You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-09 00:43:52

Megabyte

[SOLVED] No sound

Hi,

I currently do not have any sound.  I've followed the wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AL … leshooting) and still am unable to get sound.  It appears that i do not have /etc/asound.conf but have no idea how to install that.  alsamixer-utils and alsamixer-plugins are both installed correctly but I can not find /etc/asound.conf.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Last edited by Megabyte (2012-06-09 03:02:28)

#2 2012-06-09 00:48:38

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: [SOLVED] No sound

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ALSA#Configuration

You may have to create the file if it does not exist.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2012-06-09 00:56:05

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Wiki Alsa page wrote:

To set this card as the default, you can either use the system-wide file /etc/asound.conf or the user-specific file ~/.asoundrc. You may have to create the file if it does not exist.

This is getting tiring. Even given your unfamiliarity with Linux, you are either going to have to make much more of an effort asking questions the smart way.

Arch is a good system to learn Linux on, but you can't expect to turn to the community at every step of setting up your system for help. It isn't going to help you learn and it is an unfair burden to place on the people who volunteer their time to help those who are helping themselves.

My advice, which you will no doubt not want to hear, is choose a distribution that handles all of this for you, and spend the necessary time getting to know the basics. You will then be much better placed to return to Arch and genuinely enjoy running it...

I'll leave this thread open for now, but you are fast running out of time to sort this out yourself.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2012-06-09 01:29:46

Megabyte

first, let me say that I understand that you may be frustrated with these questions.  I am new to arch linux but have been running linux for about 8 years.  some of this stuff is new to me.  i exhausted my abilities running over the wiki and overlooked that particular section of the wiki.  I do not believe that this warrants the comments above considering the fact that it confused a friend that turned me to arch.  I apologize if this is tiring for you and I guess I will direct my questions elsewhere.

#5 2012-06-09 01:42:41

headkase

Megabyte,

>Here< is a crash course on Linux culture and other general topics.  I think everyone who is new to Linux should peruse it.

I started on Ubuntu Linux, way back on Hoary Hedgehog - so long ago.  I moved up through those releases with Windows also being used, usually dual-boot, at the same time.  Eventually I installed Debian which Ubuntu is based on.  Ubuntu is basically Debian-Sid.  Debian-Sid is the cutting edge testing version.  However, Debian moves at a glacial pace and that is where Ubuntu came into play: it is a "cutting-edge Debian."  Of course the converse is also true: Debian is a "super-stable Ubuntu" just with older, well tested, software.

Going through Ubuntu was very beneficial for myself.  Quite a bit of the configuration is handled for you so most of the time you aren't even aware of it.  This is the antithesis of a "Linux Power User" however who wants to know everything themselves.  But, it has one major advantage: while you are learning everything "just works" and you can concentrate on building up a multitude of minor skills.  Once you have those minor skills under your belt you can then move to the next level.

The Ultimate goal would be able to build Linux from nothing.  That is covered in Linux From Scratch.  Once you have built Linux From Scratch, and it is recommended to have a second machine to do it on so you can google and have the web-site on the other machine, then you will be a competent Linux System Administrator.  Linux From Scratch however is overkill for most users.  You can pick up quite a bit of knowledge as you go from practically any system.

My recommendation?  Download the latest Ubuntu .iso file, 32 or 64 bit - if you have more than 3GB of memory and a 64 bit processor get 64 bit - and burn it to a disc.  You can boot off that disc straight into a graphical environment if you have enough memory.  It will let you test to see if your hardware is compatible - just by working in that live environment - and if you are satisfied it is then you can run the installation program on the desktop and have it install.

Get familiar with the shell - command line - and the basic commands like "ls", "rm", "mv", and etc.  Type "man <command-name>" in a shell to get information about it.

I think everyone who is new to Linux should start with a friendly distribution.  Right now that is Ubuntu or one of its derivatives called "Linux Mint."  Build up your base from there.

Or you can stick with Arch some more.  If you decide to do that however: every time you think about making a post here in the forums instead search for the category both on the Wiki (first), and then in the search function of this board (second).  If you don't know what you should be searching for then a post on this forum that would be better received is along the lines of: "I am having <describe issue>.  Would someone helpfully let me know which Wiki pages covers that <issue>?"  Arch is self-serve, you gotta work with it that way.

Edit: You made your post while I was writing this epic tome.  wink

Last edited by headkase (2012-06-09 01:47:28)

#6 2012-06-09 02:13:05

headkase

Megabyte,

Try this:

sudo pacman -S pkgtools
sudo pkgfile --update

(You don't need to install pkgtools, just as shown now it is a useful command):

pkgfile /usr/sbin/alsactl

Alsactl is in:

extra/alsa-utils

Also,

pkgfile /usr/bin/alsamixer

ALSAMixer is in:

extra/alsa-utils

So,
Install alsa-utils:

sudo pacman -S alsa-utils

(Use a mixer, alsamixer - from alsa-utils or another mixer of your choice, to set your desired volumes and sound hardware selection)
Then,

sudo alsactl store

Then in

/etc/rc.conf

in the DAEMONS array, add "alsa" before your graphical environment is started whether it be a login manager OR straight into some kind of environment.

Mine looks like:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus hwclock alsa network crond slim)

After this reboot.  Having "alsa" in your DAEMONS array just stores your volume on shutdown and restores it on startup.

Last edited by headkase (2012-06-09 02:15:18)

#7 2012-06-09 03:02:03

Megabyte

Thanks headkase, I appreciate the comments.  I am doing my best to not post "trivial" questions here but sometimes overlook things.  I was working on my laptop, which I have compiled from scratch (arch linux and dwm) and seem to have difficulties with the smaller things.  Perhaps I am making it harder than it should be.

As for the alsamixer, I was able to get it working by creating the asound.conf in /etc and then adjusting the settings.  I realize that this was in the wiki, but, again, I missed it.  My fault, I know.  Anyway, thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

#8 2012-06-09 03:09:47

headkase

You're welcome, please don't be off-put to Arch - people are naturally good in my humble opinion.. wink

Board footer