You are not logged in.

#26 2012-04-25 10:16:25

blackout23
Member
Registered: 2011-11-16
Posts: 780

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a … deln&num=1

Great Article about Steam on Linux with Screenshots!
This is looking really really promising!

Last edited by blackout23 (2012-04-25 10:42:38)

Offline

#27 2012-04-25 13:57:18

masteryod
Member
Registered: 2010-05-19
Posts: 433

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

This is so amazing I can't believe it! And catalyst window in the background is even more amazing... I'm so excited about this, hope it will turn as good as we hope so!

Next move belongs to AMD (and Nvidia) to improve their drivers

Offline

#28 2012-04-25 14:09:18

blackout23
Member
Registered: 2011-11-16
Posts: 780

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

Valve seems to be a really kickass company. This is their Handbook for new employees: http://newcdn.flamehaus.com/Valve_Handbook_LowRes.pdf
Their flat hierarchy is the reason why some things take a little longer thou.

I hope I'll be able to do "sudo pacman -S steam" soon.

Offline

#29 2012-04-25 15:44:54

dunc
Member
From: Glasgow, UK
Registered: 2007-06-18
Posts: 557

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

Argh! Stupid timeout! I just lost a huge long post on this. It was totally awesome and really insightful. You'll just have to trust me.

Anyway, suffice to say that although I'm sceptical until we hear from Gabe Newell himself, I'm inclined to believe this. It rings true. MS is going to lock down Windows further and further, starting with 8, and it looks like there's no place for Steam in that world. A minimal Linux-based “SteamOS”, just for gaming, would allow Valve to divorce itself entirely from Microsoft without forcing users to dump Windows if they don't want to. And Valve would end up owning the PC gaming market, in the way MS has for the last two decades.

There's big money in this for Valve if they can pull it off.

(By the way, I don't think it'll benefit desktop Linux directly, because I'm not sure that's going to be Valve's focus, but they're going to need better drivers, and have the industry clout to get them...)

Last edited by dunc (2012-04-25 15:47:27)


0 Ok, 0:1

Offline

#30 2012-04-25 16:01:09

masteryod
Member
Registered: 2010-05-19
Posts: 433

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

dunc wrote:

[...](By the way, I don't think it'll benefit desktop Linux directly, because I'm not sure that's going to be Valve's focus, but they're going to need better drivers, and have the industry clout to get them...)

If think if it goes well as everyone wants it will DIRECTLY affect every desktop Linux user - whole graphics stack from kernel to drivers will benefit from this, it doesn't matter if you run terminal emulator or you're hardcore gamer, even battery life in notebooks can benefit if amd/nvidia will focus more on their linux support - of course IF it all goes well, we'll see in near future

Last edited by masteryod (2012-04-25 19:08:13)

Offline

#31 2012-04-27 09:58:04

DarkCerberus
Member
From: /dev/null
Registered: 2011-12-31
Posts: 247

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

If it's coming out for linux - then where is the "Official" announcement from Valve Corporation. I've already read the article but if I recall they did a similar tactic awhile ago back in 2010 - I'm not getting any hopes up until they (i.e valve) announces it officially.

Offline

#32 2012-05-08 22:30:07

werdna94
Member
From: Marist College
Registered: 2012-04-29
Posts: 12

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

How can you salivate a program doesn't even a bit respecting your freedom and use Linux?

I think that's a fair point--this is the operating system of Richard Stallman and the Free Software Foundation is it not?  I'd imagine a lot of controversy would result from a Steam port to gnu/linux, especially since it could bring the highly unwelcome DRM to the platform.  I'm not a Stallmanist but isn't the operating system kind of split with a major portion of its users rejecting any kind of proprietary software? If you take them into account how worth it could it be to port a proprietary client to purchase proprietary games for the system? Doesn't seem like it'd make enough money to be worth it.

Offline

#33 2012-05-08 22:42:31

Gusar
Member
Registered: 2009-08-25
Posts: 3,466

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

werdna94 wrote:

I think that's a fair point--this is the operating system of Richard Stallman and the Free Software Foundation is it not?

Nope. Linux (the kernel) isn't a FSF project, and in fact many of it's devs don't care about the FSF, they're "open source" people as opposed to "free software" people. The core userspace is GNU though. But then you have X, which again is not FSF, isn't even (L)GPL licensed.

werdna94 wrote:

isn't the operating system kind of split with a major portion of its users rejecting any kind of proprietary software?

Emm... The amount of people willing to not only run proprietary software but known vulnerable proprietary software (flash 11.1 because 11.2 has issues, nvidia 295.33 because 295.40 had issues) is... yeah. And especially gamers will very likely be using wine already. I'd say it's the opposite of what you say, the majority are *not* free software purists, but pragmatic. They use Linux because they find it better than the alternatives or because it's free (as in beer), not because it's free (as in freedom).

Last edited by Gusar (2012-05-08 22:45:53)

Online

#34 2012-05-08 22:53:22

werdna94
Member
From: Marist College
Registered: 2012-04-29
Posts: 12

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

Gusar wrote:
werdna94 wrote:

I think that's a fair point--this is the operating system of Richard Stallman and the Free Software Foundation is it not?

Nope. Linux (the kernel) isn't a FSF project, and in fact many of it's devs don't care about the FSF, they're "open source" people as opposed to "free software" people. The core userspace is GNU though. But then you have X, which again is not FSF, isn't even (L)GPL licensed.

werdna94 wrote:

isn't the operating system kind of split with a major portion of its users rejecting any kind of proprietary software?

Emm... The amount of people willing to not only run proprietary software but known vulnerable proprietary software (flash 11.1 because 11.2 has issues, nvidia 295.33 because 295.40 had issues) is... yeah. And especially gamers will very likely be using wine already. I'd say it's the opposite of what you say, the majority are *not* free software purists, but pragmatic. They use Linux because they find it better than the alternatives or because it's free (as in beer), not because it's free (as in freedom).

Fair enough, but don't you think the introduction of DRM would upset free and open software advocates a like? It's not exactly considered a good term by anybody, it sounds dangerously windows. No?

Last edited by werdna94 (2012-05-08 22:54:34)

Offline

#35 2012-05-08 23:07:15

masteryod
Member
Registered: 2010-05-19
Posts: 433

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

Gusar wrote:

They use Linux because they find it better than the alternatives or because it's free (as in beer), not because it's free (as in freedom).

Or because it's open and you can do whatever you want with it, it has great community and grate software etc. With Windows (or worse - Mac) I feel more or less like a slave (being f***) and (almost) forced to pay for this.

Last edited by masteryod (2012-05-09 11:32:37)

Offline

#36 2012-05-09 00:29:06

ConnorBehan
Trusted User (TU)
From: Long Island NY
Registered: 2007-07-05
Posts: 1,356
Website

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

If you're strongly opposed to DRM, the porting of Steam to Linux might still help indirectly. If it encourages game developers to release native Linux binaries, perhaps they will be released in some form other than Steam. And then no-cd cracks and mounted ISOs and such can be used.


6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

Offline

#37 2012-05-09 02:17:37

diegoviola
Member
Registered: 2010-12-16
Posts: 124

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

This is great news, things like 3D intensive games will push driver development forward (I hope open-source drivers) and Linux in general, for the benefit of everyone, gamers or not.

I truly hope more people and/or companies will invest in open source components like nouveau, radeon, intel drivers, Gallium3D, Mesa, Wayland and things like that, so the whole open source stack improves as a whole and we get an out of the box experience for playing games and doing other things with great performance.

Let's hope it happens.

Last edited by diegoviola (2012-05-09 02:49:57)

Offline

#38 2012-05-09 14:42:05

masteryod
Member
Registered: 2010-05-19
Posts: 433

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ … 71002.html

Not hell freeze day yet but EA (big fat dumb corporation focused only on profit) actually acknowledge Linux existence, well Ubuntu to be precise and still just browser games... but this kind of news couple years ago was pure sci-fi!

