You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-13 15:41:40

adam777

[Solved] Fullscreen YouTube videos in Chromium

Hello all,
Following this thread, I realized Flash is pretty much a dead end, and decided to try HTML5, which should be more friendly (same video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE7VzlLtp-4).
I was surprised to see no improvement what so ever, YouTube is still not watchable when going full screen, even under HTML5 and even under low-res videos such as 360p.
As soon as I go full screen, CPU goes to 100% and frames are dropped.

Using HTML5, the video information window in YouTube claims a resize is being done when going full screen: 640x360->1916x1077.
Using Flash, no size resize happens, video stays at 640x360, whether  full screen or not (still get lots of dropped frames, 100% cpu usage etc.).
This resize thing cause me to suspect something is broken on the bigger picture - perhaps something isn't configured properly in regards to the graphic card.
For reference, here is my configuration:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf
Section "Device"
       	Identifier  "Radeon"
	Driver "radeon"
		Option "EXAVSync"		"on"
		Option "ColorTiling"		"on"
		Option "ColorTiling2D"		"on"
		Option "EXAPixmaps"		"on"
		Option "EnablePageFlip"		"on"
		Option "RenderAccel"		"on"
		Option "AccelMethod"		"EXA"
		Option "AccelDFS"		"on"
EndSection

Since VLC is able to play the exact same video (downloaded and tried, 720P version, both mp4 and webm) without breaking a sweat, I tried going the "replace-video-with-VLC" way, but only got as far as installing the VLC plugin in Chromium (avialable here), I could not understand how to get it to work, YouTube still plays the video using the browser resources, VLC is nowhere to be found.

This whole video-in-browser thing is pretty much the main reason why I'm still on Windows as my main OS, Arch is otherwise a beautiful creature smile
Adam.

* EDIT *
Just to make clear:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo P8600
GPU - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 512MB

Everything is done in software.

Last edited by adam777 (2012-06-15 08:45:39)

#2 2012-06-13 15:52:16

hadrons123

Re: [Solved] Fullscreen YouTube videos in Chromium

How about activating pepper flash player after installing google-chrome from AUR?

I disable the mozilla flash plugin  in google-chrome-dev and my flash video plays nice with my CPU. Its just a workaround. My video card is an old ATI X1400.

Last edited by hadrons123 (2012-06-13 15:52:49)

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#3 2012-06-13 22:47:48

adam777

Well, that's weird.
I followed your advice and gave pepper flash another shot, using the AUR package available for chromium - http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=57249.
Things looked much better regarding performance and full screen flash videos work quite well.
Than I realized the YouTube video info states accelerated video rendering, which was the problem all along with flash - rendering in full screen was done in software as well, which was too much for the CPU.
I then tried the regular flash, and all of a sudden it works as well (works as in video rendering in full screen is done with the GPU assistance).
Being the cautious guy that I am, I rebooted and tried again - this time only pepper managed to get accelerated video rendering, no matter what I tried.
It is worth noting that I already have OverrideGPUValidation=1 in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg

I would have happily just stick to pepper flash as it also performs a bit better comparing to regular plugin when both use accelerated rendering (and seems like the future anyway, now that the linux flash version is pretty much on the road to nowhere), but sadly the audio is completely broken.
It seems like a common problem with pepper flash under chromium, though most mention Pulse Audio which I don't use (ALSA).

Bottom line is I'm still open to suggestions, Adam.

Last edited by adam777 (2012-06-13 22:49:27)

#4 2012-06-14 01:13:59

hadrons123

I did not  have to edit /etc/adobe/mms.cfg , and I dont have OverrideGPUValidation=1 in mine.
I use google-chrome-dev with gnome3 which has ALSA, but I don't have any sound issues.

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#5 2012-06-15 08:45:28

adam777

OK, an update.
I did a fresh Arch installation (since it's so easy as long as it's not my main OS), and rechecked everything.
Regular flash still can't seem to activate accelerated rendering, which makes it a no-go.
Pepper flash still displays the same sound broken audio.

And then I remembered I activated high quality resampling as part of my installation routine (see here).
Once I disabled it, pepper flash seems to behave properly in regards to sound (still having some other issues - full screen fails to render from time to time mostly).
Considering at the moment I don't really have a decent sound setup, it isn't a big loss at all.

And just for future reference for the search engine:
Comment out the following (or remove the file altogether if you don't need it):

/etc/asound.conf
defaults.pcm.rate_converter "samplerate_best"

Adam

#6 2012-07-01 15:54:21

Bitshift

Just have to thank you very much.
I had this problem for ages and pepper flash + google-chrome-dev solved the issue

#7 2012-07-07 10:22:31

pandev92

For the troubles of sound, you must turn off the microphone on flash, this solution was good for me smile

#8 2013-05-27 22:04:01

jqvillanova

Hi there is an option called "Override software rendering list" in chrome://flags that worked like a charm in ATI Mobility Radeon HD3470 with radeon FOSS Driver, also i've exported video acceleration variables, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AT … celeration; you could check if it is working in chrome://gpu . Hope that help for future searchers.

Board footer