You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-25 15:50:14

i_love_penguins
Website

Is there something to pay attention to when making a backup of a SSD?

Hi,

I want to backup my SSD (Arch linux system + home). Can I just use dd to do this?
And will it be possible to restore the dd-image later to the same disk?
I'm not sure if there has to be something aligned on the SSD or something else related...

Thanks!

EDIT: I don't want a backup on a regular basis. I just want an image of the disk because I temporarily have to install something else on it.

Last edited by i_love_penguins (2012-05-25 15:50:56)

#2 2012-05-25 17:58:27

Awebb

Re: Is there something to pay attention to when making a backup of a SSD?

I have done this before and it worked. Most tools work well, Clonezilla, Acronis and even pure dd. Just make sure you save the whole drive and not just single partitions.

#3 2012-05-25 18:19:03

alphaniner

I'd suggest looking into fs aware image tools like fsarchiver and partimage.  With dd you're copying and restoring empty space.  It's great for imaging your MBR however.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#4 2012-05-25 20:08:12

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

I suggest a simple script with rsync or with backintime if you want a GUI and incremental.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#5 2012-05-30 18:50:06

integer
Website

i_love_penguins wrote:

I want to backup my SSD (Arch linux system + home). Can I just use dd to do this?
And will it be possible to restore the dd-image later to the same disk?

Sure you can use dd.  If you're concerned about empty space causing the backup file to grow, just pass the dd output to gzip (assuming your drive is /dev/sda):

dd if=/dev/sda | gzip > ssd_backup.gz

Then, if you need to restore to the same drive:

gunzip -c ssd_backup.gz | dd of=/dev/sda
i_love_penguins wrote:

I'm not sure if there has to be something aligned on the SSD or something else related...

dd just reads the file (in this case, your drive) bit by bit, it will dump everything back just the way it was.

#6 2012-05-30 20:20:14

ewaller
Administrator

integer wrote:

Sure you can use dd.  If you're concerned about empty space causing the backup file to grow, just pass the dd output to gzip (assuming your drive is /dev/sda):

dd if=/dev/sda | gzip > ssd_backup.gz

BE VERY CAREFUL that you don't try writing ssd_backup.gz to any of the volumes on /dev/sda. 

dd just reads the file (in this case, your drive) bit by bit, it will dump everything back just the way it was.

Provided you tell it the correct destination.  If you make an error, dd will efficiently overwrite whatever was at the destination you provided.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer