You are not logged in.

#851 2012-06-08 23:07:47

portix

Re: dwb - a webkit web browser

nomadicME wrote:

I'm trying to get away from adobe-flash.  Toward this end, I am trying out lightspark.  I installed it in gentoo, and chromium recognizes the plugin and plays youtube videos just fine, however, dwb (ver e57c85c03a21) does not.  Says "missing plugin".  Here are the list of plugin type files installed:

/usr/lib/lightspark/liblightspark.so -> liblightspark.so.0.5
/usr/lib/lightspark/liblightspark.so.0.5 -> liblightspark.so.0.5.7
/usr/lib/lightspark/liblightspark.so.0.5.7
/usr/lib/lightspark/plugins
/usr/lib/lightspark/plugins/liblightsparksdlplugin.so

So my question is, do I need to make a symlink somewhere?  Does dwb have a specific plugin folder that this symlink should be placed in?  Is there a reason why chromium picked up the plugin automatically, but dwb did not?

Thanks,
John

libwebkit searches in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ for plugins, which also is the default installation directory for lightspark. If the lightspark plugin doesn't work with dwb it is most probably not supported by libwebkit.
chromium could not be compared to dwb or any other webkitgtk browser, chromium doesn't use webkitgtk.

#852 2012-06-09 00:00:50

mrmylanman

I am using DWB right now, and I gotta say I'm pretty impressed!

Arch user since 2011-03-13

Thinkpad X220 Intel Core i7-2640M CPU, 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM, 160GB Intel SATA II SSD & 60GB OCZ mSATA SSD, 12.5" IPS 1366x768 Display, 6-cell Battery
(Installation date:  2012-03-19)

#853 2012-06-10 17:41:54

mnzaki

This is my first day with dwb and I must say I love it! Kudos on all the hard work!
One thing that's bothering me though is Auth and NTLM authentication. It doesn't seem to save credentials at all, even for the SAME page. I mean I will log on to a website using NTLM and I actually have to provide the user/password for every image being loaded. Is there a workaround for this?

Last edited by mnzaki (2012-06-10 18:31:11)

#854 2012-06-12 02:54:05

blumbri

Hi there,

Awesome work on dwb! I especially love the ability to use an external editor when editing a textarea!.  I've been using it for a week or so and it has quickly become my default browser. I have noticed however that using the keyboard hints to select a drop-down list doesn't work.  For example, navigating to 'dwb:settings' and trying to use the hints to select the 'cookies-accept-policy' list is ineffective.  I am using the latest dwb-hg-1365 mercurial version.

Is there another way (other than using the default follow hints 'f' key or using the mouse) to select a drop-down list?

Thanks,

-- blumbri

#855 2012-06-12 07:08:46

portix

blumbri wrote:

I have noticed however that using the keyboard hints to select a drop-down list doesn't work.

That was a bug, it is fixed in the latest revision.

#856 2012-06-12 08:29:16

blumbri

portix wrote:

That was a bug, it is fixed in the latest revision.

Beautiful.  Thanks!

-- blumbri

#857 2012-06-15 11:55:35

mnzaki

Are greasemonkey style userscripts going to be supported? Or generally, what's the best way to automatically load a certain userscript for specific hosts?

#858 2012-06-15 12:30:09

portix

Most greasemonkey scripts will be supported in the next release but not all. If
you use dwb-hg you can enable greasemonkey scripts with the following steps:

The whole procedure will be simplified with the next release, if have already
written an package manager for extensions that install, updates and shows
information about extensions but it is not in the repo yet.

Scripts in ~/.config/dwb/scripts/ will be loaded automatically by the
userscripts extension. You can also specify paths to scripts when you load the
userscripts extension with

extensions.load("userscripts", [ "/path/to/script1", "/path/to/script2"]);

#859 2012-06-15 20:27:16

mnzaki

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! This works great for now. There's an annoying
bug though: if greasemonkey directives and their parameters are separated by a
tab character they are not recognized. For example

// @include<tab>http://youtube.*

doesn't work. The tab must be replaced with space(s).

