You are not logged in.

#251 2012-06-06 23:39:50

limescout

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

I've been using spacefm for about 3 weeks now, and I have to say I really love it!  It's got every possible feature I could want, minus mp3 tag reading.

#252 2012-06-07 15:03:58

0ddba11

IgnorantGuru, is there any way to make a root window opened on a users desktop use root's config (as in su into root rather than sudo). I'm using ktsuss built as is from the AUR (which defaults to su behaviour rather than sudo) so I think it's spacefm that's defaulting to sudo behaviour. Or it's completely unrelated to either and I've missed something, which is more than likely.

Thanks again for an ace file manager (with udevil working like a charm and a dbus/consolekit/polkit free desktop), and I think I'll be playing with sandfox next.

#253 2012-06-07 15:42:05

IgnorantGuru
Website

Paramvir wrote:

I can get the newer spacefm to compress if I use xterm - but I do use terminal quite a bit - let me see how to get it working.

spacefm-git now handles terminal correctly.  Or if you want to use 0.7.7, you can set spacefm's terminal to xfce4-terminal and make a temporary link:

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/terminal /usr/local/bin/xfce4-terminal
limescout wrote:

I've been using spacefm for about 3 weeks now, and I have to say I really love it!  It's got every possible feature I could want, minus mp3 tag reading.

Thanks for the positive feedback.  On the mp3 tag reading, maybe you can do some of it as a plugin for now.  meta info might come later.

0ddba11 wrote:

IgnorantGuru, is there any way to make a root window opened on a users desktop use root's config (as in su into root rather than sudo). I'm using ktsuss built as is from the AUR (which defaults to su behaviour rather than sudo) so I think it's spacefm that's defaulting to sudo behaviour. Or it's completely unrelated to either and I've missed something, which is more than likely.

spacefm uses whatever graphical su program you set for that, and you can see the exact command issued by running spacefm in a terminal.  I think if the su program doesn't reset $HOME to /root then it may use the user's config, as is typical.  But I don't have this problem with ktsuss 1.3 (which I don't recommend due to known security issues - I just haven't had a chance to update my stuff).  ktsuss2, which has some unaddressed problems, may work differently.  In any event, if sudo is causing the issue then adjusting /etc/sudoers is probably the answer (maybe add env_reset to Defaults).

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-06-07 16:18:22)

#254 2012-06-08 05:13:10

Paramvir
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:

spacefm-git now handles terminal correctly.  Or if you want to use 0.7.7, you can set spacefm's terminal to xfce4-terminal and make a temporary link:

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/terminal /usr/local/bin/xfce4-terminal

Thanks that is Fantabulous !!! smile

OK have tested it out but the problem I faced with xterm and terminal thing is that you will no longer be able to unzip by selecting more than one zip file - if you select 2 or more - only the first will get unzipped.

cheers

Last edited by Paramvir (2012-06-08 09:10:05)

#255 2012-06-10 16:29:21

IgnorantGuru
Website

Paramvir wrote:

OK have tested it out but the problem I faced with xterm and terminal thing is that you will no longer be able to unzip by selecting more than one zip file - if you select 2 or more - only the first will get unzipped.

I don't think that behavior should have changed with it running in a terminal, but I'll take a look at the multiple selection results - thanks for the note on that.

#256 2012-06-12 23:57:12

IgnorantGuru
Website

spacefm-git (upcoming release) now has template support for new files and folders.  I approximately followed the XDG way but added some additional functionality.  subdirs in the templates dir is unspecified, but Nautilus turns the subdirs into submenus.  spacefm does something similar, plus it can also use a whole folder as a folder template (in case you want to create a new folder with a standard set of files).

spacefm looks in these dirs, using the first one that contains a file:
$XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR/
~/Templates/
~/.templates/    (because I think the spec using ~/Templates is obnoxious)

If subdirs are in there, they will be recursively scanned for files and added to the templates list, and subdirs can also be used as folder templates.

New links can also now be created, including relative and arbitrary (broken) links.

Also, not sure if I mentioned it above but this version can also now mount ISO files.  Thanks for testing.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-06-13 01:55:58)

#257 2012-06-13 19:47:30

IgnorantGuru
Website

Paramvir wrote:

This is now corrected in next (spacefm-git).

#258 2012-06-14 10:30:14

Paramvir
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:

This is now corrected in next (spacefm-git).

That is great - Thanks

#259 2012-06-15 19:40:05

IgnorantGuru
Website

spacefm-git can now mount sshfs using udevil 0.2.8 (udevil-git). 

There is a problem: In my tests it immediately unmounts after the terminal window closes.  I don't know if this is a bug or whether it thinks the fs is no longer in use because the terminal closed, but thus far I haven't found a way to avoid it.  If anyone know the cause of this, or if you don't have this problem with sshfs, I'd be interested to know.  You can work around the problem by leaving the terminal window open.  Currently, spacefm-git won't wait for the terminal to finish (so you can leave it open), but this means that it won't automatically open the mounted dir.  You can open it by clicking on the mounted network in the devices list.

Thanks for any feedback on your results with this.

Also, spacefm is known to be a bit laggy with network filesystems, probably due to some deficiences in the internal vfs and how it does the multi-threading.  I do plan to look at this and hopefully improve it but until then you can expect some lag or apparent hangs when the net fs is busy.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-06-15 20:20:14)

#260 2012-06-15 20:58:55

ShadowKyogre
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:

spacefm-git can now mount sshfs using udevil 0.2.8 (udevil-git). 

There is a problem: In my tests it immediately unmounts after the terminal window closes.  I don't know if this is a bug or whether it thinks the fs is no longer in use because the terminal closed, but thus far I haven't found a way to avoid it.  If anyone know the cause of this, or if you don't have this problem with sshfs, I'd be interested to know.  You can work around the problem by leaving the terminal window open.  Currently, spacefm-git won't wait for the terminal to finish (so you can leave it open), but this means that it won't automatically open the mounted dir.  You can open it by clicking on the mounted network in the devices list.

Thanks for any feedback on your results with this.

Also, spacefm is known to be a bit laggy with network filesystems, probably due to some deficiences in the internal vfs and how it does the multi-threading.  I do plan to look at this and hopefully improve it but until then you can expect some lag or apparent hangs when the net fs is busy.

I don't have this problem, but that's probably because I mounted the sftp share in udevil first, closed the terminal I ran it in (which was not spawned from spacefm), and then opened spacefm to poke around it. However, if I open the share by typing its url into the bar, that's when the problem occurs. Which file in the spacefm source code launches a terminal to ask for the password?

For every problem, there is a solution that is:
Clean
Simple and most of all...wrong!
Github page

#261 2012-06-15 22:00:57

IgnorantGuru
Website

ShadowKyogre wrote:

I don't have this problem, but that's probably because I mounted the sftp share in udevil first, closed the terminal I ran it in (which was not spawned from spacefm), and then opened spacefm to poke around it. However, if I open the share by typing its url into the bar, that's when the problem occurs. Which file in the spacefm source code launches a terminal to ask for the password?

Same for me - if I open a terminal and mount it, even then close the terminal, it stays mounted.  But if spacefm launches the terminal, then it unmounts as soon as the terminal is closed.  I even tried different ways of spawning the terminal, async, sync, etc, but it had no effect on the problem.

src/vfs/vfs-file-task.c is what executes the command in the terminal.  But the command is built and controlled from src/ptk/ptk-file-location-view.c in function mount_network() - that's the place to make changes.  I've got some hacks in there for sshfs from trying to launch it different ways.  spacefm shows the commands on stdout if you run it in a terminal.  Thanks for giving it a try.

Also, I did confirm that it's neither udevil nor spacefm doing the unmount.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-06-15 22:18:30)

#262 2012-06-16 00:03:43

ninian
Website

Now I know this is stretching things a bit, so treat me gently for this query ...

Is there any way that SpaceFM can/could be made to open files in an external "xdg-open" type program of one's own choice, rather than using SpaceFM's own internal version?
The reason I'm asking is that with some other file managers (notably Worker) and scripts I use my expro utility to open files, directories, protocols, etc. I generally find it easier to maintain (and it runs faster) than fighting all the excessive MIME-type and .desktop file stuff.
Of course, I've added custom actions to the context menu for 'Open+' and 'Open+ With' to call my opener (the second action opens up a menu of all associated applications). But it would be great to just single or double-click on a file or directory and go straight to this 'alternative' opener.

Hope this makes *some* sense!
wink

#263 2012-06-16 00:13:29

IgnorantGuru
Website

ninian wrote:

Now I know this is stretching things a bit, so treat me gently for this query ...

Is there any way that SpaceFM can/could be made to open files in an external "xdg-open" type program of one's own choice, rather than using SpaceFM's own internal version?
The reason I'm asking is that with some other file managers (notably Worker) and scripts I use my expro utility to open files, directories, protocols, etc. I generally find it easier to maintain (and it runs faster) than fighting all the excessive MIME-type and .desktop file stuff.
Of course, I've added custom actions to the context menu for 'Open+' and 'Open+ With' to call my opener (the second action opens up a menu of all associated applications). But it would be great to just single or double-click on a file or directory and go straight to this 'alternative' opener.

Hope this makes *some* sense!
wink

Sure that makes sense.  An option for this isn't a bad idea - maybe if/when I expand the Preferences to include micro options like this.

In the meantime, you can create a desktop file for a custom script or opener, and associate that with each mime type.  That way you can just click them to reach your custom opener.  I handle some types that way.

You could also set an xml glob so all files are your custom mime type, and just associate that with your opener.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-06-16 00:19:04)

#264 2012-06-16 00:28:55

ninian
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:

Sure that makes sense.  An option for this isn't a bad idea - maybe if/when I expand the Preferences to include micro options like this.

In the meantime, you can create a desktop file for a custom script or opener, and associate that with each mime type.  That way you can just click them to reach your custom opener.  I handle some types that way.

You could also set an xml glob so all files are your custom mime type, and just associate that with your opener.

Many thanks for your swift reply. I will certainly have a look at your suggestions and experiment a bit more.

Added: Forgot to ask: what's the best way for Conky to play nicely with SpaceFM? I'm using it with pseudo-transparency and it displays the "root" background, but unfortunately SpaceFM's desktop must be a window above this and consequently on a refresh Conky seems to disappear completely. But if I kill SpaceFM, Conky reappears. (I think I had this problem when I tried the Rox desktop too.)

Last edited by ninian (2012-06-16 00:36:18)

#265 2012-06-16 00:53:57

IgnorantGuru
Website

ninian wrote:

Forgot to ask: what's the best way for Conky to play nicely with SpaceFM? I'm using it with pseudo-transparency and it displays the "root" background, but unfortunately SpaceFM's desktop must be a window above this and consequently on a refresh Conky seems to disappear completely. But if I kill SpaceFM, Conky reappears. (I think I had this problem when I tried the Rox desktop too.)

I've opened an issue on this so you and others can track it - I've received various reports of trouble with conky.

#266 2012-06-16 04:30:10

Paramvir
Website

ninian wrote:

Forgot to ask: what's the best way for Conky to play nicely with SpaceFM? I'm using it with pseudo-transparency and it displays the "root" background, but unfortunately SpaceFM's desktop must be a window above this and consequently on a refresh Conky seems to disappear completely. But if I kill SpaceFM, Conky reappears. (I think I had this problem when I tried the Rox desktop too.)

Most desktops except openbox or fluxbox have this root window issue - similar to the issue you had with Rox. "own_window" settings can be played around with

own_window yes
own_window_type override
own_window_hints below,sticky,undecorated,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
# own_window_colour black
own_window_transparent yes

# ARGB can be used for real transparency, 
# note that a composite manager is required for real transparency
# own_window_argb_visual true

# Set the transparency alpha value from 0 to 255
# own_window_argb_value 250

As you see I have tried true transparency as well but went back to pseudo-transparency.

I am using xfce 4.10 with compiz.

own_window_type needs to be adjusted else you will have conky go down to root level on a click on Desktop.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Paramvir (2012-06-16 04:38:33)

#267 2012-06-16 08:32:21

ninian
Website

@IgnorantGuru and @Paramvir:
Thanks guys; will tinker with .conkyrc as you suggest and see if I can improve things.

#268 2012-06-16 22:24:13

IgnorantGuru
Website

SpaceFM 0.7.8 is released - see release notes.

Thanks for the conky info, Paramvir.

#269 2012-06-16 23:42:51

ninian
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:

SpaceFM 0.7.8 is released

The new section of the manual How MIME Works is very useful and brings clarity to the rather baffling subjects of MIME-types and .desktop files.
However there is one paragraph which needs to be corrected (suggested changes in bold):

"Anytime .desktop files are created or changed, the MIME database cache database of MIME types handled by desktop files needs to be updated. A user's database can be updated by the user running 'update-mime-database' 'update-desktop-database ~/.local/share/applications', or to update the system-wide database, 'sudo update-mime-database' 'sudo update-desktop-database'. This command examines all the desktop files and will create a file files named 'mimeinfo.cache' which contains contain all the relevant information for fast access. The mimeinfo.cache files should never be edited - to update them run 'update-mime-database' 'update-desktop-database'."

By default, running update-desktop-database as root updates the mimeinfo.cache files in the $XDG_DATA_DIRS/applications directories. If run as user without specifying a directory, it will only have permission to update /usr/local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache and not /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache. The user's own cache can only be updated by specifying the ~/.local/share/applications directory (as far as I know). (See: man update-desktop-database)

I found out a lot of this the hard way!
wink

#270 2012-06-18 13:08:28

fschiff

Suggestion

Filter

by File+Directory/File only/Directory only
by filename (regular expression)
by mimetype

with some kind of visual cue that the filter is in place.
You could use all of the filter types at the same time.

#271 2012-06-19 17:13:53

IgnorantGuru
Website

ninian wrote:

However there is one paragraph which needs to be corrected (suggested changes in bold):

Thanks - I had update-mime-database on the brain.  But spacefm does now modify xml files too, so I think both update-mime-database and update-desktop-database are needed.  I'll look over the details.

#272 2012-06-21 04:57:52

Paramvir
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:

SpaceFM 0.7.8 is released

Had been trying to figure out the cases in which compression or decompression fails

My system is 64 bit Arch using latest updates - Kernel 3.4.2-2 - XFCE 4.10 with Compiz.

In short - if you have a terminal window open and spacefm - the problems start - else - with only spacefm and no terminal window all is well.

for testing have 3 zip, 1 7z, 1 rar and 1 tar.gz

case 1
spacefm started from menu
No terminal window open
extraction - no issues

case 2
open 1 terminal and work [if you just open a terminal and do nothing with it - spacefm appears to work fine]
extraction problems
select all archives - one cannot be sure if and how many of the archives will get extracted - sometimes 2 other times all again only 1
select a single archive - will ONLY extract tar and tar derivatives if you use Extract
single archive extraction does work if you use Extract To - though this is erratic if you select more than one archive

extracted fine - no errors
--------------
TASK_COMMAND=cd '/home/param/projects/test' && mkdir -p '/home/param/projects/test/test-07' && cd '/home/param/projects/test/test-07' && tar -xzf '/home/param/projects/test/test-07.tar.gz'
SPAWN=/bin/bash  /tmp/spacefm-param-3c200ff0.tmp/7f8c67a9-tmp.sh  run
    pid = 30723

extracted fine - but with errors below
--------------------------------------
TASK_COMMAND=cd '/home/param/projects/test' && mkdir -p '/home/param/projects/test/test-09a' && cd '/home/param/projects/test/test-09a' && /usr/bin/7za x '/home/param/projects/test/test-09a.7z' ; fm_err=$?; if [ $fm_err -ne 0 ]; then echo; echo -n '[ Finished With Errors ]  Press Enter to close: '; read s; exit $fm_err; fi
SPAWN=/usr/bin/terminal  -x  /bin/bash  /tmp/spacefm-param-3c200ff0.tmp/0411fb64-tmp.sh  run
    pid = 30726

