You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-06 21:05:53

abarahc

random freezes in some programs

hello everyone!
My doubts, basically, is whether there is some kind of "inefficiency" at the level of code of the programs we use today in linux with the new intel processor architectures.

Weird question?
I noticed that programs like Vim, nano, geany, smplayer, mplayer, with a performance are far from what I used to notice! I spent two years using arch linux on a netbook (Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1gb/RAM) and a laptop (intel core 2 duo 2.2Ghz, 4gb/RAM). All programs I've used them ran exceptional strength! except those requiring more processing graph. These freeze sometimes, the netbook. Today I managed to buy a laptop with an intel core i5 (Sandy Bridge), with 4gb/RAM.
I noticed that 1 in 1 minute when I'm editing a text came in, whether small or large (500 + lines) it just freezes for 5 seconds. That sounds like someone who does not irritate, but think of how often this happens in a day. And the best while you encode your project. The same thing happens as nano and geany. I decided to get some answers on your own! I found a version of linux kernel said to be directed to the new i-series processors. (linux-ck with the brain-fuck scheduler). I downloaded the package available for the architecture of archlinux, recompile it and tested it for 2 days. No gain in performance was noticed, and the screen freezes continued in the editors. I decided to recompile the packages by hand: xterm, zsh, vim, nano, geany ...

Nothing has changed!

These freezes do not usually happen in firefox, chromium, Sublime, qtfm, and some other software I tested. I also realized that some crashes happen in mplayer and smplayer! Well, I thought a computer with an i5 and 4GB would take care of so much more! I think it justifies the doubts, I hope answers!

user@localhost $ grep -rnw "." -e "hacking"

#2 2012-05-07 02:33:17

williewillus

Re: random freezes in some programs

Maybe something wrong with your console/terminal emulator?

#3 2012-06-12 00:18:36

abarahc

Re: random freezes in some programs

i dont think so. i've tried xterm with bash and the freezes continues

user@localhost $ grep -rnw "." -e "hacking"

Board footer