You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-09 14:43:07

kth5
Website

journaled filesystems tend to break often

i am in charge taking care of a couple of servers on the web as well as inhouse (and of course at home). these run steady for more than 300 days straight w/o a reboot.

when i - for example - want to update old kernels and other low-level upgrades (glibc etc) i of course test the system by rebooting it from scratch. repeatetly it happened now that the FS was totally screwed though all looked fine back when the machine was still running.
no, i don't mean "FS has not been checked for XXX days" and such, rather hard fscks including bad inodes and all kinds of errors. sometimes, the FS is unrepairable in a sense of efficiency so i read the stuff of the harddrives and setup a new fs.

from what i remember back in the times i still used ext2 this never occured to me. i always thought journaled filesystems were even more reliable but as it seems that is not the case. at least ext3 and reiserfs v3 often frag away. this happened on misc. distros, kernel versions, machines etc. vanilla kernels didn't help and arch unfortunately didn't help either.

any ideas or suggestions?

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#2 2005-09-09 15:56:53

Moo-Crumpus

Re: journaled filesystems tend to break often

I had problems with reiserfs, too. Since I run jfs for some years, I had no more problems - in case you keep in mind to install jfsutils. It is the most solid fs I ever used.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#3 2005-09-09 15:58:22

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I always thought bad inodes had something to do with a hardware mishap/failure?

#4 2005-09-09 16:00:35

kth5
Website

Pink Chick wrote:

I had problems with reiserfs, too. Since I run jfs for some years, I had no more problems - in case you keep in mind to install jfsutils. It is the most solid fs I ever used.

i might give JFS a go next time i set up an non-missioncritical server and see how it goes. since JFS is not an old hag as ext3 i haven't used it yet in production.

still, there must be something one can do to avoid these problems and not cause too much downtime, except the usual cluster/HA solution. roll

@phrakture
could be anything from bad ram, overclocked cpu down to IDE probs. in most cases i had those it was as simple as a fsck to permanently fix them. the harddrives always were good in my case.

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#5 2005-09-09 19:36:05

Gullible Jones

My current master HDD has had the same layout, reiserfs for both / and /home, for the better part of a year, and I haven't had any trouble with it. Everything's as fast as it was the first day I used the drive. Then again, this is a PC, not a server, and I haven't been using the drive that long.

#6 2005-09-10 19:01:47

Gullible Jones

As it happens, my only experience with corruption of a HDD was when I was using ext2 for my main partition... I switched my power strip off, not realizing that my computer was not turned off but hibernating. Next time I booted, e2fsck revealed all sorts of problems and the disk could not be mounted.

#7 2005-09-12 23:50:30

Euphoric Nightmare

pholie wrote:

I gave jfs a try wink

...and?

#8 2005-09-13 15:20:22

iBertus

I've been giving JFS a try too for the past week and must say that it works well. It's not as fast as reiser4, but it seems like it may be less likely to just change internally without warning (reference the new version of reiser4 of late that sorta screwed up compatibility with the previous revision)...

#9 2005-09-13 18:11:10

Moo-Crumpus

jfs is a fs of ibm for servers. i run a storage on jfs since some years, and never had any problems - and IF - never had unsolvable problems.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

Board footer