You are not logged in.

#26 2012-06-29 09:21:48

ninian
Website

Re: goomwwm: Get out of my way, window manager!

aerosuidae wrote:

Have begun a tutorial which might help illustrate the grid and method of tiling. More to come.

+1 That's really good and will certainly encourage me to try goomwwm out properly!
smile

#27 2012-06-29 12:42:59

aerosuidae

@jakobcreutzfeldt: It's as stable as I can make it smile but not yet complete as I still have features to implement.

It runs full-time for me without crashes or leaks, but, frankly, the project is still young so all bets are off. Bugs can be cunning and tenacious little bastards.

Last edited by aerosuidae (2012-06-29 12:45:08)

#28 2012-06-30 16:24:20

bgc1954

@aerosuidae - sorry, I haven't checked in for a couple of days but I'm still using goomwwm and I really like it--maybe i3 goes to the tried 'em all but found a better tiling wm category, for now.  smile
I had tried launching my script to run dzen with conky in my .xinitrc but all the keys wouldn't work except ctrl+alt+backspace to exit.  Ended up I had to add an "&" after my script name and that fixed it all up.  Guess my script was running an endless loop without the ampersand?  Curious, I've never had to do that with anything else in my .xinitrc.  Haven't run into any other problems so far with goomwwm but I'll keep you posted if I do and as I said I don't do anything too complex with my wm's.  Thx again.

Edit: spelling

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-06-30 16:52:46)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#29 2012-06-30 19:30:54

bgc1954

Just stumbled upon a couple of problems:

1.  I went to download a tarball from the aur while on firefox and the download window just sits there with the colored blocks in the corners of the window and the ok button is grayed out, but funny enough if you press the ok button the file still gets downloaded--found this out when I tried 3 or 4 times and got multiple files downloaded.  Also you have to kill the window with Mod+Esc.  This behavior does not happen in midori.

2.  Tried to rename a file using pcmanfm and sometimes the rename window is grayed out and it seems like you can't enter text but if you do type anything your file is renamed to what you typed--causes some strange results.  Other times your window has the focus and the text box is highlighted in blue--like it should be-- and all is normal.  I found if the text window is grayed out and you hit alt+tab and select the rename window it works properly.  The alt+tab method does not help with the firefox download window, though.  As a matter of fact the alt+tab menu freezes when you try this.  Hope I've explained this well enough.  Thx.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#30 2012-07-01 00:25:13

Procyon

For window switching with mod+ijkl, I think you should just use the upper left corner.

Because right now if you have two windows like this:

A------|
|      |
| B--| |
| |--| |
|------|

You can go from B -> A with all mod+ijkl keys, but you can't go from A to B.

Windows above fullscreen seems to work fine actually.

#31 2012-07-01 04:20:17

aerosuidae

@bgc1954 - both grayed-out problems sounds like some sort of timing/sync problem causing the windows not to get an event to tell them to redraw. We may need more XSync/XFlush calls or something. I'll try to find a machine that can reproduce the problem.

@Procyon - Mod-i,j,k,l is meant to be spatial; ie, focus changes by direction to a window already visible. Maybe this is more an indication we need better Mod-c cycling, as you mentioned in an earlier post?  Will think about it over a coffee smile

#32 2012-07-01 05:01:01

aerosuidae

@bgc1954 - try a new goomwwm-git build when you get a chance. A couple of recent changes might affect those grayed-out windows.

#33 2012-07-01 08:32:45

Procyon

I was wrong, mod+c won't do, what if there are multiple windows?

E.g. 1 fullscreen and under it 9 in a grid. Corners matching:
Z layer 2
fullscreen
Z layer 1
QWE
ASD
ZXC

I think mod+ijkl should move like this:
horizontal mod+j <-> mod+l
Fullscreen <-> QWE <-> ASD <-> ZXC <-> Fullscreen
vertical mod+i <-> mod+k
Fullscreen <-> QAZ <-> WSX <-> EDC <-> Fullscreen

So top-left coordinate, and then also sorted by size (mod+kl go to same coordinate but smaller, mod+ij same coordinate but larger).

#34 2012-07-01 16:16:33

aerosuidae

@Procyon - ok, so like a directional focus change with a predictable cycle behavior.

