You are not logged in.

#51 2012-06-17 20:08:43

paranoos

Re: Unable to find root device - after updating

Upgraded to linux 3.4.2-2 and mkinitcpio 0.9.2-2 today, ran 'mkinitcpio -p linux', rebooted, and my speedy custom non-udev config boots once again. Thanks!

#52 2012-06-20 03:40:26

heatblazer

Help. I have the same problem *but* on a multiboot install usb stick. When I select "Install arch" it gives me the same error "..can`t access tty job turend off.."

#53 2012-06-20 15:05:33

qubodup

pineapple-biku wrote:

I had this problem, through a few other forum posts and some wiki articles I was able to solve it this way:

I booted into an arch installation CD and mounted my root partition under /mnt/arch.

I then used the wiki page on change root and ran the following commands:

cd /mnt/arch
mount -t proc proc proc/
mount -t sysfs sys sys/
mount -o bind /dev dev/

Now, my /boot is NOT a separate partition.  If yours is a separate partition I believe you must mount that separately.

I then issued the chroot command and configured my network:

chroot . /bin/bash
dhcpcd eth0

I'm not sure if all of these commands are required, but I didn't feel like continuously rebooting/chrooting, so I did them all at once and it fixed the issue we both were having:

pacman -Syy
pacman -Syu
pacman -S udev
pacman -S mkinitcpio
mkinitcpio -p linux
reboot

Remove the CD or USB drive and ta-da!  Now, I'll be honest and admit that I don't fully understand this fix, but I hope it helps.  Some of the posts also suggested doing a "pacman -S linux", however that was not necessary for me.

Thank you so much for this guideline! It solved my problem.

I got error messages during `mkinitcpio -p linux` though. Running `pacman -S` linux solved it.

#54 2012-09-04 10:11:50

Diplomat

Hi

I have similar problem but i can't boot from disk because i get this..

Booting the kernel.
:: Starting udevd...
done.
:: Running Hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...done.
Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-uuid/.....
ERROR: device '/dev/disk/by-uuid/.....'. not found
. Skipping fsck
ERROR: Unable to find root device '/dev/disk/by-uuid/.....'.
You are being dropped to a recovery shell
       Type 'exit' to try and continue booting
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
[rootfs /]# 

and i tried to make arch usb but I get the same message with usb. So I can't boot from my laptop's disk and can't boot from usb to fix it. This happened after last kernel update and I manage to downgrade it but since then I get this. Any ideas?

Last edited by Diplomat (2012-09-04 10:19:20)

#55 2012-09-06 21:04:07

paranoos

My issue seems to have returned with the linux kernel 3.5.3. I had been using mkinitcpio 0.10 for a few versions of linux 3.4.x without any problem.

To recap, my mkinitcpio configuration includes only the "base" hook, and manually loads the 3 modules necessary for the kernel to mount my hard drive. Today I updated to linux 3.5.3, and /dev/sda1 is not found at boot time. Adding the "udev" hook to my mkinitcpio fixes the issue, though udev should not be required. I suspect that mkinitcpio should run an mknod command to create the /dev/sda1 node when it is not found at boot. Since udev creates the node before mounting the drive, the issue disappears when udev is included in the mkinitcpio config.

#56 2012-09-06 21:33:58

ratcheer

I just started having this issue after today's small upgrade (three packages - fontconfig, less, and icedtea-web-java7). In my case, it is my /home partition that is failing to mount.

I will try the suggested fix, I don't see why it would hurt anything.

Tim

PS - In my case, following those instructions did not help. What is wrong and what do I need to do to fix it?

When the boot fails, I can go into a root console and mount my home partition, manually. I am not doing anything other than that to successfully complete booting. I have also verified that the UUID in /etc/fstab is still correct.

PPS - Solved - In my case, btrfs is acting up, again. I had just gotten it working yesterday. I edited fstab and commented out the line for the btrfs, and now the system boots successfully. I can mount the btrfs manually and successfully after the system is back up. Arch boot does not seem to like btrfs (and I do have the btrfs hook included in mkinitcpio.conf).

Last edited by ratcheer (2012-09-06 23:38:56)

#57 2012-09-07 15:37:33

Ypnose
Website

paranoos wrote:

My issue seems to have returned with the linux kernel 3.5.3. I had been using mkinitcpio 0.10 for a few versions of linux 3.4.x without any problem.

