You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-31 06:29:38

xworld

[SOLVED]Selecting Packages

I hate to ask such questions but I have referred to the Arch Wiki and even in the begginners guide it is rather brief. I don't seem to have a problem setting anything up until I get to the part about selecting packages. I switch to tty7 and it can't seem to find any packages from any of the repositories. I am wondering if I am selecting the wrong source right in the beginning? Again, sorry but I can't seem to find the answer

Last edited by xworld (2012-07-22 02:19:26)

#2 2012-05-31 06:34:17

marenkay
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Selecting Packages

If you set up a network connection prior to package selection, you should so package sources with -local and -remote suffixes. If you chose the -remote ones, you should be able to select from other groups than base, and base-devel.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … up_network covers setting up network.

#3 2012-05-31 06:47:53

xworld

I should specify I guess. When I go to the selecting packages part after partitioning the disk in the initial setup it can't find anything and when I switch to the tty F7 it lists all the sources and says something like "no address record found" or something like that. I am pretty sure I have done everything else in the setup beforehand correctly. Perhaps configuring the network manually had something to do with it? I just want to figure out why that particular part doesnt work when it seems I do everyting else right

#4 2012-05-31 08:26:26

Gcool

So your network connectivity in general is working fine? If so, check if ipv6 is enabled and consider disabling it.

Burninate!

#5 2012-05-31 08:31:07

Awebb

Have you tried pinging the mirror you have chosen? If your network connection is fine, try another mirror, maybe you are the lucky one of a hundred today smile

#6 2012-05-31 20:25:05

xworld

I went through setting up the network after selecting the source. Perhaps I need to set up the wireless in live environment? I figured manually configuring my network would be enough. I am using a netinstall dual image. Does that have something to do with it?

#7 2012-05-31 21:33:57

ewaller
Administrator

Wait.  Are you using wired or wireless?  Wireless requires a bit more setup than wired.  If you are trying to use wireless, please describe in detail the AP to which you want to attach.  Is it open, WEP, WPA ?  If it is WPA, you will need some more packages installed before you can install packages using the wireless (kind of a catch-22).

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2012-05-31 21:38:04

brass

I been having similar problems today, It seemed like network was working but pacman wasn't downloading the databases for any of the remote repositories.  I gave up on the real machine and moved over to my laptop and vmware and teh problems followed me.  I think it was the mirrors because I tried again and it started working only this time I just picked the top mirror listed.   something about kernal.org.     So....    now to retry back on the desktop later this evening.

#9 2012-05-31 22:01:25

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

brass wrote:

I think it was the mirrors because I tried again and it started working only this time I just picked the top mirror listed.   something about kernal.org.     So....    now to retry back on the desktop later this evening.

I had a similar experience with the kernel.org mirror today but issuing a pacman -Syy fixed it.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#10 2012-06-01 19:47:49

xworld

ewaller wrote:

Wait.  Are you using wired or wireless?  Wireless requires a bit more setup than wired.  If you are trying to use wireless, please describe in detail the AP to which you want to attach.  Is it open, WEP, WPA ?  If it is WPA, you will need some more packages installed before you can install packages using the wireless (kind of a catch-22).

I am using WPA2. So if I plugged in my laptop and tried the setup it should work? I guess then I'd still have to set up wireless later.

#11 2012-06-02 04:43:49

rossmcd

Yeah. It is much easier to plug it in, check /etc/rc.conf has a section like

interface=eth0
address=
netmask=
broadcast=
gateway=

for DHCP. Then do:

# rc.d restart network
OR
# /etc/rc.d/network restart

That will setup DHCP for you, then your installation should go smoothly. After you have installed, it might be a good idea to install networkmanager:

# pacman -S networkmanager networkmanager-applet
# rc.d start dbus networkmanager

and start a panel which shows the nm-applet. Start 'nm-applet' manually in a terminal if it isn't in the panel. You will be able to connect to your wireless network now, and you can now unplug the cable.

Board footer