The main reason I was looking at this was for youtube and other flash video and
streaming websites. Like nomadicME I want to get rid of
Flash because it generally uses way waaaaay too much CPU, and a native/embedded
player of course does a much more efficient job to decode video. And so I'm
using the ViewTube userscript to replace flash video players
with native player plugins and a download link. It also sports an HTML5 based
player that uses too much CPU time as well; I guess webkitgtk is not ready.

Notes for those who would like to replace flash players with native plugins:

Follow portix's instructions about greasemonkey userscripts and then download
ViewTube.user.js and place it in ~/.config/dwb/scripts/
Temporary fix for above bug: Do this to it:
sed -i -r 's!(^// @\w*)[\t\s]+(\w*)!\1    \2!' ViewTube.user.js

For plugins, you have several options (wiki). I've tried two (both GTK based),
gecko-mediaplayer uses mplayer, totem-plugin uses totem (gstreamer).

1. Totem and totem-plugin work like a charm with webkitgtk, and are generally
   more stable IMHO. It caches properly, it stops when you stop it, it continues
   caching if you pause it. Fullscreen works. Playing outside browser works. Very
   acceptable CPU usage.

extra/totem and extra/totem-plugin packages crash on startup probably
   due to the new clutter backend and some sort of graphics acceleration problem.
   AUR/totem-gst is built with the old gstreamer backend and does not crash. It
   provides a browser plugin which works.

2. gecko-mediaplayer is pretty much unusable on firefox, and it IS unusable on
   webkitgtk (tried epiphany and dwb). It has problems with caching, sometimes
   doesn't even start, you can't skip in the stream, full screen doesn't work, stream
   can't be stopped, etc. Moreover it doesn't play well with dwb (possibly due to
   the plugin blocker). If you still want to try it:

community/gecko-mediaplayer is built with the latest xulrunner and results
   in a "missing plugin" (it is not recognised) by webkitgtk. If you want to build
   gecko-mediaplayer you need to use xulrunner 1.9.2 and not the latest xulrunner,
   due to what I assume is a gtk2 vs gtk3 problem. I suspect if you use dwb-gtk3
   it would work with latest xulrunner built plugins. There's an AUR package
   xulrunner192 that provides this version, but it's missing pkgconfigs, an
   entry to ld.conf.d, and a link to the xulrunner executable. These have to be
   added manually.

Last edited by mnzaki (2012-06-16 06:56:29)

#860 2012-06-16 00:54:35

portix

mnzaki wrote:

Temporary fix for above bug: Do this to it:

sed -i -r 's!(^// @\w*)[\t\s]+(\w*)!\1    \2!' ViewTube.user.js

This is no longer needed, it is fixed in the latest revision of the script.

#861 2012-06-21 17:44:04

Šaran

Hi portix,
I have been using this awesome piece of software for a few months and it's became irreplaceable! I've forgoten how to use firefox. smile

I have a bug report: Google is set as the deafult search engine, but most of the time dwb will try to load text as url instead of searching for it - I get OpenDNS page instead of google results.
Can't remember when this started happening, but I'm running dwb-hg compiled few minutes ago. And would it be too much work to implement smooth scrolling some day?

#862 2012-06-21 18:53:03

Army

I've been using dwb for a few months and it's awesome! I still have to take some time to look how the new scripts functionality works though, but that's just my lazyness.

I have a feature request because that's one thing I LOVED about luakit and it was something I requested here, it's about how new tabs are being placed. Portix and you other guys, what do you think about this? I don't know how Mason implemented this into luakit.

edit: On that matter, the link I posted: Klicking on it in dwb, I don't actually see the linked post, looks like this is a dwb bug, it works just fine in luakit (so it can't be a webkit problem)

Last edited by Army (2012-06-21 18:55:54)

#863 2012-06-21 20:52:59

portix

Šaran wrote:

I have a bug report: Google is set as the deafult search engine, but most of the time dwb will try to load text as url instead of searching for it - I get OpenDNS page instead of google results.
Can't remember when this started happening, but I'm running dwb-hg compiled few minutes ago. And would it be too much work to implement smooth scrolling some day?

