You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-16 14:58:33

dauphin

KDM - cannot switch user

Not sure when this started because I don't normally do it very often, but I have found this morning that I can no longer switch users with kdm.

When I select "Login as different user", the X display closes as normal - but then doesn't come up again; just a blank screen and no alternative but to press the reset button.

It doesn't make any difference if I log in initially as user or root; both work OK, but then I cannot switch to the other.

I can see this being very inconvenient, so if anyone has come across the problem or has any suggestions I'd be grateful.

#2 2003-12-17 09:06:38

dauphin

Re: KDM - cannot switch user

Well I found the cause, but not a full solution.  I had edited XF86Config the other day to enable DRI.  By disabling DRI again everything is back to normal. 
I suspect this results from some problem involving my Radeon 7500 card and DRI, as the only other instance I could find in my researches also related to a Radeon card.

#3 2003-12-23 02:07:39

_JeffG_
Website

You are not alone.  I experience this exact same thing.  I am using the ATI drivers provided by ATI.  I guess I will disable DRI then.. I do not use it anyway... but gee not being able to log out is a bad thing.  I am using kernel 2.4.23 on Arch current.  My card is a Radeon 9800.  I tried their internal agpgart and the external linux kernel version and this problem exists both places. 

This is not limited to KDM for me.  I also experience this with xdm as well.  I tried all combinations of agpgart/dri settings.  With dri disabled, sometimes I get X to restart on its own.  Otherwise I have to ctrl-alt-backspace.  With dri enabled the monitor goes to the orange state and neither keyboard or mouse or anything is responsive.

Also since dri is not enabled I am not loading the ati module. So, the breakage maybe with X or Linux 2.4.23.

However, not using a display manager and just starting with startx does not have any issues regardless of dri status.

I did have this working before on Arch and Mandrake.  Mandrake kernel was their stock 2.4.21 kernel.  Last time I used Arch I was running 2.4.22 kernel.

Biggest difference I think is that .23 recognizes my agpgart chipset where as 2.4.22 did not.  Going to test .22 now to see if the problem still exists.

Jeff

#4 2003-12-23 03:41:06

I plan to do some more research and experimention on this after the holiday - I'll will be interested to know how you get on.  I am also running 2.4.23.

#5 2003-12-23 04:21:31

_JeffG_
Website

same issue with 2.4.22

Jeff - who is going to see if the old package of XFree86 is still available and install that and see

#6 2003-12-23 05:08:14

_JeffG_
Website

Fixed!!! smile 

At least it appears to be working correctly now.

Since I use the ATI binary driver, I used their fglrxconfig tool to build my XFree config file.

I think I hit the wrong option in the port specification.

I think enabled DVI output even though I am not using that.  Also, I did not take the default tv output type NTSC-M.  I picked NTSC-N instead.

At anyrate, I can now log out of kdm or whatever and have it work as expected. 

As far as agpgart goes.  I disabled the internal agpgart and used the external (linux kernel version).  I compiled it directly in kernel.

Jeff - who is going to switch back to runlevel 5 and reboot for final test but if works then I am happy

Board footer