You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-10 23:32:17

orschiro
Website

[moc] Search music directory recursive for song

Hello guys,

is there a way to search the whole music directory which holds a plenty artists folders for a special song?

So basically I have the following structure.

/music
  /artist 1
    /song 1
    /song 2
  /artist 2
    /song 1
    /song 2

When I'm in /music and press g to search, moc is only searching the adapted names of the artists but not through the songs inside of the artists folders.

The only solution I found out is to add the whole folder /music recursive (Shift+A) to playlist and then search the playlist with g. But is there a direct solution without the need of this detour?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by orschiro (2010-02-10 23:32:50)

#2 2010-02-13 08:17:10

orschiro
Website

Re: [moc] Search music directory recursive for song

Anyone?

#3 2012-06-13 14:53:52

switch10

Yeah, I'm trying to figure this out as well...

#4 2012-06-14 23:10:24

pigiron

moc is my favorite player, so I went poking through the source code, following the search path (I don't normally use this feature). It appears that it only searches the current directory and won't do a recursive search... bummer.

I guess that's why it's labeled "Search the menu" and not "Search for files".

I suppose one could detach from the moc server ('q'), search for the file, and then go back into moc. But the rub is that I haven't find a command line utility that will do a recursive search on music file metadata.

#5 2012-11-22 19:58:49

ravisghosh
Website

pigiron wrote:

moc is my favorite player, so I went poking through the source code, following the search path (I don't normally use this feature). It appears that it only searches the current directory and won't do a recursive search... bummer.

moc is just two feature away from being a perfect lightweight player.
1. search files in the entire collection.
2. rate songs so that you can listen to top rated songs when you just want the good numbers to play.

I haven't see many folder-based players that would do these two except gmusicbrowser. Any other option?

#6 2012-12-05 17:05:10

ravisghosh wrote:

moc is just two feature away from being a perfect lightweight player.
1. search files in the entire collection.
2. rate songs so that you can listen to top rated songs when you just want the good numbers to play.

I haven't see many folder-based players that would do these two except gmusicbrowser. Any other option?

I agree with the first one and I solve the second one by only keeping good music on my laptop big_smile

But what I wanted to add: When you search for a folder and then want to add all the songs inside of this folder (what is normally done by "A") you first have to enter it, then exit it and then add all the songs. Am I just too stupid or is this the only way?

(I thought this is not worth a new thread)

#7 2012-12-05 17:52:52

ravisghosh
Website

1984 wrote:

But what I wanted to add: When you search for a folder and then want to add all the songs inside of this folder (what is normally done by "A") you first have to enter it, then exit it and then add all the songs. Am I just too stupid or is this the only way?

(I thought this is not worth a new thread)

Not sure, but my intention was to search a song which is buried inside couple of folders.

One more thing with regards to mpd, does it keep running all the time regardless whether or not music is being played.

Board footer