You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-15 10:45:25

ian.simonson

[SOLVED] Partitions don't show up in configuration + TOCBLOCK

I'm new to ArchLinux, and so far I've managed to stay away from needing to create a post on here as many of my questions have already been answered, and the archwiki is amazing, that being said:

So I've already installed Arch on VirtualBox, and while it works well I want to dual boot Arch and Windows 7 on my actual machine.  So in Windows 7 I shrunk the C: partition to allow for about 30 gigs of space for Arch (I don't need a lot of space for Linux, I still do most things in windows, and actually I need to use windows for the work I'm currently doing).

I used Universal USB Installer to load the Live CD to my USB, and I can successfully boot to the installer.  When I go to "manually set up partitions" and cfdisk loads I've tried multiple things:

1. Create a primary root partition which would hold everything and a small (about a gig) swap partition which gives me a total of 4 primary partitions on my system.
2. Create logical partitions for root, /home and swap
3. Create logical partitions for /boot, root, /home and swap
4. Create a primary partition for root, and a logical partition for /home and swap

Each time, when I write I get this warning:

TOCBLOCK not found, database may be corrupt.  However, the files write anyway and I have my partitions which are visible in cfdisk.

Then I go to configure partitions (may not be the right name for it, it's the one under "manually set up partitions" in the installer however, when I load /dev/sda to configure my new partitions I see only /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 (windows partitions) as well as /dev/sdb (the USB which I have running the live CD)

sda3 and 4 (or 5,6,7,8 depending) don't show up if I create them from unallocated free space.

If I go back into windows and take that unallocated free space and create a "simple volume" with no formatting, then after partitioning, they display, but they don't display correctly, and as I don't want to completely wipe windows I don't feel comfortable hoping the name is correct but the memory is wrongly labeled.

I think it may have to do with the TOCBLOCK error, but I'm not completely sure.  I tried finding it in the ArchWiki, this forum, and even the LinuxMint forums, but haven't been able to come up with any solution.

Any help would be appreciated, I'd like to not have to use a virtual machine when using Linux, as it's pretty slow and kind of defeats the whole purpose.

If there's any diagnostic information needed that I didn't post let me know and I'll get that for you.

Thanks in advanced
-Ian

Last edited by ian.simonson (2012-06-15 20:41:07)

#2 2012-06-15 10:53:08

DSpider

Re: [SOLVED] Partitions don't show up in configuration + TOCBLOCK

Create the Linux partitions beforehand, using GParted Live or, my favourite, Parted Magic.

Then try again.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-06-15 20:40:48

ian.simonson

Re: [SOLVED] Partitions don't show up in configuration + TOCBLOCK

Sorry for the delayed response, it worked, but it took me a while to set up my archlinux distro after it worked.

I guess cfdisk is terrible, I used Parted Magic and it worked perfectly

Thanks for the help

Board footer