You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-02 11:34:04

Michel

compiling without .la libtool-files

Heya,

I4m subscribed to testing and noticed that .la-files are being removed (it was announced, I know). Anyway, I'm tryinf to compile some programs: xine-lib and evas-cvs and they both won't compile because of missing .la-files.

If I understand correctly, the .la-files are used in the linking-process. It helps with platform-independent linking it seems and are also usefull for uninstalling libraries I think.

Know .. the question. How does one build applications without using the .la-files? If they are used for linking, is there something that can replace them or what is the point for removing them? It seems they interfere with package-managers, but could you give an example of that?

greetings,

Michel

#2 2005-09-02 15:00:20

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: compiling without .la libtool-files

Michel wrote:

If I understand correctly, the .la-files are used in the linking-process. It helps with platform-independent linking it seems and are also usefull for uninstalling libraries I think.

Know .. the question. How does one build applications without using the .la-files? If they are used for linking, is there something that can replace them or what is the point for removing them? It seems they interfere with package-managers, but could you give an example of that?

It's not really an interferance thing, it's mainly that the .la files do some sort of half-assed pacman-style stuff.  The la files contain references to what was installed and built and where they are - things like that.  Ideally, I think, if you had 0 .la files on your system, everything would go fine.  You run into issues when, say, there's a "libjimmy.la" file which is picked up while building and libjimmy.la references "libgnome.la" which is now gone.

I'm not 100% sure of this, as I'm not using testing....

#3 2005-09-02 21:54:16

JGC
Developer

phrakture is correct on this one. Removing those .la files from the package that contains libjimmy.la would solve the problem in this case.

About xine-lib: I built xine-lib with success on my system, so the libraries required by it are already done, unless you have other libs on your system that are picked up by xine-lib...

#4 2005-09-03 00:15:06

Michel

Heya,

I'm compiling the cvs-version of xine and may have another PKGBUILD than the ARCH-one.

Here is my error:

/bin/sh ../../libtool-nofpic --tag=CC --mode=link gcc  -DXINE_COMPILE  -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -I../../src/video_out/vidix -I../../src/video_out/vidix -I/usr/include     -mtune=athlon -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -falign-functions=4 -falign-loops=4 -falign-jumps=4  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -fexpensive-optimizations -fschedule-insns2 -fno-strict-aliasing -ffast-math -funroll-loops -finline-functions -Wall -DNDEBUG -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DXINE_COMPILE  -Wnested-externs -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -march=athlon-tbird -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -maccumulate-outgoing-args   -o xineplug_vo_out_sdl.la -rpath /usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.1.0 -avoid-version -module  alphablend.lo video_out_sdl.lo -L/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib -lSDL -lpthread ../../src/xine-engine/libxine.la 
grep: /usr/lib/libstdc++.la: No such file or directory
/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libstdc++.la: No such file or directory
libtool-nofpic: link: `/usr/lib/libstdc++.la' is not a valid libtool archive
make[4]: *** [xineplug_vo_out_sdl.la] Fout 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/michel/ontwikkeling/software-compiling/xine/src/xine-lib-1.1.1/src/video_out'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Fout 1

Can anyone tell me how to get it compiled (, maybe what is going wrong ... and what .la are used for in this case)? Is libxine.la being created here?

thanks and greetings,

Michel

#5 2005-09-03 15:20:04

TomE

i'am probably missing the point completely but could'nt yo do some thing like slocate *.la> ./rmla && rm -f $(cat ./rmla)
?

#6 2005-09-03 15:58:13

JGC
Developer

grep -l libstdc /usr/lib/*.la

That should return all libs with references to libstdc++.la, recompile those packages and delete their .la files from the build() function in the PKGBUILD.

#7 2005-09-03 19:33:13

Michel

Heya,

thanks for the answer, I'll try it.

greetings and thanks,

Michel

Board footer