Last edited by masteryod (2012-05-09 14:51:54)

Offline

#39 2012-05-21 10:33:05

Artefact2
Member
From: France
Registered: 2008-04-22
Posts: 5
Website

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

Kopfweh wrote:

Gusar is right, Android uses for example OpenGLES (OpenGL for Embedded Systems), while a "regular" Linux Desktop with X11 makes use of the "normal" OpenGL

It's not a big deal, your desktop supports OpenGL ES 2 too (as it's just a subset of OpenGL 2.1). If you want proof, try running a WebGL demo on your computer smile

Offline

#40 2012-05-21 10:57:17

Gusar
Member
Registered: 2009-08-25
Posts: 3,466

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

It's not just about GL though. For a traditional linux distro, you need a DDX (device-dependent X) driver. That's what those xf86-video-* packages are, DDXes. For Android, you don't, as it doesn't use X. Consequently, there's no DDXes for the GPUs found in phones and tablets.

For the few cases where there is a DDX (like for Poulsbo), it's closed-source and works with only a specific old version of X some device (for example, a netbook with Meego) initially shipped with.

Online

#41 2012-05-23 05:16:29

KingX
Member
From: Fremont, CA
Registered: 2010-03-24
Posts: 321

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

I personally welcome the coming of Steam to GNU/Linux. If nothing more it does provide game studios with a previously untapped (relatively speaking) market, once they start making/releasing games for linux I am sure they will become available at alternative places also (GOG.com), directly from publisher/dev etc. Gives some motivation to nvidia to improve their drivers and hopefully AMD gets a clue also. Most importantly, it will remove a major reason why a lot of folks dual boot, the ol' "I play games hence need windows" excuse. smile

I am hoping GoG.com gets in on the action once devs/pubs start releasing their games for Linux.

Edit: looks like I reiterated what ConnorBehan said. tongue

Last edited by KingX (2012-05-23 05:17:40)

Offline

#42 2012-06-05 13:51:25

drcouzelis
Member
From: Connecticut, USA
Registered: 2009-11-09
Posts: 3,497
Website

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

Steam For Linux Will Launch In 2012

...So, this is it? I guess it's really happening. It's not only official, it's Gabe-official.

I bought one Steam game, Portal, before I went on my free software kick with gNewSense. I admit, I look forward to the possibility of being able to play it again. smile

Offline

#43 2012-06-06 08:25:23

Terkhen
Member
Registered: 2011-03-08
Posts: 6

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

I'm also looking forward to this. I'm currently getting great results with valve games and wine, being able to play Portal 2 with only reducing the shader a bit. But, of course, I would prefer to play them natively smile

Last edited by Terkhen (2012-06-06 08:25:30)

Offline

#44 2012-06-06 17:20:28

ZekeSulastin
Member
Registered: 2010-09-20
Posts: 266

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

Don't forget the Valve Time (TM) filter, though.

Offline

#45 2012-06-06 18:07:26

DarkCerberus
Member
From: /dev/null
Registered: 2011-12-31
Posts: 247

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

I presume that since valve are doing steam for linux, that they'll produce the software for all linux distributions (i.e provide generic support).

Offline

#46 2012-07-05 20:00:33

blackout23
Member
Registered: 2011-11-16
Posts: 780

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

Just wanted to throw this in. I'm watching the last seconds in an endless loop troughout the day.
http://bcove.me/g5nyak0b

Offline

#47 2012-07-05 21:54:47

masteryod
Member
Registered: 2010-05-19
Posts: 433

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

blackout23 wrote:

Just wanted to throw this in. I'm watching the last seconds in an endless loop troughout the day.
http://bcove.me/g5nyak0b

Yep, the best part is "why we're supporting Linux" not "we will", not "we try" or "we aim" or something like this. He actually said that they are supporting Linux.

