You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-25 13:42:54

TheCreeL

[Solved] Can't log in.

Hello everyone smile
this morning i tried to log in, but when i hit 'return' to log in the login manager disappear for a second and then pop out again with the username field.
I don't know how this could happen.

I also noticed that on boot something goes wrong. I can't tell if it's the swap which fails to activate or mounting the file system, it all goes too quickly.

Until yesterday everything went well, the only change i could have made that could affect the system like this is changing from "UTC" to "localtime" in rc.conf, could it be?
But most importantly how can i fix this since i can't even log in? maybe a chroot on a live distro but i'm not sure, and maybe there are easier ways to accomplish this smile.

PS. sorry for my bad english tongue

Last edited by TheCreeL (2012-06-25 15:36:29)

#2 2012-06-25 13:46:15

Awebb

Re: [Solved] Can't log in.

TheCreeL wrote:

maybe a chroot on a live distro but i'm not sure, and maybe there are easier ways to accomplish this smile.

This is the easy way. Boot the Arch installer and check if there is anything wrong with, say, /etc/inittab.

Can you log in as root?

#3 2012-06-25 13:48:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Boot to runlevel 3.  I doubt there is a need to chroot if your login manager comes up.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2012-06-25 13:53:55

DSpider

Post your:

/etc/inittab
/etc/fstab
/etc/rc.conf
~/.xinitrc

(preferably using pastebin.com)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#5 2012-06-25 14:54:06

TheCreeL

Thanks. big_smile
@Awebb I tried to log in as root but it says "failed to execute login command". I also tried the fallback image but nothing: same behaviour.

@Trilby Thank you, that worked now at least i can login in the console. I try to post all the files that DSpider asked me big_smile

#6 2012-06-25 15:36:06

TheCreeL

Here you are the files ---> http://pastebin.com/qmuHRwjM.

Even if while checking them i found all the various error. In fstab the swap's dir was 'swap' instead of 'none' and then in xinitrc on the last line where my desktop manager is loaded there was a '&' that shouldn't have been there, deleted that and everything worked just fine big_smile.

Thank you guys for your help. big_smile

#7 2012-06-25 15:57:03

DSpider

That's great. A few issues, tho. Only the root partition needs a "1" at the end, everything else should have either "2" or "0":

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fs … efinitions

And if you're going to disable the "network" daemon from rc.conf (the one with a "!" in front), you may as well remove it from there. You're also missing a HOSTNAME="yourhostname", which makes me wonder if you have a proper /etc/hosts file too...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … tc.2Fhosts

Errors in this entry may cause poor network performance and/or certain programs to open very slowly, or not work at all. This is a very common error for beginners.

For simplicity, you can also remove the "if" stuff from ~/.xinitrc.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#8 2012-06-25 16:57:09

TheCreeL

Ok thanks, i'll edit fstab right away.
The hostname and hosts are fine, thanks. I just didn't put that into pastebin since it was completely useless to show.

I'll leave the if stuff form xinitrc, but what does it do exactly?

#9 2012-06-25 17:15:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

That if block reads and runs any X startup scripts in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d

If there is anything there at all, it is far more likely to cause problems than solve them.  I second the advice to ditch all of that.  If anything else needs to be done, you can put it in your xinitrc directly.  This has two benefits: 1) you are more in control (and more aware) of what is happening when X starts, this makes trouble shooting much easier; and 2) though probably trivial for overal perfomance, you avoid launching any number of subshells during startup.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2012-06-25 20:56:42

TheCreeL

Thanks for all the useful advices, really. You never stop learning.

Board footer