You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-30 21:47:09

pbw

can't burn audio cds

I'm sure this is probably an easy fix, however i havent been able to figure it out. So i thuoght i'd ask here.

Burning iso works fine in k3b or any other burning app. Though every time i attempt to burn an audio cd it fails before starting. My user is a member of optical and audio. The same error also occurs if i try to run k3b or graveman as root.

Graveman simply says fail after attempting to convert the files for a few minutes. And k3b says cdrao: returned an unknown error. operation not permitted.

The k3b debug output shows: ERROR: Could not find input file "STDIN".

Any help is appreciated

#2 2005-08-31 02:23:21

kipper

Re: can't burn audio cds

What format are the audio files in?
Have you tried burning the cd from the command line?  That way you can determine if it is cdrdao that is causing the problem or the process for converting the audio into a suitable format for burning.

#3 2005-08-31 07:25:45

pbw

format was mp3.. They converted fine using lame afaik. I've never had to use cli to burn an audio cd, so i had to google for correct method.

The command i used is as follows:

cdrecord -v dev=/dev/hdd speed=4 driveropts=burnfree -eject -audio *.wav

The results i got:

chris@Arch ~/beck - ubeckquitious $ cdrecord -v dev=/dev/hdd speed=4 driveropts=burnfree -eject -audio *.wav
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.13-archck1
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
TOC Type: 0 = CD-DA
cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
scsidev: '/dev/hdd'
devname: '/dev/hdd'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (warly-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83 '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c   1.83 04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
Driveropts: 'burnfree'
SCSI buffer size: 64512
atapi: 1
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'IDE-CD  '
Identifikation : 'R/RW 8x4x32     '
Revision       : ' 2.1'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC SWABAUDIO
Supported modes: TAO PACKET RAW/R16
Drive buf size : 1572864 = 1536 KB
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
cdrecord: Bad audio track size 39707324 for track 01.
cdrecord: Audio tracks must be at least 705600 bytes and a multiple of 2352.

#4 2005-08-31 19:24:02

kipper

Ok, using cdrecord to burn audio cds, you also need to include the -pad option, because the audio tracks on the CD must have the proper data length.  Quite often after converting from mp3, the wav files have the wrong data length.
So try:

cdrecord -v dev=/dev/hdd speed=4 driveropts=burnfree -eject -pad -audio *.wav 

Also, you could use sox to convert the wav to cdr, which should give the correct data length.

sox file.wav file.cdr

I usually use cdrdao to write my audio cds.  Once you have your all your wav files, you can just generate a toc file.  There are a couple of tools to help you generate the toc file, look on google. 
To write the cd after creating your toc:

cdrdao --device ATAPI:0,1,0 write cd.toc

I highly recommend checking out the cdrdao webpage for an idea of all the cool things you can do with cdrdao.

#5 2005-08-31 20:51:50

pbw

Thanks kipper, i used cdrdao to successfully burn an audio CD. However, graveman and k3b still flop out before writing begins.

Would really rather use a gui app if possible. But at least i can burn for now.

#6 2005-08-31 21:06:57

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Have you checked the configuration for k3b/graveman?  Maybe there's an option where you can tell them to use cdrdao to burn the CD or something similar.

#7 2005-08-31 21:15:36

pbw

This is k3b's debug output after trying again

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 0.12

KDE Version: 3.4.1
QT Version:  3.3.4
Kernel:      2.6.13-archck1
Devices
-----------------------
IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32 2.1 (/dev/hdd, ) at /mnt/cd [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM] [Error] [TAO; RAW; RAW/R16]

Used versions
-----------------------
cdrdao: 1.2.0

cdrdao
-----------------------
Cdrdao version 1.2.0 - (C) Andreas Mueller <andreas@daneb.de>
  SCSI interface library - (C) Joerg Schilling
  Paranoia DAE library - (C) Monty
Check http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/drives.html#dt for current driver tables.
ERROR: Could not find input file "STDIN".

cdrdao command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/cdrdao write --device /dev/hdd --speed 8 --overburn -n -v 2 --force --eject --remote 28 /tmp/kde-chris/k3b_audio_0_.toc

#8 2005-09-01 14:33:57

kipper

Sorry, don't use k3b so I'm not sure about the error message. I might be a bug with k3b. Check to see the /tmp/kde-chris/k3b_audio_0_.toc file to make sure it's valid and pointing to the correct wav files.

