You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-02 01:33:46

butters

shell scripting advice [solved]

I'm in need of a little shell scripting help, and I'm sure someone here knows the answer:

I want to echo the current pwd, but minus a constant subpath.  For example suppose I have a variable:

sdir=/sandbox/butters/current

and I'm always in some directory under that at all times when my script is executing.  So if my pwd is:

/sandbox/butters/current/src/usr/bin

I want to echo:

src/usr/bin

I know that the following isolates a filename from a full path:

file=${path##*/}

And I know the following isolates a directory from a full path:

dir=${path%/*}

But I have no clue why these work the way they do.  So how do I strip away $sdir and isolate the changing part of the pwd?  Any help is appreciated.

#2 2005-09-02 01:44:10

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: shell scripting advice [solved]

PATHX=/foo/blah/bar/sub_bar
PATHY=`echo $PATHX | sed "s#/foo/blah/##"`
echo $PATHY

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-09-02 02:02:05

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

stripped=`pwd | sed "s|$sdir||"`

#4 2005-09-02 03:39:05

butters

Penguin wrote:
stripped=`pwd | sed "s|$sdir||"`

Thanks, that works the way I want if I put a / after $sdir in the regex.  I didn't realize that sed would recognize shell variables inside a regex.  I know in perl you need to the the /e switch to make variables expand like that.  In any case, I like the use of the pipe character as a delimiter.  I've been using # as my delimiter for a while since / is pretty stupid when you're dealing with *nix filenames all the time.  But | is much easier on the eyes, IMHO.

#5 2005-09-02 07:29:14

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

First off, about the sed thing - bash will expand anything that is in double quotes automatically.  So sed 's/$var//' is not the same as sed "s/$var//"

butters wrote:

I know that the following isolates a filename from a full path:
file=${path##*/}

And I know the following isolates a directory from a full path:
dir=${path%/*}

But I have no clue why these work the way they do.  So how do I strip away $sdir and isolate the changing part of the pwd?  Any help is appreciated.

stripme=/sandbox/butters/current/
dir=/sandbox/butters/current/src/usr/bin
dir = ${dir##$stripme}

it goes like this: The # sign means "strip at the front", the % sign means "strip at the end" - one of them means "strip the shortest match", two means "strip the longest match"

so ${x##$y} = strip the longest match from the fron
${x%$y} = strip the shortest match from the end

The longest/shortest stuff really only come into play with wildcards...

x=abcabcabcd
echo ${x%%abc} #does nothing
echo ${x%%abc*} #prints "" (matches the first abc, the rest is the *)
echo ${x%abc*} #prints "abcabc" (matches the last abc, the * is d)

For reference:
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/refcards.html#AEN16958

#6 2005-09-02 09:09:39

butters

Sweet, that info will certainly come in handy.  I can now get rid of a lot of nasty cut statements in my scripts.

I wonder if anyone has published a guide that covers the differences between scripting in sh, ksh, and bash?  I actually need to support machines that don't have bash installed...  I know that the substring matching stuff works in ksh.  I think I read something about the [[ ]] conditional mode being somehow nonstandard in one of the dialects (in favor of the less-feature-rich [ ] mode).

#7 2005-09-02 11:24:19

agilyben

I couldn't help myself, I just had to reply.

You guys are awesome!  I've been doing this for years, but I learn something new every day I come to the archlinux forum.  This is one of the best user communities I have seen.  There's always help at hand and hardly ever any flames. 

It makes one proud to be an Arch'r.  <---- Couldn't resist the play on words.  ;-)

How about a cool ArchLinux T'shirt.  On the front: Arch'rs like to KISS, On the back: The ArchLinux Logo with ArchLinux below it.   big_smile

#8 2005-09-02 21:10:38

alterkacker

I never could remember between '#' & '%' which did which end until one day I noticed that '#' is to the left of the '$' in the keyboard row and '%' is to the right. Coincidence? I think not!

On '[' vs. '[[' - in the Bourne sh (the ancestor to both bash & ksh)  '[' is not builtin but is an external program actually linked to 'test' (try ls -l /usr/bin/[); after executing the test the 'if' statement simply examined the return code the way it will for any external command, and '[[' doesn't exist at all.  Whereas in both bash & ksh both '[' & '[[' are interpreted by the shell but with slightly different semantics. I don't know of any reason to use the '[' test anymore - '[[' is more flexible.

#9 2005-09-03 08:41:00

butters

The main difference I find between [ ] and [[ ]] with ksh or bash is with compound conditions (conjuncts, disjuncts, etc.):

[[ expression1 && expression2 ]]

can only be rewritten as:

[ expression1 ] && [ expression2 ]

I read somewhere that the first statement is not "POSIX compliant" whereas the second one is.  This is probably because POSIX only assumes the functionality implemented in sh.

Board footer