You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-22 15:25:43

shajhirah

Bastion not installing correctly

Linux semi-newbie here, so forgive me if I miss something obvious, but I recently bought the Humble Indie Bundle V, and I've been trying to install Bastion, but the .sh script doesn't run properly. Even if I run it as root. When I run it, it asks me if I want to register, which I do, and then after putting in my password and getting to the installer, I get stuck with this:

1xgg4_th.jpg

It eats half my processor and does nothing. No error notifications, no progress, nothing. I'm trying this on x64 Linux.

I suppose I could try downloading the windows version and running it through Wine, but Wine is another thing I don't think I've gotten to install entirely correctly, so that might not even work either.

Last edited by shajhirah (2012-06-22 17:56:18)

#2 2012-06-22 16:59:36

Evert7
Website

Re: Bastion not installing correctly

Posting big full-size images is discouraged. You better create a thumbnail, before a Moderator eats you alive smile .
On-topic:
Are you running this in a terminal? If so, is there any output? If not, run it in a terminal.
Wine isn't a good idea at all, btw. It will problably just give you more problems.

#3 2012-06-22 17:15:35

shajhirah

I would have, but I totally forgot how to do that with BBcode.

I am.
>sudo sh ~/Downloads/Bastion.sh
That's what gives me the installer.

[****@**** ~]$ sudo sh /home/****/Downloads/Bastion.sh
Password: 
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Installer for Bastion...................
Uncompressing sub archive..............................................................
Collecting info for this system...
Operating system: linux
CPU Arch: x86_64
Nixstaller version 0.5.2, Copyright (C) 2006 - 2011 of Rick Helmus
Nixstaller comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
Nixstaller is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the about section for details.

And yes, I'm finding that out. I really only wanted it until I find good alternatives for all the programs I used in Windows.

#4 2012-06-22 17:48:06

Evert7
Website

shajhirah wrote:

I would have, but I totally forgot how to do that with BBcode.

*snip*

Just do [ url = " link to your full size image " ] [ img ] place of the small thumbnail image [ / img ] [ / url ]
Without the spaces off course.
There is no real fast way to do it in BBCode, you will have to create a thumbnail yourself.

Last edited by Evert7 (2012-06-22 17:53:56)

#5 2012-06-22 17:57:09

shajhirah

Fix'd. Any idea on the script, though?

#6 2012-06-22 18:00:41

SolarBoyMatt

Have you tried installing it without that "register" option enabled?

I'm really grasping at straws here, but I wonder if it has anything to do with package signing being enabled in Pacman? I guess it would make sense because the installer would try to install it via Pacman. Unless locally installed packages aren't required to be signed or anything like that.

edit: nevermind, how did you fix it?

Last edited by SolarBoyMatt (2012-06-22 18:02:47)

#7 2012-06-22 18:13:22

shajhirah

No, I meant I fixed the OP post.

SolarBoyMatt wrote:

Have you tried installing it without that "register" option enabled?

Edit: not fixed. It starts extracting, and then:

2cnd340_th.png

I know "free space" isn't a problem, I have 175 gigabytes of it.

Last edited by shajhirah (2012-06-22 18:30:22)

#8 2012-06-22 19:09:00

mcmillan

You might try using the PGBUILD in the AUR rather than just running it normally.  It uses some options to install things automatically rather than running the interactive installer. It looks like without that the installer decompresses things into /tmp, which probably is the problem with space, since by default Arch uses a ramdisk for /tmp rather than your root partition.

#9 2012-06-22 19:31:10

shajhirah

mcmillan wrote:

You might try using the PGBUILD in the AUR ...

I did try that, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing with it. It seems like every program I try to build has a different set of instructions for building correctly, and I've yet to get even one to work.

#10 2012-06-22 20:17:49

mcmillan

shajhirah wrote:

I did try that, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing with it. It seems like every program I try to build has a different set of instructions for building correctly, and I've yet to get even one to work.

What specifically was a problem? Even if different PKGBUILDs are running different commands, all you generally need to do is run makepkg. The Bastion PKGBUILD has some trickery that is needed to automatically download the files that requires you to set the variable _humblebundleVkey=your key.

If you really don't want to deal with a PKGBUILD (which should actually be easier), at least take a look at the lines where it runs the installer with various options, which you can also see by running ./Bastion-HIB-2012-06-20.sh -h

#11 2013-03-22 00:01:20

dedanna1029

Having just installed Bastion (knowing that this thread is old and has had its answers), I've found that there is a cure for the no free space ill, at least, which *may* help the lua error from there (I didn't get the lua error, but got the no space on /tmp error, this in Mageia). What it's looking for, is /tmp space. So, do:

sh Bastion-HIB-2012-06-20.sh --target /home/your-user/tmp

Go from there, see if it cures the lua error; it requires a lot of space to install with, and assumes root's /tmp to use to install with, which is at best these days, 500 MBs. It needs more than that, which using /home/your-user/tmp gives.

Note: You will have to wait forever for it to install. It will use a LOT of cpu power to install. Your usage should go up on gtk, because that's what the Nixstaller uses. So, go have a few coffees or beers, and wait; you won't be able to do anything with your computer until it's done installing.

P.S.: Bastion is not a download available with the direct install file (at least through Humble Bundle it isn't), so using AUR or pacman to install it won't work. It has to go through the Nixstaller to install. It builds it from there, for your distribution, using its package manager (I know this sounds funny, but it's what it does, or attempts to do once the Nixstaller is started). Without the Nixstaller to kick it off, you got no game.

Last edited by dedanna1029 (2013-03-22 00:10:44)

#12 2013-03-22 00:13:48

dedanna1029

Sorry, one more:

You also have the option to skip Register process. This may help some as well.

#13 2013-04-29 21:22:17

jjshinobi

dedanna1029 wrote:

sudo sh ./amnesia_tdd_1.2.1-2.sh --target /user/home

Thanks dedanna, I'm installing Amnesia - The Dark Descent and I was going to post a new topic on how to specify the target since I didn't have any space in my /tmp file. I was putting the target before --target. None of the instructions online tells you that it's suppose to be after. Luckily this showed up in the first result. I created my own directory, and right now it looks like it's going to work.

Last edited by jjshinobi (2013-04-29 21:23:33)

Board footer