I think what you're describing makes sense for the 9 windows in a grid. Mod-i,j,k,l is about changing focus between visible windows, which that certainly is.

But, raising and lowering the fullscreen window is a different problem, imho. Two ideas:

1. Your idea of Z layers is like tags. Could use them?

2. Perhaps Mod-c could be smarter like this: If no window of same size and position is found to cycle, instead look for tiled windows that together are the same size and position as the current window, and raise them all at once?

#35 2012-07-02 03:22:07

ismaelvc

How do I start it?

I have added:

exec goomwwm

but it doesn't work, this wm may be exactly what I was looking for, almost seems as if you red my mind lol

Laptop: LG LM70 Express                                                  Kernel: 3.14.2-1-ARCH   
CPU: Intel Pentium M processor @1.86GHz                  Hard Drive: 80G
Video: Mobility Radeon X600                                            X Driver: xf86-video-ati
Memory Size: 1.5G + zramswap: 384M + swap: 3G

#36 2012-07-02 03:33:17

aerosuidae

@ismaelvc - Where did you put exec goomwwm? In .xinitrc or .xsession?

#37 2012-07-02 03:38:06

ismaelvc

I have added it to "~.xinitrc"

also I changed:

[Session]
window_manager=goomwwm

in "~.configure/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf" and all I get is my pretty wallpaper, not even the mouse gets displayerd, I use SLIM to start session.

Laptop: LG LM70 Express                                                  Kernel: 3.14.2-1-ARCH   
Video: Mobility Radeon X600                                            X Driver: xf86-video-ati

#38 2012-07-02 03:47:26

aerosuidae

@ismaelvc - anything in /var/log/slim.log?

iirc slim needs dbus, which goomwwm doesn't touch. Is dbus running?

#39 2012-07-02 04:17:08

ismaelvc

yes it seems I have no "~.goomwwmrc"

could not open /home/ismaelvc/.goomwwmrc

dbus is running (added to rc.con daemons array)

Last edited by ismaelvc (2012-07-02 04:22:17)

#40 2012-07-02 04:29:33

aerosuidae

@ismaelvc - that "could not open .goomwwmrc" is just a notice, not an error.

The fact that notice appears means goomwwm is definitely starting. Note that it displays nothing on screen by default, though you should indeed be able to see the mouse pointer (if that is truly gone, something is buggered).

I'd first check the processlist after login from another terminal with top or ps to see if goomwwm keeps running.

If you also have dmenu installed, try Mod4-x from the desktop. Does dmenu appear?  Mod4 is usually Super_L (Windows key).

Last edited by aerosuidae (2012-07-02 04:30:28)

#41 2012-07-02 05:30:26

ismaelvc

Yes it works!!!  I'm sorry it seems I didn't notice because of the mouse (I should have used "htop"). 

Ok so I get the same background from slim, wich made me think it was stuck. Starting goomwwm alone I don't have mouse, until I use"mod-x" wich shoes dmenu. And after opening whatever program, then I can see the mouse.

Still it is the "X" icon mouse from xorg (the one that shows when testing X for the first time), I have not installed any cursor theme, because the mouse starts flickering in my computer, so I use the default xorg one, but if I hover over links the mouse changes accordingly (hand, text selector).

I will install something to take a snapshot, and I'll also try running lxde again with goomwwm as window manager, then report back, thanks!

Last edited by ismaelvc (2012-07-02 05:32:59)

#42 2012-07-02 05:43:37

aerosuidae

@ismaelvc - Good to hear it works smile

For the X mouse pointer, I just use xsetroot.

#43 2012-07-02 17:00:36

bgc1954

Thanks aerosuidae!  I just did a new git build and both the problems are gone.  Great work, I'm lovin' it. big_smile

#44 2012-07-03 00:50:34

aerosuidae

@bgc1954 - great!

A few recent changes that I'm finding to be fun:

• Mod-d makes the active window duplicate the size and position of another window under it. Useful to help setup for h/v tiling.

• Cycling with Mod-c should be much more intuitive now with no requirement for windows to be the same size anymore (just same rough position). This is better for moving downward through stacks of windows with varying sizes.

• XRandR changes and rotations are detected nicely! I use multi-head with one monitor rotated.

