You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-04 13:14:55

scar

[SOLVED] xfce/slim shutdown and reboot problems

I know, this is not the first post of this problem, but I really want to protect my laptop with a password ( so, SLIM ).

I'm using xfce on the laptop, and everything works, but I just cannot setup slim with xfce, so that it works.

Shutdown and reboot don't work properly (they drop me back to the SLIM screen ) or they're greyed out, depending on the .xinitrc that I use.

If I don't use SLIM, log in to bash and launch X manually, with " exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch startxfce4 ",
shutdown and reboot are working.

dbus is in my daemons array, my user is part of the power group

nothing in my logs...

Could somebody please give me a solution to this and update the wiki page?

Last edited by scar (2012-06-05 08:44:46)

“The future has already arrived. It's just not evenly distributed yet.”
― William Gibson

#2 2012-06-04 13:51:35

prasinoulhs

Re: [SOLVED] xfce/slim shutdown and reboot problems

Take a look  here.

#3 2012-06-04 15:21:20

anonymous_user

Just FYI the wikis were updated:

Note: slim is ConsoleKit capable since version 1.3.3. Unless you happen to run an old version, you must no longer include ck-launch-session in your .xinitrc or slim.conf login_cmd.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sl … vironments

SLiM is also ConsoleKit capable since version 1.3.3. Unless you happen to run an old version, you must not use --with-ck-launch from your .xinitrc or slim.conf login_cmd.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce#Manually

#4 2012-06-04 18:33:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Also, if you want to "protect" your computer with a password, slim does not offer any added protection that would not be there without it.  Slim, and other login managers, are decorative only - they provide no security features whatsoever.

Edit: in fact one might even argue that one more daemonized priveledged process creates one more avenue of attack and adds a security risk.  I don't know that this would be a good argument, but slim certainly doesn't add to your systems security.  Slim is (overall) a good program IMHO, but I don't imagine it was ever intended to provide security.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-06-04 18:36:34)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2012-06-05 08:43:39

scar

I'm really touched for bringing light to my darkness, anonymous_user and Trilby. What I wanted to say was I want to add a graphical login to my laptop. And as I said, I've tried several solutions, neither worked.
The one that worked was the one posted by prasinoulhs, who did not brought light to the darkness but posted something helpful.

So the solution for me was to modify my /etc/slim.conf login_cmd as this:

login_cmd exec dbus-launch /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session

And I have this in my .xinitrc:

exec startxfce4

And this is not in the wiki. (look at the first, slim.conf line)

Sorry for posting on the forum after 10-11 hours of hard, mostly phisical work, and that I was not precise/awake enough to post precisely.

prasinoulhs, thanks again

“The future has already arrived. It's just not evenly distributed yet.”
― William Gibson

Board footer