You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-06 03:33:25

jarl-haggerty

Playing Bastion on optimus laptop with GeForce 310M

I considered posting this in the Humble Indie Bundle thread but I thought my situation might be significantly more specific.

I got Bastion though the Humble Indie Bundle.  When I first ran it I got a blank screen, but I found a fix for this in the Indie Bundle Thread.

force_s3tc_enable=true /usr/local/games/Bastion/Bastion.bin.x86_64

This worked but I was not impressed by the performance, so I tried using my nvidia card.

optirun /usr/local/games/Bastion/Bastion.bin.x86_64

Now the game runs beautifully.  Unfortunately, the screen seems to be missing it's right half and is shifted up.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69565237/Screen … 0%3A15.png

I've tried messing with the optirun compression option and using force_s3tc_enable with optimus but they don't help.  I also found this following link with a solution, but the game seems to be running on the intel graphics when I use it.

http://pleph.appspot.com/init/posts/view/2841922

#2 2012-06-08 20:52:01

justinmc

Re: Playing Bastion on optimus laptop with GeForce 310M

Jarl,

I actually created a bash script like the guy over at pleph did:

#!/bin/bash
optirun bash
cd <your Bastion Directory>
force_s3tc_enable=true LD_LIBRARY_PATH=lib64:. ./Bastion.bin.x86_64 -windowed -x 1920 -y 1200
exit $?

I initially tried running the script through a bash prompt, but after spawning a new optirun'd bash, it just kinda sat and looked at me funny til I exited. It then launched the game *shrug*.

I went ahead and edited the Bastion.desktop file in .local/share/applications to run the script instead of the binary. I put the game in windowed mode since I was having mouse trouble on my external monitor otherwise.

I've got it working perfectly now, and it's definitely using my GeForce card.

Last edited by justinmc (2012-06-08 20:53:23)

#3 2012-06-10 09:39:36

jarl-haggerty

Where you having the same problem I was with the screen? 

I wondered if the poor performance was in my head but I tried playing through the first fight scene with just optirun and with the script and the game is clearly much slower with the script.

#4 2012-06-13 02:31:11

joaoascenso

at least for me, That script starts bastion with my onboard Intel Graphics. I can start the game due to "force_s3tc_enable=true", but the performance is poor

"optirun bash" doesn't seem to do anything

#5 2012-06-13 07:22:13

jarl-haggerty

I've learned something new, sometimes Bastion actually runs very smoothly with the Intel graphics, but as I play the performance gets worse.  I actually seem to reliably repeat the effect this way:

1.  Reboot
2.  Open firefox
3.  Start Bastion
4.  Watch the game slow to a crawl over the course of several minutes.  Going to the Forge or Distillery seems to slow down the game immediately.

Could this be an OS problem?  Could there be a problem with the distribution of resources?  I use cpufreq-utils and I've already tried using the performance governor and removing the daemon.

Board footer