You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-25 23:09:45

Milena

On-The-Fly Volume Normalize with MPlayer/ALSA

Hi

Is there anything i can install or setup for Mplayer/ALSA to achieve a live-normalisation of the volume when watching movies ?
It annoys me to fiddle with the volume slider every few seconds when i watch movies especially when the actors whisper so quiet that i have to raise the vol to the max and the next second an action scene occurs and my eardrum explodes.

I only found this so far:
http://www.miscfits.com/2009/09/normali … audio.html
Will the steps described on the link work on Arch ?

I would rather like something I can easily turn on and off or make it for MPlayer only and not a global setting (if possible).

Thanks in advance

#2 2010-04-25 23:22:18

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: On-The-Fly Volume Normalize with MPlayer/ALSA

For AC3 audio streams (most DVDs) a52dec can do it and Mplayer has its own internal version. I've never used it before, so I'll defer to the man page:

-a52drc <level>
              Select  the  Dynamic  Range  Compression level for AC-3 audio streams.  <level> is a float value ranging from 0 to 1, where 0
              means no compression and 1 (which is the default) means full compression (make loud passages more  silent  and  vice  versa).
              This option only shows an effect if the AC-3 stream contains the required range compression information.

#3 2010-04-26 00:42:04

moljac024

I hate that with movie makers. Sometimes I want to shoot somebody in the leg.

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#4 2010-04-26 01:14:09

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

They record for theaters, what else would you expect?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2012-05-24 13:18:24

qubodup

"-a52drc <level>" This did not have any effect for a video file I was watching.

mplayer -af volnorm=2:0.75 FooVideo.flv

Solves it for me.

From Normalize volume output in MPlayer , found via google.com/search?q=mplayer+normalize (this thread is the first, commandlinefu was the second)

Last edited by qubodup (2012-05-24 13:20:26)

#6 2012-05-24 16:59:56

brebs

See old thread.

And in ~/.mplayer/config:

ao=alsa:device=movie

Board footer