You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-23 17:51:50

OakRaider4Life

GTK apps in Qt Environment -- Does it really make a difference?

Whenever I read around about running GTK apps in KDE, I get a lot of horror stories about how needing to load GTK libraries in the Qt environment will degrade my system performance and bog down my desktop experience. After spending a lot of time in two pretty popular GTK apps (Firefox & Gimp), and monitoring my desktop performance, I've certainly not found anything noticable (other than that they look ugly as sin). Furthermore, I keep a system monitoring widget on my desktop, and it doesn't seem to make a lick of difference on my system resources. Are all the warnings about running GTK in Qt simply horror stories? Has anyone actually noticed a difference from running GTK apps in Qt (or the other way around for that matter)?

#2 2012-06-23 19:55:22

jgreen1tc

Re: GTK apps in Qt Environment -- Does it really make a difference?

There are themes that look good for both gtk and qt apps. I for one use both and dont notice much of a difference.

#3 2012-06-23 21:05:40

axel668

no, I've always used GTK apps in KDE (Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, ...) and never had problems. And there's a great article in the wiki about theming: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … plications

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
(Mitch Ratcliffe)

#4 2012-06-23 22:58:08

magicalChicken
Website

The reason many may say things like this is because they may be on older systems, and having to load all of the gtk stuff into memory can really fill up memory and slow system down if it does not have much memory.

#5 2012-06-23 23:47:28

Bellum

Have an old computer with half a GB of memory and running GTK and QT apps in the same environment with no problems. Sounds like nonsense to me.

Mind, I use XFCE. KDE itself is quite a bit heavier from what I understand.

#6 2012-06-24 01:55:08

ANOKNUSA

I always suspected those were just leftover flames from the great GNOME vs. KDE  wars of '04.  I've never really had any problems running both simultaneously in either DE.

#7 2012-06-24 10:35:12

OakRaider4Life

axel668 wrote:

no, I've always used GTK apps in KDE (Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, ...) and never had problems. And there's a great article in the wiki about theming: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … plications

That's a great little wiki page which I just visited, used, and now love. Thank you for sharing!

#8 2012-06-24 11:05:06

Awebb

I don't use a DE at all and I have both, Qt as well as GTK2/3 applications running. The number of dependencies is negligible, I generally configure the GTK look and let Qt import the design (it almost always does this automatically, more or less). I only keep my distance from Gnome or KDE applications, as they tend to pull in half the DE, but that has nothing to do with Qt/GTK.

#9 2012-06-24 11:25:32

GordonGR

ANOKNUSA wrote:

I always suspected those were just leftover flames from the great GNOME vs. KDE  wars of '04.  I've never really had any problems running both simultaneously in either DE.

+1. I've always mixed toolkits based on usability according to my needs. I never had an issue. And I've always had old hardware.

One of the reasons I love Arch is that it never got in this awful "flavours" business.

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E3400 @ 2.60GHz, x86_64. AURs.

“No one without the knowledge of geometry may enter.“ Plato.

#10 2012-06-24 20:40:19

bwat47

ANOKNUSA wrote:

Yeah, this is one of those "myths" that always comes up, it really isn't true.

Board footer