There is a new setting 'addressbar-dns-lookup' which first tries to look up the address typed in the addressbar and if it fails it uses the default search engine, maybe you could try to enable/disable it.

Army wrote:

I have a feature request because that's one thing I LOVED about luakit and it was something I requested here, it's about how new tabs are being placed. Portix and you other guys, what do you think about this? I don't know how Mason implemented this into luakit.
edit: On that matter, the link I posted: Klicking on it in dwb, I don't actually see the linked post, looks like this is a dwb bug, it works just fine in luakit (so it can't be a webkit problem)

That shouldn't be too hard to implement (if i find some time to implement it). I cannot reproduce your bug, in most cases if you click a link dwb does nothing besides updating the statusbar. What do you see instead? Do you get the error page or a blank page?

#864 2012-06-21 21:16:59

Army

portix wrote:

That shouldn't be too hard to implement (if i find some time to implement it).

Nice smile

portix wrote:

I cannot reproduce your bug, in most cases if you click a link dwb does nothing besides updating the statusbar. What do you see instead? Do you get the error page or a blank page?

Sorry, I didn't specify. When I click on that link, dwb shows the bottom of the page. Then I have to scroll up and search for the post. This happens to me all the time when I go through https://bbs.archlinux.org/search.php?action=show_new and want to see the latest posts of threads I'm interested in, clicking "New posts".
Maybe this is caused by something local here, I'll test it running dwb with fresh configs.

#865 2012-06-22 07:58:02

Šaran

portix wrote:

There is a new setting 'addressbar-dns-lookup' which first tries to look up the address typed in the addressbar and if it fails it uses the default search engine, maybe you could try to enable/disable it.

That was it, thanks!

#866 2012-06-26 19:33:49

TheLemonMan
Website

Lately dwb keeps crashing after a while its open when i go back and forth trough the history, it's becoming very boring as it kills the cookie jar along with the history sad
Also, I started using kippit and they offer a javascript bookmarklet, Ive read the man page but it's still obscure how to bind it to a key

#867 2012-06-26 19:57:31

portix

TheLemonMan wrote:

Lately dwb keeps crashing after a while its open when i go back and forth trough the history, it's becoming very boring as it kills the cookie jar along with the history

Can you post the stacktrace dwb prints to stderr after it has crashed?

TheLemonMan wrote:

Also, I started using kippit and they offer a javascript bookmarklet, Ive read the man page but it's still obscure how to bind it to a key

There are different ways to bind a javascript snippet to a shortcut, with a custom command in dwb:keys:

<shortcut>:js <javascript-snippet>

or with a userscript in ~/.config/dwb/userscripts

#!/bin/bash
# dwb:<shortcut>

echo "js <javascript-snippet>" > $DWB_FIFO

or

#!javascript
bind("<shortcut>", function () { tabs.current.inject("<javascript-snippet>"); }, "<command>");

with the second option you can also execute the snippet from dwb's commandline using the scripts name, with the third you can execute it with 'command'.
If it is a uri-encoded snippet with javascript:-prefix you might use the first or second with open <javascript-snippet> instead of js <javascript-snippet>.

#868 2012-06-27 02:18:56

brianb
Website

Hi,

I just switched from FF/Pentadactyl to dwb today and am loving it.

I just have two questions so far. The first is about caret browsing. In Pentadactyl you can caret browse in a separate caret mode and then switch to visual mode to yank text. In dwb, however, there is no caret/visual mode, right? Instead, if you enable caret browsing, it simply makes a caret appear, which you can only move with the arrow keys, which is not very vim-like.

So I was wondering if there were any plans to implement some sort of caret/visual mode to make this work a little better.

Second thing: can bookmarks have keywords, or only search engines? For example, if I want to be able to type ":open nyt" to go to the NY Times, is there any way?

Other than those two small things, I'm really enjoying dwb.

