You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-03 12:26:41

Amzo2

Manually Create Packages

I know this may sound a little strange, and you'll be wondering... "Why don't you just use makepkg?

Well, I don't actually use Arch Linux, and have always used FreeBSD, but I was interested in pacman , which I decided to port and run on FreeBSD, all is well, but now I'm stuck at creating packages from within the ports.

The idea was to make a script, which would build the port, then package up the binary files that are in 'work/$portname-$portversion' and create packages that would be compatible with pacman .

I was wondering if anyone knew the steps to manually create packages from a compiled source, so then I can implement it into a working script to use with my port tree.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[amzo@Bahamut ~]$ uname -a ; pacman -V
FreeBSD Bahamut 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan  3 07:15:25 UTC 2012     root@obrian.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

.--.                  Pacman v4.0.3 - libalpm v7.0.3

#2 2012-06-03 13:11:37

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Manually Create Packages

I still think you should explain why you won't "just use makepkg", but in the meantime, at least have a read through it - in particular, look at the -R/--repackage option, which repackages without recompiling.

#3 2012-06-03 13:15:38

Amzo2

The reason I won't use Makepkg, is because the PKGBUILDS, won't build under FreeBSD. I've kinda made a working script to make packages, but it's no where near advance as makepkg is.

Well, it seems to be working fine for now, but doesn't handle dependencies well.

#!/bin/bash

me=`basename $0`
myver='1.0'
startdir=`pwd`
pkgname=`grep PORTNAME= Makefile | awk '{print $2}'`
pkgver=`grep PORTVERSION= Makefile | awk '{print $2}'`
[ -f /etc/makepkg.conf ] && . /etc/makepkg.conf

strip_url() {
  echo $1 | sed 's|^.*://.*/||g'
}

if [ ! -f $startdir/Makefile ]; then
  echo "error: Are you in the port directory?"
  exit
fi

# Make pkg dir
mkdir -p pkg

# build
echo "==> Building Package..."
make PREFIX=$startdir/pkg install

# write the .PKGINFO file
echo "==> Generating .PKGINFO file..."
cd $startdir/pkg
echo "# Generated by makepkg $myver" >.PKGINFO
echo -n "# " >>.PKGINFO
date >>.PKGINFO
echo "pkgname = $pkgname" >>.PKGINFO
echo "pkgver = $pkgver" >>.PKGINFO

# remove info files
cd $startdir
rm -rf pkg/usr/info pkg/usr/share/info

# strip binaries
cd $startdir
echo "==> Stripping debugging symbols from libraries..."
find pkg/{,usr,usr/local}/lib -type f \
   -exec /usr/bin/strip --strip-debug '{}' ';'
echo "==> Stripping symbols from binaries..."
find pkg/{,usr,usr/local}/{bin,sbin} -type f \
   -exec /usr/bin/strip '{}' ';'

# tar it up
echo "==> Compressing package..."
cd $startdir/pkg
tar czvf $startdir/$pkgname-$pkgver.pkg.tar.gz .PKGINFO *

cd $startdir
echo "==> Finished";

And the packages play fine with pacman. Wooo big_smile

[amzo@Bahamut /usr/ports/x11-wm/dwm]$ sudo pacman -U dwm-6.0.pkg.tar.gz 
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (1): dwm-6.0

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                               [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                                                    [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                              [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                                                            [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) installing dwm                                                                                                           [#############################################################################] 100%

The only problem that this brings to the field, is that it doesn't play nice with the database:

error: invalid name for database entry 'dwm-6.0'

Maybe someone could help me here a bit, someone who's more experienced with creating packages?

Last edited by Amzo2 (2012-06-03 13:42:07)

#4 2012-06-03 13:44:05

tomk
Forum Fellow

"the PKGBUILDS won't build"... a bit vague, don't you think?

I know very little about *BSD, but I would expect that you would have to change things to some degree to get makepkg and pacman working as intended. How about taking one or two representative PKGBUILDs and digging a bit deeper to establish why they "won't build"?

#5 2012-06-03 14:00:05

Amzo2

It's due to the way the ports build, they don't use gnumake, but their own version of make. This version of make has a huge list of .mk files which contains system variables, for building software from the port. This includes patches, options etc. If I were to try and build with a PKGBUILD, it would just error. So to make makepkg work with a pkgbuild, it would require me rewriting every PKGBUILD I wanted to use.

So the simplest way for me, was to find a way to make a package using the ports, since then, all the software already has a Makefile. and once I make the working script to work with the make files and ports, I will need no more work, but to run the script and have the package created.

That's the best as I can explain it. ;p

#6 2012-06-03 20:48:15

Amzo2

Well I managed to fix the database issue by passing the value from PORTREVISION into the package naming. So everything is working fine now, just a few little bugs. So now it's just to fix them and make my local repo for my FreeBSD machines:

Removing a package:

[amzo@Bahamut /usr/ports/irc]$ sudo pacman -R irssi
checking dependencies...

Targets (1): irssi-0.8.15-1

Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] y
(1/1) removing irssi     [##] 100%

Checking packages:

[amzo@Bahamut /usr/ports/irc]$ pacman -Qs irssi
[amzo@Bahamut /usr/ports/irc]$ irssi
bash: /bin/irssi: No such file or directory 

Reinstalling:

[amzo@Bahamut /usr/ports/irc]$ sudo pacman -U irssi/irssi-0.8.15.pkg.tar.gz 
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (1): irssi-0.8.15-1

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking package integrity         [###############] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                  [###############] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts            [###############] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space    [###############] 100%
(1/1) installing irssi                              [###############] 100% 

And running it:

[amzo@Bahamut /usr/ports/irc]$ irssi -v
irssi 0.8.15 (20100403 1617) 

The makepkg I wrote to use the FreeBSD ports isn't nearly as advance as the one on Arch Linux, but it makes working packages for now. I'll have to improve it.

Board footer