You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-22 13:16:55

cryptkeeper

[SOLVED] freeze (black screen) during boot

When booting, after I can choose between Arch and Arch Fallback, the console messages are still huge (resolution not yet fit to screen). That's the output of scripts run on boot, if I understand it right. Then, the screen turns black for a second when the screen resolution is increased, and then the colored stuff comes, e.g. the Daemons (network etc.).

Now sometimes, the screen just remains black when the screen resolution is increased. Nothing happens anymore, then, and I have to force reboot holding the power button. Most times, booting works on second try, sometimes it needs more tries (but eventually, it always boots just fine).

I'm running up-to-date Arch on a MacBook4 dualboot (rEFIt boots first, and from there, Arch is loaded by Grub). That's all system information I can provide right know, since I don't know much about what happens at boot, and there doesn't seem to be a boot logfile on Arch.

It's not a really fatal problem because, as mentionned, Arch eventually boots just fine every time after some tries; but it's really, really annoying because otherwise, my Arch runs rock stable (all crashes are window manager, i.e. gnome3, related...).

Last edited by cryptkeeper (2012-06-12 14:38:10)

#2 2012-06-12 14:47:07

cryptkeeper

Re: [SOLVED] freeze (black screen) during boot

I finally solved the problem, as it seems for good because I haven't had a single freeze on boot anymore since I did this.

What I did is to set up an "early KMS start", described here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KM … _KMS_start . I stumbled into this when I was googling for a solution, thought: why not give it a try?, and it works!!

Last edited by cryptkeeper (2012-06-12 14:48:03)

Board footer