You are not logged in.

#26 2012-06-27 01:25:25

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: mirror error? pacman failing to fetch xorg/alsa etc.

I'll take the bronze.  I don't think I could work up to silver or gold ... I'd probably just end up with a purple heart*

*wiki link just incase the US-centric reference needs explanation.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#27 2012-06-27 19:29:17

JLloyd13

Trilby wrote:

How much software do you need?  This has been discussed in several threads, and undoubtedly on the wiki:

You could use links or which ever web browser comes with the base install.  You could use curl/wget.  You can use the pastebin script floating around.  Even in the absence of any network connectivity you can use 'cp' and a flash drive.  You clearly have a computer which you can use to post to the forums.

There is no magic here.  If you want solutions, we need information.

Inxsible wrote:

that's some real patience right there Trilby.

I think it just ran out.

ok man calm down, i come from buntu and am new to arch, so take it easy. heres my wget result:

[root@A880GZ ~]# wget [url]https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=143916[/url]
--2012-06-26 17:32:56-- [url]https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=143916[/url]
Resolving bbs.archlinux.org . . . failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address 'bbs.archlinux.org' 

Last edited by JLloyd13 (2012-06-27 19:32:59)

#28 2012-06-27 19:32:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You're kidding right?

Either you are trolling, or you should probably go back to the buntu's

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#29 2012-06-27 19:36:19

JLloyd13

Trilby wrote:

You're kidding right?

Either you are trolling, or you should probably go back to the buntu's

how does the wget result say I should go back to buntu? I have installed arch once before and that system still works fine, I just don't have lots of experience or knowledge here and I need some help. That is why the forums are here, correct me if I'm wrong, to talk about arch and help anyone with a problem.

#30 2012-06-27 19:51:01

Pres

Assuming you are actually being serious... these forums are to help people. Not to spoonfeed or have someone else solve the problem for you. Most of this thread has been Trilby trying to get you to provide the most basic information that should have been provided in the very first post.

That wget output should speak for itself. Do you really not see anything there you could use to identify the problem and help yourself solve it?

#31 2012-06-27 22:19:09

JLloyd13

yes I am being perfectly serious. it looks to me as if arch is unable to use the network whatsoever. I may just reinstall. (this was a core install where as the last one I did was a netinstall using the same model nic and the network worked fine.) thanks to all who tried to help... and trilby, I get where you are coming from but there are much better, less offensive ways to say what you are saying. I'll post if i get it runnning

#32 2012-06-27 22:25:38

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

JLloyd13 wrote:

... and trilby, I get where you are coming from but there are much better, less offensive ways to say what you are saying.

Trilby wasn't being offensive. On the contrary, as has been pointed out, he displayed an extraordinary amount of patience in attempting to assist you with your issue.

After someone has volunteered their time to help you, them suggesting that you consider a more newbie friendly distro isn't a personal slight. It's a frank asessment of your current understanding and capability. You are free to continue to use Arch, of course, but more threads like this will quickly expend the community's goodwill and that has an impact not just on your ability to get support, but on the overall wilingness of the comunity to support others as well. That's why we take such a dim view of help vampires.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#33 2012-06-27 23:04:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

edit: nothing good will come from what this post was.

Good luck JLoyd.  Perhaps someone can help you.  I can't.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-06-27 23:12:02)

#34 2012-06-28 02:09:23

JLloyd13

jasonwryan wrote:
JLloyd13 wrote:

... and trilby, I get where you are coming from but there are much better, less offensive ways to say what you are saying.

Trilby wasn't being offensive. On the contrary, as has been pointed out, he displayed an extraordinary amount of patience in attempting to assist you with your issue.

After someone has volunteered their time to help you, them suggesting that you consider a more newbie friendly distro isn't a personal slight. It's a frank asessment of your current understanding and capability. You are free to continue to use Arch, of course, but more threads like this will quickly expend the community's goodwill and that has an impact not just on your ability to get support, but on the overall wilingness of the comunity to support others as well. That's why we take such a dim view of help vampires.

good to know, but my reinstall is working fine. im not saying he was slighting me or impatient, im just saying he could try and word it a little differently. im sorry if it came across like i was ungrateful. the suggestion to go back to buntu makes sense, but i would ask you to consider where i am coming from. in buntu everything is done for you- and therefor i know nothing. I am coming to arch to learn more bout linux, yet you are assuming I have a basic working knowledge of linux. i don't. I came to arch to get it. I have been running arch for almost two months now, without a problem, learning. now im overhauling the pc, reinstalling. this is the first problem I've had. and I'm hoping this is the one of just a few problem I will have, I don't want to expend the community's goodwill or be a vampire, but until I get past the learning curve thats where I am. going back to buntu would not do anything, I have been running mint for over a year and went to arch to advance. we all have to start somewhere. If I go back to buntu I will always be the help vampire.

Last edited by JLloyd13 (2012-06-28 02:13:42)

Board footer