You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-23 16:50:18

rohanprabhu

[SOLVED] kdeinit4 crashing on startup (and a few other new installat..

I have just switched from openSuSE to ArchLinux, and needless to say, am a bit disappointed as to why I didn't make the switch before. ArchLinux is just pure awesome and everything seems to be working fine after a mile of manual readings and tweaking around configuration files. There are just a few issues I'm facing:

1. kdeinit4 crashes on startup: I get a KCrash dialog which says that it has crashed. The title says 'The KDE Daemon has crashed'. This is the backtrace I was able to generate from that: http://pastebin.com/L7C9iwPY

2. KDE does not store any session data: I don't like those pesky launchers on my plasma panel (the one with the taskbar and all), so I removed them. But after the reboot, they reappear. I have to remove them every session. With yakuake, I have to change the height and width of the console at every reboot, as it just switched back to the default values at every session start. Some settings do seem to persist though, for example, I have my plasma panel set at the top screen edge. This stays the same for every reboot. I have a feeling this problem has something to do with the KDE daemon crashing.

3. Nepomuk keeps on crashing: I keep on getting this notification error on startup: http://imgur.com/PyGpQ

Other than this, everything seems to work with my laptop.

Information about my laptop

Model: Dell Studio 1555
KDE version: KDE 4.7.00 (from repository)
Output of `uname -a`: Linux meanmachine 3.0-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 17 21:55:57 CEST 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Last edited by rohanprabhu (2011-09-04 10:25:43)

#2 2011-08-23 19:29:40

George

Re: [SOLVED] kdeinit4 crashing on startup (and a few other new installat..

Did you install all of kde (i.e. pacman -S kde or kde-meta) or did you do a minimal install.
Are you logging in using kdm?
And finally could you post the DAEMONS line from your /etc/rc.conf

Aside from that, welcome to Arch, glad you seem to like it here.

#3 2011-08-23 19:41:08

rohanprabhu

Thanks for replying.

1. I've installed all of kde using `pacman -S kde-meta`.
2. Yes, I'm logging in using kdm.
3. Here is the DAEMONS line from my `/etc/rc.conf`: DAEMONS=(hwclock syslog-ng dbus networkmanager netfs crond hal)

P.S: I'm launching kdm using xinit and not as a daemon.

#4 2011-08-23 20:00:27

George

Just wondering why you're starting HAL, is it because you're using something that actually depends on it or is it based on something you've read in the wiki (if its the latter that page may need to be updated).
Have you copied any dotfiles into this install from another computer?

#5 2011-08-23 20:44:06

rohanprabhu

Hi George,
I am starting hal because I remember reading it in some wiki page. Do I need to remove this? And no, I have copied no dotfiles from another computer except my keys in `.ssh`.

#6 2011-08-23 21:35:25

George

Rohan,
There's probably no point in having hal there - unless you've installed it from the AUR it won't even be on your machine as it was removed from the main repos a couple of weeks ago.

When you say you are launching kdm using xinit do you actually mean inittab? If not is there a reason you chose your method over arch's recommendation?

#7 2011-08-25 12:18:01

virubakkh

I have the same problem.
http://osdir.com/ml/unassigned-bugs-kde … 00042.html
It crach when use phonon-vlc at phonon backend.

It's solved by Install phonon-gstreamer and change phonon backend to gstreamer. wink

คารโว จ นิวาโต จ
สนฺตุฏฺฐี จ กตญฺญุตา

#8 2011-08-25 15:50:35

Unia
Website

I can confirm I had kdeinit4 crashing too. I never looked in to it (was only trying KDE4.7 at the time) but I was indeed using phonon-vlc.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#9 2011-08-25 19:50:37

Cape

+1 for phonon-vlc crashing kdeinit4

Last edited by Cape (2011-08-25 19:51:44)

#10 2011-08-26 05:40:40

cha5on

Confirming that the crash handler for kdeinit4 no longer appears at startup after changing the phonon backend to gstreamer.

#11 2011-08-28 06:28:16

rohanprabhu

Well, I am using phonon-vlc, so will be switching and seeing how it goes. Currently in middle of a 100mb+ upgrade, so don't know how long it will be before I can actually reboot and check. Anyways, I had to ask this question: Will it solve the problem of kde not remembering my settings on reboot?

#12 2011-08-28 08:42:12

birdflesh

For people having the crash at startup with phonon-vlc, what fixed it for me was building a newer snapshot of phonon (http://pastebin.com/KD9NxWwj) and then rebuilding kdelibs against it.

#13 2011-09-04 09:48:59

rohanprabhu

@birdflesh: is your solution specific to those running kde from git? After running the script you have a link to (which I think just gives me a newer version of phonon), how to rebuild kdelibs if my installation was using `pacman -S 'kde-meta-all'` ?

#14 2011-09-04 09:54:57

rohanprabhu

Also, for now to solve the problem, I am making kdeinit not play any notification sounds. Since phonon-vlc is crashing KDE applications (from a look around the web, it is not only kdeinit that is crashing due to the phonon-vlc bug), this must be when it tries to play some media, which obviously is the startup notifications.

Go to System Settings > Application and System Notifications > Player Settings and select 'No Audio Output'. Works for me.
Or one can just switch to phonon-gstreamer, but in that case banshee and rhythmbox crash for no reason while trying to play media.

Now KDE is storing session data [was a huge problem since I could not use custom power management profiles.. pretty difficult with a laptop], but Nepomuk is still crashing. Not really buying the whole semantic desktop thing.. so just going to live with it till an update resolves it smile

#15 2011-09-05 20:38:00

Pitou

@rohanprabhu

Your solution works fine. I had no crash since I've deactivated this.

Thank you.

#16 2011-09-08 19:39:59

mcirsta

I just wanted to say that I had the same problem on Frugalware, the exact same crash happened. I solved it by installing the Frugalware package "samba" , not the samba client but samba itself. Why exactly this fixes the problem I'm not sure but it seems to somehow need a samba library or something.
Could you try it and see if it's the same for you on Arch ?
Thanks.

#17 2011-09-22 15:36:26

mattgif

In reply to mcirsta: Installing samba has no effect on this bug in a fresh Arch install.

#18 2011-10-02 03:09:42

virubakkh

I found sulution that needn't disable notification sounds nor change phonon-vlc to other.
From Archwiki :

Go to System Settings > Application and System Notifications > Manage Notifications > Player Settings and change to Use an external player putting the path of your preferred sound player

คารโว จ นิวาโต จ
สนฺตุฏฺฐี จ กตญฺญุตา

#19 2011-11-04 10:55:29

kepler

Hi All,

Having similar problems.  Glad to see a solution for the kdeinit thing.

KDE remembers my setup just fine, no idea what's going on there.

But yes, Nepomuk dies lots.  No idea why.  Does anyone have any leads on this?

In other news, I will be reinstalling soon.  I know, I know, there's rarely any NEED to, but I've got a moderately long list of non-trivial changes I want to make (including repartitioning and changing bootloader) and reinstalling seems like the easiest way of sorting them out.

My point is that if we have any theories that need testing on a shiny new KDE/Arch install, I volunteer.

~ Paul

#20 2012-05-23 00:42:40

nephre

Thanks guys, it solves the same problem on my computer. Btw, i'll test phonon-mplayer-git to experience new potential errors smile

In the 1960's people took LSD to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Board footer