#869 2012-06-27 06:50:17

jakob

brianb wrote:

Second thing: can bookmarks have keywords, or only search engines? For example, if I want to be able to type ":open nyt" to go to the NY Times, is there any way?

Hi brianb,

check out quickmarks. they work a bit differently in that every one has a key assigned (so there can only be 26 of them, I don't know, whether numbers are also possible).

To use them, see man dwb.

#870 2012-06-27 08:01:01

portix

jakob wrote:
brianb wrote:

Hi brianb,

check out quickmarks. they work a bit differently in that every one has a key assigned (so there can only be 26 of them, I don't know, whether numbers are also possible).

To use them, see man dwb.

Tags for bookmarks are on my todo list but i don't know when they will be added. But you can have more than 26 quickmarks, quickmarks can also be complete words. If you want to create a quickmark for NY Times you can add a quickmark with m nyt and open it with b nyt, it is also possible to tabcomplete quickmarks.

brianb wrote:

So I was wondering if there were any plans to implement some sort of caret/visual mode to make this work a little better.

The existing caret mode is only a webkit builtin caret mode, i started to implement a vi-like caret mode about a year ago but never finished it. I don't know if there will ever be a vi-like caret mode.

#871 2012-06-27 10:15:01

TheLemonMan
Website

portix wrote:
TheLemonMan wrote:

Lately dwb keeps crashing after a while its open when i go back and forth trough the history, it's becoming very boring as it kills the cookie jar along with the history

Can you post the stacktrace dwb prints to stderr after it has crashed?

I stressed it for the whole day and now seems to work well. The bug got fixed by elfs in the meanwhile smile
On a side note, lately dwb fails loading every https page, It stops loading at around 50%. This with the latest dwb-hg, pulled just an hour ago or so.

#872 2012-06-27 13:45:05

brianb
Website

portix wrote:

Tags for bookmarks are on my todo list but i don't know when they will be added. But you can have more than 26 quickmarks, quickmarks can also be complete words. If you want to create a quickmark for NY Times you can add a quickmark with m nyt and open it with b nyt, it is also possible to tabcomplete quickmarks.

Thanks! Quickmarks is already perfect, I think. In fact, it seems to me to make Bookmarks kind of redundant, no? Why not just have Quickmarks, with optional keywords? You could even generalize to search engines and collapse all three: <keyword> <title> <url>, where <keyword> is optional. If no keyword is given, it shows up in the list like a "bookmark"; and if a keyword is given, then if the url is a search engine, then the keyword takes a search parameter ("search engine"), otherwise it simply opens the url ("quickmark").

Anyway, that's not really a request/suggestion. I suppose others like having things separate.

portix wrote:
brianb wrote:

The existing caret mode is only a webkit builtin caret mode, i started to implement a vi-like caret mode about a year ago but never finished it. I don't know if there will ever be a vi-like caret mode.

OK, no problem. Although it's not quite as easy as in Pentadactyl, it's still relatively easy to yank stuff with the keyboard: type "/" to find the beginning of the relevant string, hit enter when you get it, and that'll put the cursor/caret at the beginning of the string you want to yank, then just use the arrows + shift (+ control).

Last edited by brianb (2012-06-27 13:47:19)

#873 2012-06-28 19:34:33

theGunslinger

Does anyone here use an mplayer youtube viewing userscript that works with dwb?

#874 2012-06-28 19:45:49

portix

If you use dwb-hg there is a script that uses quvi to play videos with mplayer that lets you choose the quality and that also can autoplay videos from sites supported by quvi. The script can be found here, there is also a description how to use it at the beginning of the script (which is a currently a bit complicated but it will be simplified in the future).

#875 2012-06-28 20:59:56

theGunslinger

Works like a charm! Thanks.

Just wanted to add that I'm having some kind of cpu spike whilst using dwb-hg my poor atom goes randomly to 100% load just browsing forums. Reverting back to dwb makes it behave normally again, anyone else having these issues with the hg version?

Last edited by theGunslinger (2012-06-30 09:51:08)

Board footer