sonoran

IgnorantGuru wrote:

My udisks replacement tool, called udevil, is now available for early testing.  I did add a udevil-git to the AUR - should work but I'm not on an Arch machine right now to test it.  Please read all the details on udevil before testing - thanks!  Eventually I may make a separate thread for that.

udevil is working well here on cds, dvds and usb drives.

Its timely appearance does make me a bit nervous, though. Just a couple days ago after a system update I lost the ability to user-mount dvds and I was gearing up for another tough slog through the wiki, forum, and all my *kit, udev, udisk configs to get mounting working again.

Suddenly along comes udevil and the problem is solved. Coincidence? big_smile

#223 2012-05-25 01:21:56

IgnorantGuru
Website

sonoran wrote:

Suddenly along comes udevil and the problem is solved. Coincidence? big_smile

Ever get that feeling you're a target user?  smile  Glad to hear it's working well.

A few updates:

* The spacefm next branch (spacefm-git) now includes some updates so that spacefm will find and use udevil automatically if installed.  It also now uses pmount instead of udisks if both are installed (and udevil is not).  I put udisks last because it is the most likely to not work OOTB.  If you have udevil or pmount installed and you do want to force it to use udisks, you can set Mount Command to force it.

* The next branch now includes a fix for a hang which I noticed happening when the output dialog on a mount command was open when the mount triggered a new tab to be added.  For some reason I never encountered this until testing with udevil.

@lockheed: I wasn't able to reproduce your >2G file delete crash - tried deleting it from the desktop as well as elsewhere in a file browser window while the desktop was active.  I would greatly appreciate the effort if you could follow the BUILD NEXT BUILD DEBUG instructions in the README and provide a backtrace so this can be corrected.  Probably cleaner to create a new issue and add the backtrace there - thanks.

Also, I have created a thread for udevil.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-05-25 02:14:03)

#224 2012-05-25 17:04:34

el mariachi

How can I hide menu entries that I don't want? Thing is.. I like PCManFM's UI better, but the udevil stuff is a real game changer...

#225 2012-05-25 21:32:07

IgnorantGuru
Website

el mariachi wrote:

How can I hide menu entries that I don't want? Thing is.. I like PCManFM's UI better, but the udevil stuff is a real game changer...

To hide a menu item, just set an impossible context for it.  For example 'directory equals xxx'.

Maybe the UI will grow on you - moving between pcmanfm and spacefm's UI takes some adjustment, but the UI can be pretty quick once you customize it and get to know it.  Of course I know it so well it's hard for me to say.  If not, let me know what is and is not working for you.  You may not get your way on everything, but I appreciate the feedback.  Eventually I will get back to some UI refinements once this device stuff settles down.  But spacefm is not pcmanfm - multiple panels and other differences created some unique UI challenges.

Board footer