Last edited by masteryod (2012-07-05 21:56:52)

Offline

#48 2012-07-06 05:17:03

gogi-goji
Member
From: Canada
Registered: 2009-10-20
Posts: 73
Website

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

masteryod wrote:
blackout23 wrote:

Just wanted to throw this in. I'm watching the last seconds in an endless loop troughout the day.
http://bcove.me/g5nyak0b

Yep, the best part is "why we're supporting Linux" not "we will", not "we try" or "we aim" or something like this. He actually said that they are supporting Linux.

Wow, that's absolutely awesome news!  I was taken aback by how matter-of-fact he dropped that.  It's not every day you hear a gaming company mention Linux in the way he did.

Last edited by gogi-goji (2012-07-06 05:17:18)


My (sporadically updated) blog
My miscellaneous dotfiles

Offline

#49 2012-07-06 09:54:54

blackout23
Member
Registered: 2011-11-16
Posts: 780

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

gogi-goji wrote:
masteryod wrote:
blackout23 wrote:

Just wanted to throw this in. I'm watching the last seconds in an endless loop troughout the day.
http://bcove.me/g5nyak0b

Yep, the best part is "why we're supporting Linux" not "we will", not "we try" or "we aim" or something like this. He actually said that they are supporting Linux.

Wow, that's absolutely awesome news!  I was taken aback by how matter-of-fact he dropped that.  It's not every day you hear a gaming company mention Linux in the way he did.

Yes he also sounded very determined.

Offline

#50 2012-07-06 20:16:31

Zancarius
Member
From: NM, USA
Registered: 2012-05-06
Posts: 207

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

If he's as disappointed with Windows 8 as is claimed, it wouldn't be too surprising then to see that Valve is highly determined to push a Linux client out the door. On the other hand, I'm almost certain I remembered reading some musings about Linux support back when Valve released their OS X client. This is probably something they've had in mind for a while, but I'm still half-convinced Windows 8 has given them some additional motivation. With everything you've all found, I think this at least partially confirms those suspicions.

Also, what about the rumored Steam console? Much of the speculation I've read seems to lean toward it being Linux-based (if it ever does appear), but it almost seems too good to be true...

Off-topic but tangentially related:

Having used the Windows 8 release preview, I can say that if I were a developer targeting multiple platforms, I'd be pretty disappointed. It's true that there are some improvements, and if I put my Optimism Hat on for longer than is otherwise healthy, Metro doesn't look that bad. At best it feels toyish--at worst it potentially threatens any semblance of productivity. That said, there are two classifications of people I think will have the hardest time transitioning: 1) Mostly illiterate users who, either by age or by choice, don't want to have to deal with unnecessary change or lack the patience for such a dramatic paradigm shift; and 2) power users who are easily offended if the OS makes them feel stupid.

In another life, I once earned a living doing tech support, and I can say with a degree of certainty that a significant number of people in demographic #1 will have a very difficult time transitioning (these are people who had a hard time switching from Windows 98 to XP!). Gamers tend to fall under demographic #2, and while the majority of them will probably be largely apathetic and use Windows 8 because it "still works," the rest who occasionally do things other than play games on their systems may be open to alternatives (and that's the key). I suspect that many people from both #1 and #2 will continue to hold onto Windows 7 come hell or high water, possibly forcing Microsoft's hand with regards to the desktop app, but I can't imagine any scenario other than one that favors Linux, even if only slightly.

But then, Valve has had a curious advantage when it comes to foresight. Steam is a good example of taking a market by storm before any of the big players had much of a chance to realize what happened. I even remember some pundits in the early days scoffing at the notion of downloading games: "That'll never work!"

I'm not saying this means anything about Microsoft or Linux in particular, but after that video, I can't help myself from wondering just what it DOES mean...

Apologies also for the lengthy post. I hope this doesn't bother anyone!


He who has no .plan has small finger.
~Confucius on UNIX.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB