You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-17 06:37:59

bigshotjeev

[SOLVED] Keyboard not responding in Grub

I installed Archlinux and everything works fine except that the keyboard has stopped working after booting up. I cannot go in bios setup and cannot select OS from boot loader screen unless the Arch Linux (which is my default OS) starts loading. After loading Arch my keyboard works fine even in commandline mode.

I am using Logitech k120 USB keyboard and I have turned on my USB legacy mode in bios setup. I would like to add that the keyboard was working fine even after installing Arch linux. I was able to select OS from the boot loader screen until few days back it stopped responding suddenly.

Your kind suggestion would be most beneficial.

Last edited by bigshotjeev (2012-06-17 12:45:09)

#2 2012-06-17 06:47:05

headkase

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard not responding in Grub

If your computer has a ps/2 port (almost 100% likely) you could try to get a usb-to-ps/2 adapter and plug it in the old-fashioned way.  USB keyboards can be problematic at times but I've never heard of them "just stop working for grub" without an accompanying change in the BIOS.  One of the adapters will set you back less than $5.

#3 2012-06-17 06:50:47

bigshotjeev

Dear Headkase.

Thanks for your fast reply.

My ps/2 port has gone bad few months ago thats why I was forced to go for USB keyboard. 

Can you suggent any other work around that might help solving this current problem.

#4 2012-06-17 06:58:53

headkase

If your ps/2 port went "bad" then the USB issues may also be a systemic issue.  Other than the ps/2, which would let you double check your USB legacy mode in your BIOS, I have no further suggestions.  Sorry.

#5 2012-06-17 07:01:27

headkase

I do have another suggestion: consult your mainboard manual.  There should be a jumper, and you'll need the manual for the instructions as they are all different, which lets you clear your CMOS settings.  However, this is a risky proposition with your keyboard not working in GRUB.  The default settings that would set your BIOS to may not be any better and you still may not be able to enter the BIOS.  I.e. the keyboard still may not work until OS USB drivers are loaded.

#6 2012-06-17 08:19:52

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

- nvm -

Last edited by litemotiv (2012-06-17 08:25:30)

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#7 2012-06-17 08:57:40

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps another usb device connected to the computer causes the keyboard not to respond.................

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#8 2012-06-17 09:33:46

DSpider

Try a different USB port. Motherboards also have additional USB ports for front panels and such. Either install the one that came with your motherboard (most manufacturers include one) or borrow one from a friend.

And like lilsirecho said, if you have a Logitech mouse and a Logitech keyboard, maybe one is inhibiting the other (at least until the drivers kick in and the OS starts to differentiate which is which). So try a different mouse and/or keyboard combination. Unplugging everything USB-related would also help when you do this.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#9 2012-06-17 12:44:45

bigshotjeev

Ok I solved the problem.

The first thing I did was to remove the cmos battery and put it back in. Then I booted again and it gave me an info screen to press F1 to enter bios setting and change the system date and time. Somehow I was able to enter the bios settings after pressing Del and F1 repeatedly during rebooting (it took few reboots to get me in). Once inside the bios setting I changed the system date and time and then entered the USB configuration. My USB legacy support was set to 'Auto'. I remember switching it to 'Enabled' previously. Somehow it was switched back to Auto. So I changed it to Enabled and everything went running smoothly. I can now enter bios settings and also choose OS from the Grub OS list.

Anyways thanks guys for your suggestions.

Board footer