You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-12 12:44:33

pcs333

Connecting via dhcpcd

hi
i`ve setup my usb cable modem using the cdcether module built into the kernel, and for the past couple of weeks its been fine......until i had a crash and now the modem seems to connect to my isp`s network ok but i cannot browse or download anything.The flashing lights on my modem indicate that its connected.

I`m using dhcpcd to initiate my modem.
If i do "dhcpcd eth1" it says already started.
If i do "dhcpcd" it takes about 2-3 mins but after that my connection is fine.

Can anyone tell me why and what the command "dhcpcd" is actually doing.
And of course how can i get it to work at boot-up again.

thanks

#2 2003-12-13 11:29:19

dp
Website

Re: Connecting via dhcpcd

dhcpcd is a DHCP client daemon (d-h-c-p-c-d), and what it does is this:
it searches for a dhcp-server in your LAN or network and gets the IP, netmask, broadcast-address and other infos and configures the network-interface with these infos

the correct way of starting a network-addapter is (very similar what "/etc/rc.d/network start" does):
$ifconfig ethX up
$dhcpcd
... in normal cases this will respond in about 1 or 2 seconds (with a network-addapter)

unfortunately i never used a modem/cable-modem over usb (my ADSL-router works over LAN), so i'm sorry that i cannot help you in this way

... but can you post the output of "ifconfig" here? with this info, you can say probably what is wrong

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2003-12-16 00:48:10

pcs333

Re: Connecting via dhcpcd

thanks alot for the info, i`ve added dhcpcd to deamons array in rc.conf and it seems ok now  big_smile

couldn`t understand why it just stopped working  :cry:
probably me ...............operator error  lol

Board footer