Last edited by aerosuidae (2012-07-03 00:51:07)

#45 2012-07-03 17:40:04

bgc1954

Just wondering... I was playing around with the mod+d and now my Firefox is either the size of my terminal (small) or fullscreen.  It used to be sized so it didn't cover up my dzen with conky bar at the bottom of my screen.   I tried the mod+u to undo the size but that didn't work.  Resizing with the mouse and 3rd button doesn't seem to work either for any window I try it on.  Couldn't find any obvious solutions in the man page.  Any suggestions?

Edit:  Would it be possible to define a space on the top or bottom of the screen to prevent windows overlapping status bars?  Used to be possible in musca IIRC.

Edit: Just found something else that I'm not sure is working.  I'm trying to change the font type and size for dmenu but I'm not seeing any change when I specify

exec goomwwm -launcher dmenu_run -fn '-*-terminus-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'

or if I try to use a custom script for dmenu the -launcher command seems to ignore whatever I try.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-07-03 20:09:25)

#46 2012-07-04 00:42:53

aerosuidae

bgc1954 wrote:

Just wondering... I was playing around with the mod+d and now my Firefox is either the size of my terminal (small) or fullscreen.  Resizing with the mouse and 3rd button doesn't seem to work either for any window I try it on.?

Mouse resizing is Mod-Button3, not just Button3 alone.

Do you mean Firefox would not resize even with Mod-PageUp/PageDown? Does the problem persist across a goomwwm restart?

Is it possible you touched Mod-Insert and/or Mod-Delete? These are per-window horizontal and vertical lock settings which would block resizing. Any other cause would indeed be a bug!

bgc1954 wrote:

Edit:  Would it be possible to define a space on the top or bottom of the screen to prevent windows overlapping status bars?  Used to be possible in musca IIRC.

Status bars and panels can _NET_WM_STRUT[_PARTIAL] as per EWMH to reserve space. Most panels have an option for this, or just do it out of the box. If you're using Conky:

own_window yes
own_window_type panel

bgc1954 wrote:

I'm trying to change the font type and size for dmenu but I'm not seeing any change when I specify

exec goomwwm -launcher dmenu_run -fn '-*-terminus-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'

Two possible problems I can think of:

• Surround the launch command with quotes:

goomwwm -launcher "dmenu_run -fn '-*-terminus-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'"
  • Ensure terminus is detected by dmenu as it is installed in /usr/share/fonts/local for some strange reason. In .xinitrc:

xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/local
    xset fp rehash

Last edited by aerosuidae (2012-07-04 05:01:18)

#47 2012-07-04 14:44:27

bgc1954

sad  Gee, I feel dumb--an almost senior moment!  Resizing works fine, aerosuidae! smile  I was using mod+mouse button that I assumed was button 3 but turned out to be the middle mouse button.  I use it so seldom that for some reason I counted the middle button as button 3.  Even when you consider yourself fairly computer savvy, you can still have the occasional brain fart.

Your suggestion of surrounding the dmenu_run and font choice with double quotes works great.  Thx.

Using

own_window yes
own_window_type panel

in conky with dzen doesn't stop other windows from covering the bar, though.  Not a big deal as now I know how to resize a window big_smile

Edit: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2008/0 … -mean.html  Who knew,  I guess I'm not the only one--maybe I don't feel so dumb after all LOL!

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-07-04 15:12:45)

#48 2012-07-04 18:40:52

Army

This afternoon I took a look at goomwwm again and opened a pdf file in mupdf. I couldn't get the focus of mupdf by keyboard, it worked by mouse, but only when moving mupdf around. But then I couldn't use mupdf, e.g. couldn't scroll with j/k etc. So goomwwm and mupdf don't like each other.

What useful information can I provide?

#49 2012-07-05 00:21:34

aerosuidae

@Army - thanks for the tip smile  Indeed it was a bug with goomwwm focus handling. Try a new build...

#50 2012-07-05 10:05:19

aerosuidae

Procyon wrote:

How do you have a window always be in a certain tag?

Got around to adding this today. The -rule option allows presetting many things, tags being one of them:

goomwwm -rule "xterm tag9"

Above would match xterm (on WM_CLASS, name, title) and place it in tag9. If tag9 is not the current tag, the xterm would not be raised or focused.

I'll get the rest of the possible rules into the tutorial at some stage. For now, see the man page.

Board footer