Does graveman spit up an error?

#9 2005-09-01 17:26:36

pbw

It doesnt send an error, just kinda sits there at 'conversion in progress' for what feel like ages. Then pops a fail dialauge box up, with no information in term..

And, it cant be a bug with k3b. Unless it's specifically the Arch built package that is causing the problems. (it works on every other distro i've tried and use).

That cant be it though, i really wouldnt think. Since it doesnt work with graveman, xcdroast or gnomebacker either. While these all seem to work with most every other Archer.

Thanks for the help efforts btw kipper, i appreciate it smile

#10 2005-09-02 01:37:04

kipper

Very odd.  I just installed and tried graveman and it failed, even though it claims it was successful. 
I did notice that it only converted 2 of the 12 mp3s to cdr format for burning and used cdrecord.  My guess is that the graveman problem is related to the audio conversion process. It is beta software, so anything can happen
smile
Is there anything on the k3b mailing list?

#11 2005-09-02 05:54:54

pbw

i'm really not sure dude, i havent joined or searched yet. I thought i'd ask here.. Like i said, it's worked on mepis, gentoo, mandrake, ubuntu, debian, vector, slack and bunch of others.. Currently i have mepis and vector on here as well(so i can help my community users convert) if they have questions that is. And my parent's comp has ubuntu

#12 2005-09-02 11:23:47

kipper

Got it! 

The problem is that the tmpfs is too small and is mounted at /tmp by default on ARCH.  On my system it's only 125MB. Since both Graveman and k3b use /tmp for storing the temp files to burn, the process get's terminated when /tmp fills up.  This correlates perfectly with the error message you got about foo.toc not being a valid input file, since the toc would be created after all the files have been converted to wav.

ERROR: Could not find input file "STDIN".

cdrdao command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/cdrdao write --device /dev/hdd --speed 8 --overburn -n -v 2 --force --eject --remote 28 /tmp/kde-chris/k3b_audio_0_.toc

Comment out the line in your fstab that mounts tmpfs to /tmp and reboot.  Everything should be fine after that. big_smile

#13 2005-09-02 12:06:25

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

kipper and others that had success with commenting the tmpfs line: How much swap did you have allocated?

#14 2005-09-02 15:55:32

kipper

[root@kryton ~]# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           249        244          4          0         81         66
-/+ buffers/cache:         96        153
Swap:          953         62        891

So, basically 1 GB.  Only because I don't have a lot of RAM and PAN is a memory pig.

#15 2005-09-02 19:37:21

pbw

I have a gb of ram and half that for swap, which never gets used afaik. WM of choice is flux, and tinkering with fvwm for when rasat's project becomes more stable. Swap does get used on ocassion when i used to use KDE.

Anyways, thanks for the tip. I'm gonna comment that out and reboot as soon as my downloads are finished. I'll report back and let you know how that goes.

#16 2005-10-26 04:24:34

pbw

long time since my last reply.. been dual booting kubuntu so i can better help some friends, and using that for my lazy burning needs. Anyways, tired of dual booting when something so minor as this is the only thing i can think of kubuntu is offering me that arch doesnt. (save slowness and harder to configure).

I installed arch on my friend's computer and he has the same problem.. To me, the lack of other people having this suggests i'm doing something wrong, however i dont see anything i could be doing wrong. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks,

-- pbw

#17 2005-10-26 16:03:27

kipper

Did you try it with tmpfs commented out?  As mentioned earlier, that's what worked for me.

#18 2005-11-15 22:00:13

pbw

yeah i did try that kipper, thanks for the advice. It didnt work for me however. It burns fine when i select TAO, rather than auto or DAO *shrug*.. so lately i've just been doing that.

No idea why it does that with my arch setup. Least i can burn without resorting to cli every time though. Just thought i'd chime in and let you know. Thanks again for the help.

Board footer