You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-23 01:11:59

persiankid400

Install and Boot Arch from a USB on Mac

Ok, so I have a Macbook Pro (5,5) running lion, and i want to have a version of Arch installed on my usb drive. I dont want to remove my bootcamp windows, and im not comfortable triple booting. I've tried everything, including using GPT/LVM, and grub2 with refit, but in refit, when i ask it to boot from the usb, it just boots the windows partition. The steps i took were to format it as a GPT disk, create 2 partitions, one a BIOS partition (i was following a video, www.youtube.com/watch?v=69X9ZYA41xU), and the rest went the other partition, which housed the Arch partitions. I then did the normal arch install, not installing the boot loader. After that i chrooted into the usb, and this is were i got confused. I was following the grub2 wiki for uefi systems, but i think i did it right. Does anyone know a guide to do this on mac? All the ones ive seen dont work with mac, or dont have persistence.

#2 2012-05-23 04:28:50

adamrehard

Re: Install and Boot Arch from a USB on Mac

Did you read the wiki? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBook
The wiki article seems to only cover triple booting, but I would imagine that it shouldn't be too hard to adapt it to what you are trying to do.
I can't help on this particular issue, as it's been years since I touched a Mac, but I will tell you that you have to provide more information if you want help.

"The box said requires Vista or better, so I installed Arch"
Windows != Linux

#3 2012-05-26 02:08:36

persiankid400

I guess i dont really have a problem, but im looking for a guide to install and boot to a usb for mac. Thanks for the reply.

#4 2012-05-30 01:47:13

Relish

The BIOS implementation for macs is awful, so what you need to do is get a copy of EFI GRUB and use that to boot arch.

#5 2012-05-30 04:02:20

persiankid400

Yes, i read somewhere that I cant boot off a USB if I have a not-default MBR. So if i have a bootcamp partition, it wont work, and that was the main reason for USB, so i wouldn't have to triple boot or delete bootcamp.

Board footer