TASK_COMMAND=cd '/home/param/projects/test' && mkdir -p '/home/param/projects/test/test-02a' && cd '/home/param/projects/test/test-02a' && unrar -o- x '/home/param/projects/test/test-02a.rar' ; fm_err=$?; if [ $fm_err -ne 0 ]; then echo; echo -n '[ Finished With Errors ]  Press Enter to close: '; read s; exit $fm_err; fi
SPAWN=/usr/bin/terminal  -x  /bin/bash  /tmp/spacefm-param-3c200ff0.tmp/7ebad712-tmp.sh  run
    pid = 30727

did not extract
---------------
TASK_COMMAND=cd '/home/param/projects/test' && mkdir -p '/home/param/projects/test/test-01' && cd '/home/param/projects/test/test-01' && unzip '/home/param/projects/test/test-01.zip' ; fm_err=$?; if [ $fm_err -ne 0 ]; then echo; echo -n '[ Finished With Errors ]  Press Enter to close: '; read s; exit $fm_err; fi
SPAWN=/usr/bin/terminal  -x  /bin/bash  /tmp/spacefm-param-3c200ff0.tmp/60bc3faa-tmp.sh  run
    pid = 30733

did not extract
---------------
TASK_COMMAND=cd '/home/param/projects/test' && mkdir -p '/home/param/projects/test/test-02' && cd '/home/param/projects/test/test-02' && unzip '/home/param/projects/test/test-02.zip' ; fm_err=$?; if [ $fm_err -ne 0 ]; then echo; echo -n '[ Finished With Errors ]  Press Enter to close: '; read s; exit $fm_err; fi
SPAWN=/usr/bin/terminal  -x  /bin/bash  /tmp/spacefm-param-3c200ff0.tmp/1d830363-tmp.sh  run
    pid = 30735

TASK_COMMAND=cd '/home/param/projects/test' && mkdir -p '/home/param/projects/test/test-09' && cd '/home/param/projects/test/test-09' && unzip '/home/param/projects/test/test-09.zip' ; fm_err=$?; if [ $fm_err -ne 0 ]; then echo; echo -n '[ Finished With Errors ]  Press Enter to close: '; read s; exit $fm_err; fi
SPAWN=/usr/bin/terminal  -x  /bin/bash  /tmp/spacefm-param-3c200ff0.tmp/7064dd07-tmp.sh  run
    pid = 30737
child finished  pid=30723 exit_status=0

only the tar variants extract on single archive selection

all other formats do not extract on single file selection but if a group is selected - then MAYBE some will extract

Method of selection - using mouse or keyboard has no change on the erratic extraction issues

so far no issues have been found with compression of files

cheers

#273 2012-06-21 13:15:27

IgnorantGuru
Website

Paramvir wrote:

Had been trying to figure out the cases in which compression or decompression fails

Thanks - the problem here is that once one terminal is open, xfce4 terminal won't create a new instance and instead uses dbus to merely open another window.  This causes spacefm to think the process has finished (the original pid exits) so it deletes the temp bash script still in use.  The solution is to add --disable-server to View|Preferences|Advanced|Terminal:

terminal --disable-server

I have corrected this problem in the next branch (spacefm-git) - it will add --disable-server automatically when using 'terminal'.

#274 2012-06-21 14:19:40

Paramvir
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:

Thanks - the problem here is that once one terminal is open, xfce4 terminal won't create a new instance and instead uses dbus to merely open another window.  This causes spacefm to think the process has finished (the original pid exits) so it deletes the temp bash script still in use.  The solution is to add --disable-server to View|Preferences|Advanced|Terminal:

terminal --disable-server

I have corrected this problem in the next branch (spacefm-git) - it will add --disable-server automatically when using 'terminal'.

YESSSSSSS smile now it is FANTABULOUS - It works fine. Thanks

#275 2012-06-21 17:47:30

Šaran

Using urxvtc will cause same issues, but with urxvt everything extracts just fine.

EDIT:
I've been playing with samba shares and can't get spacefm to ask for username and password.
After typing smb://192.168.1.100/homes into location bar, it asks for some password, but fails with same error I get if type wrong pass on mount command.

Password: 
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
[ Finished ]  Press Enter to close

noatime and utf8 should be removed from udevil.conf for cifs because it won't recognise those options on mount.

Last edited by Šaran (2012-06-21 18:24:39)

Board footer