You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-31 18:58:29

baldzhang

booting a 32bit kernel on MacbookPro 6,2 from usb

i have already read the wiki, search the forum, and googled....

what i found and done:

0) prepare usb, it's formated with original fat32, create dir /efi/boot
1) copy BOOTX64.EFI / BOOTX64.CONF from fedora 17 x86_64 and modified, EFI firmware is 64-bit, already checked.
2) edit conf that can load kernel / initramfs, it's grub format

what i got

a) a 32-bit kernel can boot, but ehci-hcd told me it can NOT found IRQ, then the keyboard is not working
b) finally test with the 64-bit kernel, it's worked!
  i had test with the same way on a harddisk with grub2-efi before, but not test 64-bit kernel, 32-bit kernel is the same
c) EFI boot files from fedora 17 i686 is not woke, press option key not show the boot icon

what i want

mac osx / arch i686 / arch x86_64 triple boot. i accept to press option key after power on, so no need rEFIt, no need to boot osx from grub
now i think arch x86_64 is ok, but still need a 32-bit environment.
a workaround is boot from a 64-bit kernel, use the 32-bit applications, but i need to compile kernel also...

any help is welcome
thanks a lot

#2 2012-05-31 20:54:42

the.ridikulus.rat

Re: booting a 32bit kernel on MacbookPro 6,2 from usb

baldzhang wrote:

i have already read the wiki, search the forum, and googled....

what i found and done:

0) prepare usb, it's formated with original fat32, create dir /efi/boot
1) copy BOOTX64.EFI / BOOTX64.CONF from fedora 17 x86_64 and modified, EFI firmware is 64-bit, already checked.
2) edit conf that can load kernel / initramfs, it's grub format

what i got

a) a 32-bit kernel can boot, but ehci-hcd told me it can NOT found IRQ, then the keyboard is not working
b) finally test with the 64-bit kernel, it's worked!
  i had test with the same way on a harddisk with grub2-efi before, but not test 64-bit kernel, 32-bit kernel is the same

Check whether "noefi" kernel parameter makes the IRQ error go away. AFAIK ehci (USB 2) issues should not be related to firmware being used.

c) EFI boot files from fedora 17 i686 is not woke, press option key not show the boot icon

Fedora i686 iso supports only 32-bit EFI. On the other hand, Fedora x86_64 iso supports only 64-bit (U)EFI.
what i want

mac osx / arch i686 / arch x86_64 triple boot. i accept to press option key after power on, so no need rEFIt, no need to boot osx from grub
now i think arch x86_64 is ok, but still need a 32-bit environment.
a workaround is boot from a 64-bit kernel, use the 32-bit applications, but i need to compile kernel also...

any help is welcome
thanks a lot

Using 32-bit kernel in 64-bit firmware is not recommended. The kernel and EFI arch should match for problem-less boot.

I suggest going for a 64-bit kernel with multilib or 64-bit kernel with 32-bit chroot. In your case 32-bit chroot would be a better option. What exactly do you need a 32-bit kernel for?

#3 2012-05-31 22:46:49

baldzhang

Re: booting a 32bit kernel on MacbookPro 6,2 from usb

the.ridikulus.rat wrote:

Check whether "noefi" kernel parameter makes the IRQ error go away. AFAIK ehci (USB 2) issues should not be related to firmware being used.

"noefi" already tested, no any different, and i think it's on the wrong direction...

Fedora i686 iso supports only 32-bit EFI. On the other hand, Fedora x86_64 iso supports only 64-bit (U)EFI.

got the idea

Using 32-bit kernel in 64-bit firmware is not recommended. The kernel and EFI arch should match for problem-less boot.

emmm... no many knowedge of EFI, on a BIOS laptop/desktop, my system always dual boot of i686/x86_64

I suggest going for a 64-bit kernel with multilib or 64-bit kernel with 32-bit chroot. In your case 32-bit chroot would be a better option. What exactly do you need a 32-bit kernel for?

i used a whole 32-bit system with 64bit kernel only before, it's work fine.
but when re-compile the kernel, it detect the ARCH to x86_64, how to compile a 32-bit kernel on this environment?
this is the last problem for me.

thanks for your information and suguestion.

Board footer