To recap, my mkinitcpio configuration includes only the "base" hook, and manually loads the 3 modules necessary for the kernel to mount my hard drive. Today I updated to linux 3.5.3, and /dev/sda1 is not found at boot time. Adding the "udev" hook to my mkinitcpio fixes the issue, though udev should not be required. I suspect that mkinitcpio should run an mknod command to create the /dev/sda1 node when it is not found at boot. Since udev creates the node before mounting the drive, the issue disappears when udev is included in the mkinitcpio config.

I got exactly the same issue. I did what falconindy suggested on his blog: http://blog.falconindy.com/articles/opt … tcpio.html but it's not working.
Here my mkinitcpio:

#
# /etc/mkinitcpio-custom.conf by Ypnose
#
MODULES="ahci sd_mod ext4"
BINARIES="fsck fsck.ext4"
FILES="/etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf"
HOOKS="base usbinput"

Github -- My terminal font Envypn

#58 2012-09-07 18:51:10

falconindy
Developer
Website

paranoos wrote:

I suspect that mkinitcpio should run an mknod command to create the /dev/sda1 node when it is not found at boot. Since udev creates the node before mounting the drive, the issue disappears when udev is included in the mkinitcpio config.

Your information is out of date. udev no longer creates device nodes, and neither does mkinitcpio (though the logic is still unfortunately there). /dev is managed by the kernel -- that's the whole point of devtmpfs.

#59 2012-09-07 21:10:12

paranoos

Ypnose wrote:

I got exactly the same issue.

Have you tried adding the udev hook? As I said in my post, that fixes it for me (though it shouldn't be necessary, ie. the problem isn't "solved", it's just a temporary work-around).

falconindy wrote:

Your information is out of date. udev no longer creates device nodes, and neither does mkinitcpio (though the logic is still unfortunately there). /dev is managed by the kernel -- that's the whole point of devtmpfs.

Oh ok, that's interesting. Thanks for the correction. So I'm left scratching my head now, wondering why adding the udev hook fixes the problem of the missing /dev/sda1. I need to do some work to get my usb keyboard working so I can do a bit of investigating in the root shell I'm dropped into when the boot fails.

#60 2012-09-07 22:02:54

paranoos

Can't seem to get my usb keyboard working in the root shell on the broken base-only initcpio, although loading the same hid and usb modules works fine on my udev initcpio when I pass 'break=postmount' to the kernel.

After rebuilding my initcpio images over and over to test the usb keyboard, I noticed that sometimes my base-only initcpio does indeed work (ie, mkinitcpio sometimes produces a broken base-only image that never boots, or sometimes a working base-only image that boots every time).

#61 2012-09-07 22:16:20

Ypnose
Website

Actually, I fixed this. I replaced in my syslinux.cfg, /dev/sda5 to UUID (as I did on Grub Legacy before), and with the settings posted above, it worked.

I didn't try with udev hook because I found the solution pretty fast.
But when you say the keyboard doesn't work in the root shell (when initramfs boot failed), I had exactly the same behavior (tried with two "plug & play" keyboards). And as you said it, with 'break=postmount' (in arch default initramfs), it's fine.

Last edited by Ypnose (2012-09-07 22:18:25)

Github -- My terminal font Envypn

#62 2012-09-20 19:13:19

__ziel__

I just ran into this. mkinitcpio was the trick... thanks pineapple-biku!

Since my setup was lvm over encryption the mount step was a bit more complicated... had to look up a few more commands. Here's what I did (more or less) in case it's useful to anyone else:

# make space for device
mkdir /mnt/arch

# decrypt the disk
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/<your device here> cryptroot

# look for and enable volume groups
vgscan
vgchange -ay

and then I was able to mount my partitions et al as described (from /dev/mapper/...).
I didn't bother with networking and pacman... mkinitcpio -p linux alone was sufficient in my case... ymmv

#63 2013-12-15 06:57:50

PatronMaster

Hi,

I think have the same problem.
But after grub my screen stays black.
I use HDMI connection to my PC. Anyone use HDMI and had this error.

I already use:

pacman -Syy
pacman -Syu
pacman -S udev
pacman -S mkinitcpio
mkinitcpio -p linux
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: smsmdtv
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img
==> Image generation successful

But problem
i have a problem when update pacman

pacman -Syu
error: GPGME error: Inappropriate ioctl for device
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 catalyst is up to date
error: database 'catalyst' is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))

For did pacman -Syu with success, i need edit pacman.conf

#SigLevel    = Required DatabaseOptional
SigLevel = Never

but when i reboot, after grub screen black.
Any ideas?
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=174288

Board footer