You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-25 23:55:48

gixxy

Help with setting up my Desktop Environment

I am currently using TWM, and adore the massive customization available for it. I just also want a easy way of managing/changing a background image, and maybe also Desktop Icons. I have been googling and searching the wiki and a few other sources for several hours, but can't really find anything that will do the job. Whatever it is, I would like it to be really simple and lightweight, and if it is another window manager, have a lot of customization.

Any help available from the community on this matter?

#2 2012-06-26 00:06:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Help with setting up my Desktop Environment

gixxy wrote:

I am currently using TWM, and adore the massive customization available for it.

Really??  Well, there's a first time for everything.

There are many ways to set the background.  Xsetroot is the simplest, but only does simple things.  I'd recommend feh as the overall best: simple, lightweight, yet powerful.

If you want desktop icons you'll probably need one of the "heavyweight" filemanagers like pcmanfm.  I'm pretty sure nautilus also manages desktop icons, but I've never used it.  Alternately, Rox-Filer is an often overlooked gem that may fit your needs.

If you want to check out other window managers, I'd suggest openbox.  Openbox is lightweight, *simple* to start using, yet immensely configurable.  Check out the poll on favorite WM's: openbox is at the top of the list for floating WM's by a large margin.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-06-26 00:26:51

drcouzelis
Website

Trilby wrote:
gixxy wrote:

Could be worse. It could be FVWM.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way suggesting that you should try FVWM. It may be hazardous to your health.

#4 2012-06-26 18:24:26

karol
Archivist

#5 2012-06-26 18:32:57

tinySpark

lxappearance will also let you set icons, fonts and gtk2 themes. I've tried it with both pcmanfm and thunar and it works great.

#6 2012-06-26 18:58:43

acvar

drcouzelis wrote:
Trilby wrote:
gixxy wrote:

Could be worse. It could be FVWM.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way suggesting that you should try FVWM. It may be hazardous to your health.

Funny I was going to suggest FVWM.  It is the only window manager that I can get to do things the way I want them to be done.

lxapperacnes will let you set your icons, and other things.

To many programs out there to list that will set your background, and most WM offer built in utilities to do this.

#7 2012-06-26 19:55:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

LXAppearance will set an icon theme for gtk apps, but it will not manage desktop icons, and it has nothing to do with window management.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer