You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-28 09:10:14

Nesrail

Can't build brasero-lite fro AUR

Hello.
I get this error when I try to build brasero-lite and I have NO idea how to fix it or what to look for.

/usr/bin/ld: eggsmclient-xsmp.o: undefined reference to symbol 'IceConnectionNumber'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'IceConnectionNumber' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/libICE.so.6 so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib/libICE.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [brasero] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-root/aur-brasero-lite/src/brasero-2.31.3/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-root/aur-brasero-lite/src/brasero-2.31.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build brasero-lite.
==> Restart building brasero-lite ? [y/N]
==> -------------------------------------
==> 

#2 2012-05-28 09:46:27

Awebb

Re: Can't build brasero-lite fro AUR

Try making it without yaourt and see if the error persists.

#3 2012-05-28 10:40:23

debdj

The file /usr/lib/libICE.so.6 file points to currently in your system is probably stripped.

Last edited by debdj (2012-05-28 11:15:25)

#4 2012-05-28 11:15:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

The error message describes the problem.  It worked here when I added -lICE to the linker line in the Makefile.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2012-05-28 11:23:56

Nesrail

Awebb wrote:

Try making it without yaourt and see if the error persists.

I can't installed from pacman since its a AUR packages.

debdj wrote:

The file /usr/lib/libICE.so.6 file points to currently in your system is probably stripped.

What does that mean???

Trilby wrote:

The error message describes the problem.  It worked here when I added -lICE to the linker line in the Makefile.

How do I add -IICE to the makefile?

#6 2012-05-28 11:34:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

There is an error somewhere in one of the autotools input files so configure doesn't detect that libICE is required.  I don't use autotools, so I'm not sure how to fix this properly, but I added "-lICE" to the linker line in the Makefile in the "src" subdirectory.  I just did this manually to try it out, but this could be added to the PKGBUILD right before the make command of the build script with a sed line like

sed -i 's/\(^LINK = .*\)\(\-o $@\)/\1 -lICE \2/' ./src/Makefile

EDIT: side-note: I'm not sure why the PKGBUILD doesn't have a package function.    It seems to build the package tree in the build function.  This is ill advised.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-05-28 11:35:08)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2012-05-28 11:38:05

debdj

Nesrail wrote:

What does that mean???

stripping is removing symbols/variables that are generally not necessary for using a application, from a object/binary file.
for i.e debug symbols. This helps cutting down the size of those files.

#8 2012-05-28 12:02:31

Nesrail

I don't want to sound annoying or anything but what files do you want to edit??

#9 2012-05-28 13:58:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

??

If you want this to install properly you'll either have to edit the Makefile in the "src" subdirectory then cd back to the package directory and run `makepkg -efi --skipinteg`, or (the easier option) just add that sed line to the PKGBUILD then install normally using the PKGBUILD.

#10 2012-05-28 15:34:25

swanson

That source is old , the mewest is 3.4.1. A quick look in configure --help shows that it seems reasonably simple to make a new PKGBUILD with for example --disable-nautilus.

I'll try it later and report back. (Going sailing)

#11 2012-05-28 15:50:36

Nesrail

Trilby wrote:

??

If you want this to install properly you'll either have to edit the Makefile in the "src" subdirectory then cd back to the package directory and run `makepkg -efi --skipinteg`, or (the easier option) just add that sed line to the PKGBUILD then install normally using the PKGBUILD.

I added the line to the pkgbuild and got this

Please run yaourt as a non-privileged user.
sed: can't read ./src/Makefile: No such file or directory

==> ERROR: An unknown error has occurred. Exiting...
/usr/lib/yaourt/pkgbuild.sh: line 200: 15690 User defined signal 1   PKGDEST="$YPKGDEST" makepkg "${MAKEPKG_ARG[@]}" -s -f -p ./PKGBUILD
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build brasero-lite.
==> Restart building brasero-lite ? [y/N]
==> -------------------------------------
==> 

#12 2012-05-28 15:55:40

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Where did you add the line?  Did you put it right before the make command(s) in the build function as advised?

Also, did you try running yaourt as a regular user as directed by that first error?

Or just don't bother with yaourt at all.  You've already downloaded the source - it'll be sitting there in your /tmp/ directory.  Just edit the PKGBUILD as directed and use makepkg.

FYI: I use yaourt and am very happy with it - it works well.  There is a reason, however, why many people discourage new users from using it or any other AUR helper.  You should learn to use makepkg and the associated tools yourself so you can solve problems on your own - or at least reduce the ammount of hand-holding needed for other community members to help you solve the problem.

Edit: This may have sounded a bit judgemental, that was not intended.  It was intended, however, to encourage you to learn to use those tools effectively.  I'd rather teach someone to fish than just give them a fish.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-05-28 15:59:13)

#13 2012-05-28 16:33:41

Nesrail

Trilby wrote:

Where did you add the line?  Did you put it right before the make command(s) in the build function as advised?

I added the line just after "Providers".

Also, did you try running yaourt as a regular user as directed by that first error?.

Yes

FYI: I use yaourt and am very happy with it - it works well.  There is a reason, however, why many people discourage new users from using it or any other AUR helper.  You should learn to use makepkg and the associated tools yourself so you can solve problems on your own - or at least reduce the ammount of hand-holding needed for other community members to help you solve the problem.

Edit: This may have sounded a bit judgemental, that was not intended.  It was intended, however, to encourage you to learn to use those tools effectively.  I'd rather teach someone to fish than just give them a fish.

Actually I thought yaourt was an extension of pacman and as easy to use. Its brilliant but lately I got alot of trouble with it. I ALWAYS search the internet and read about the stuff I use and asking for help is my last solution. I been using Linux for years (still considers myself a Linux newbie) but never needed so much knowledge about a distro as Arch. But I get the point. I will try and figure it out myself :-).
Off topic: Do you have any recommandation for what to read to fully understand Arch and/or linux, except for the Arch wiki?

#14 2012-05-28 17:41:07

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Nesrail wrote:

I suppose in retrospect my earlier post could have been ambiguous.  It should be *directly* before the make lines.  Here is some context

build() {
  cd ${srcdir}/brasero-${pkgver}
  ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --disable-caches --disable-schemas-install
  make || return 1
  make GCONF_DISABLE_MAKEFILE_SCHEMA_INSTALL=1 DESTDIR=${pkgdir} install || return 1

mkdir -p ${pkgdir}/usr/share/gconf/schemas
  gconf-merge-schema ${pkgdir}/usr/share/gconf/schemas/${pkgname}.schemas \
    ${pkgdir}/etc/gconf/schemas/*.schemas
  rm -f ${pkgdir}/etc/gconf/schemas/*.schemas
}

The line starting with "sed" was added.

Off topic: Do you have any recommandation for what to read to fully understand Arch and/or linux

YES

... except for the Arch wiki?

Oh, then no ;o)  I suppose I've found a lot of answers in the docs at  www.gnu.org.  The Make manual in particular relates to the current problem.

Just tinker.  Making your own programs, or packages, a couple times when you don't have a clue what you're doing will give you the opportunity to run into every problem that could arise.  I'm no expert - and any knowledge I have comes from a long history of f*^#ing it up, trying new things, googling for solutions, and eventually getting it right.

I just tested the PKGBUILD with the added "sed" line.  The PKGBUILD that is in the AUR gave me the same error you got.  When I added the -lICE parameter to the Makefile, it worked.  But then I tried the PKGBUILD with the sed line I recommended a couple posts back, and it doesn't seem to be working for me either.  Sorry.  This will either have to be built manually, or reported as an error upstream.

#15 2012-05-28 18:14:03

Nesrail

Trilby wrote:
Nesrail wrote:

I suppose in retrospect my earlier post could have been ambiguous.  It should be *directly* before the make lines.  Here is some context

build() {
  cd ${srcdir}/brasero-${pkgver}
  ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --disable-caches --disable-schemas-install
  make || return 1
  make GCONF_DISABLE_MAKEFILE_SCHEMA_INSTALL=1 DESTDIR=${pkgdir} install || return 1

mkdir -p ${pkgdir}/usr/share/gconf/schemas
  gconf-merge-schema ${pkgdir}/usr/share/gconf/schemas/${pkgname}.schemas \
    ${pkgdir}/etc/gconf/schemas/*.schemas
  rm -f ${pkgdir}/etc/gconf/schemas/*.schemas
}

The line starting with "sed" was added.

Off topic: Do you have any recommandation for what to read to fully understand Arch and/or linux

YES

... except for the Arch wiki?

Oh, then no ;o)  I suppose I've found a lot of answers in the docs at  www.gnu.org.  The Make manual in particular relates to the current problem.

Just tinker.  Making your own programs, or packages, a couple times when you don't have a clue what you're doing will give you the opportunity to run into every problem that could arise.  I'm no expert - and any knowledge I have comes from a long history of f*^#ing it up, trying new things, googling for solutions, and eventually getting it right.

I just tested the PKGBUILD with the added "sed" line.  The PKGBUILD that is in the AUR gave me the same error you got.  When I added the -lICE parameter to the Makefile, it worked.  But then I tried the PKGBUILD with the sed line I recommended a couple posts back, and it doesn't seem to be working for me either.  Sorry.  This will either have to be built manually, or reported as an error upstream.

Alright. Thanks for the help anyway. I better read some Arch Linux wiki now then :-D

Board footer