You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-22 12:20:36

ZombieX

[PART SOLVED] Random j, k characters appearing on lines. A vim issue?

Hi There,

I recently noticed that when scrolling around a file using the keys j and k in normal mode that random j and k characters appear at the end of lines. Initially I thought this was a terminal issue so I switched terminals, no luck. I removed all erroneous crap from .vim, no luck. I have googled around a bit, and it appears this is a known issue with jslint, but this is occuring with no plugins. Ctrl-l removes the random characters, and they don't appear to be getting written to the file, but it is annoying non the less.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited by ZombieX (2012-05-25 12:36:50)

#2 2012-05-23 17:31:17

magicalChicken
Website

Re: [PART SOLVED] Random j, k characters appearing on lines. A vim issue?

I have seen something similar when pressing "O" to start editing on the previous line. The O appears on the file as though I was in insert mode for a second, then vim starts behaving normally and enters insert mode on the previous line. I don't know what is wrong, but it seems to only happen just after starting vim, not after it is running for a while.

#3 2012-05-25 12:35:20

ZombieX

Thanks for the reply. In my case, it appears more frequent when you scroll back and forth over pages using j and k. I haven't noticed anything with the 'O' command but I will keep an I out. I haven't been able to find the root cause of this, nor have I found any 'real' fixes so I either deal with it or use emacs with VIM bindings. I'll consider this closed.

#4 2012-05-29 22:04:14

bsilbaugh

Which version of vim are you using? Is this an issue with the latest version of vim available in the arch 'extra' repository?

- Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. -- Mark Twain
- There's a remedy for everything but death. -- The wise fool, Sancho Panza
- The purpose of a system is what it does. -- Anthony Stafford Beer

Board footer