You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-02 12:22:58

foobarch

Enigmail broken

My Enigmail v1.4.1 setup is broken (using Thunderbird 12.0.1-1), possibly since the last gnupg upgrade from 2.0.19-1 -> 2.0.19-2.

That's what I can find in the Enigmail logs:

[snip]
[DEBUG] enigmail.js: detectGpgAgent: gpg-connect-agent is executable
[CONSOLE] enigmail> /usr/bin/gpg-connect-agent
[ERROR] subprocess.jsm: got error from stdinWorker: expected type int, got (void 0)
[DEBUG] detectGpgAgent detection terminated with 256
[DEBUG] enigmail.js: detectGpgAgent: no running gpg-agent. Output='' error text='gpg-connect-agent: can't connect to the agent: IPC connect call failed'
[snip]

Anybody knows how to fix this? Couldn't find any bugs upstream (maybe just incapable of browsing super-slow bugzilla though).

#2 2012-05-11 15:29:01

linduxed
Website

Re: Enigmail broken

Experiencing the same issue, haven't found a solution yet.

#3 2012-05-30 10:28:14

dif

I think my problem is also related to engmail.
When I close Thunderbird,  it tends to remain running in the background. I have to kill the process, before I can restart Thunderbird.
It happens in about 50% of cases.

I noticed that this problem occurs always when the OpenPGP-->Key_Management option cannot display the keys, trying to import them. At the same time the OpenPGP-->Settings option displays a statement "Unable to locate GnuPG" in the Files and Directories/Folders section.  In all other cases Thunderbird can be closed normally. (I use Polish interface so the correct English names of the options may be different from the ones write here.)

I tried setting the location of GnuPG manually in the settings (/usr/bin/gnupg or /usr/bin/gnupg2), but that did not change the situation - Thunderbird cannot locate gnupg(2) in 50% cases. It looks rather funny to see to statements in the settings panel: one informing that gpg cannot be found and the other showing the location.

On top of that I have received a message signed with a separated signature. Enigmail says the signature is wrong, but when I save the signature file and run gnupg --verify, the signature is confirmed as correct. This seems to happen independently of the key management problem described above.

How do you set your NSPR_LOG_MODULES variable to get your logs?
Do you have any problems with closing Thunderbird?

#4 2012-05-30 22:10:23

steelneck

dif wrote:

When I close Thunderbird,  it tends to remain running in the background. I have to kill the process, before I can restart Thunderbird.

I have that problem too.

#5 2012-06-02 16:58:00

lordminx

dif wrote:

Same here. I don't even know where to start on this one, though. Sometimes, Enigmail initializes perfectly, automatically finds gpg2 and works. Sometimes, it doesn't find anything, hangs on trying to load the keys and then thunderbird-bin doesn't quit correctly.

Any recommendations?

#6 2012-06-05 09:06:56

foggy

dif wrote:

I noticed that this problem occurs always when the OpenPGP-->Key_Management option cannot display the keys, trying to import them. At the same time the OpenPGP-->Settings option displays a statement "Unable to locate GnuPG" in the Files and Directories/Folders section.  In all other cases Thunderbird can be closed normally. (I use Polish interface so the correct English names of the options may be different from the ones write here.)

I tried setting the location of GnuPG manually in the settings (/usr/bin/gnupg or /usr/bin/gnupg2), but that did not change the situation - Thunderbird cannot locate gnupg(2) in 50% cases. It looks rather funny to see to statements in the settings panel: one informing that gpg cannot be found and the other showing the location.

On top of that I have received a message signed with a separated signature. Enigmail says the signature is wrong, but when I save the signature file and run gnupg --verify, the signature is confirmed as correct. This seems to happen independently of the key management problem described above.

Yup, second that.

#7 2012-06-09 22:30:42

steelneck

For me the problem seem to be gone now after my last update when Thunderbird 13.0 needed an update of enigmail.

#8 2012-06-11 20:54:36

lordminx

steelneck wrote:

For me the problem seem to be gone now after my last update when Thunderbird 13.0 needed an update of enigmail.

Thought so too, but I still have the problem with TB 13 und Enigmail 1.4.2. Every now and then it works, but most of the time Enigmail fails to find and initialize gpg.

#9 2012-06-12 08:55:35

dif

The upgrade to TB 13 did not change anything.
I have noticed that if TB remains running in the background after switching it off, gpg-agent also remains running in the background. Killing the lingering instant of gpg-agent or not does not seem to affect the next attempt to run TB. I can have four gpg-agents running in the background.
Interestingly, gpg-agent does not show

ps aux | grep -v grep | grep gpg

in the list of processes when TB starts correctly.

#10 2012-06-13 08:31:44

spicewiesel

Same problem here. I have to start Thunderbird several times to get it. In the other cases TB does not find the gpg binary (see OpenPGP Preferences).
Anyway, _If_ Thunderbird an Enigmail are fine, I get the passphrase prompt 2 times when opening 1 mail.
So, if I want to open an encrypted/signed mail an get the attachement, I have to type my passphrase 3 times. 2times to open the mail, 1time to save the file. Dunno why it's not caching.

#11 2012-06-13 11:42:54

derhil

- Create /etc/profile.d/gpg-agent.sh

#!/bin/sh

envfile="${HOME}/.gnupg/gpg-agent.env"

if test -f "$envfile" && kill -0 $(grep GPG_AGENT_INFO "$envfile" | cut -d: -f 2) 2>/dev/null; then
    eval "$(cat "$envfile")"
else
    eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon --write-env-file "$envfile")"
fi

export GPG_AGENT_INFO

- set path in enigmail

/usr/bin/gpg2

- relogin

#12 2012-07-12 21:12:02

zozi56

It seems to have been fixed in Enigmail 1.4.3.

Board footer