Re: monsterwm! ~ yet another tiny wm

yep, seems like it's reading 'key',
try this, what's your output ?

$ grep "\bKey\b" config.h -C2

/** Shortcuts **/
static Key keys[] = {
    /* modifier          key            function           argument */
    {  MOD1,             XK_b,          togglepanel,       {NULL}},

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-06-29 08:23:33)

.:[ git me! ] :.

#702 2012-06-29 11:32:18

kuraku

@cookie

config.h-    {  MOD1|ShiftMask,   K,              client_to_desktop, {.i = N}},
config.h-
config.h-/** Shortcuts **/
config.h:static Key keys[] = {
config.h-    /* modifier          key            function           argument */
config.h-    {  MOD1,             XK_b,          togglepanel,       {NULL}},
config.h-    {  MOD1,             XK_BackSpace,  focusurgent,       {NULL}},
--
monsterwm.c-    KeySym keysym;
monsterwm.c-    void (*func)(const Arg *);
monsterwm.c-    const Arg arg;
monsterwm.c:} Key;
monsterwm.c-
monsterwm.c-/* a button struct represents a combination of
monsterwm.c- * mask     - a modifier mask

So, it seems that it is working now. I wonder why do i have to reboot my computer for this change. Any ideas?

#703 2012-06-29 11:37:08

c00kiemon5ter
Website

I have no idea, iirc you're using a script to build monsterwm, maybe that was looking somewhere else ? you can always try to clean and then rebuild

$ make clean
$ make 

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-06-29 11:37:35)

#704 2012-07-03 13:29:46

aleks223
Website

Well, best method for a panel is the combination of some_sorta_bar and mparser. Lightweight and fully customizable.

I use this simple sequence in .xinitrc :

mparser /tmp/monsterwm.fifo | some_sorta_bar &
monsterwm | tee -a /tmp/monsterwm.fifo

#705 2012-07-03 19:57:42

Shinryuu

Oh boy, now I'm confused.. for some reason (no matter) what branch I use I end up having "Center all windows to center" behaviour in every build and monsterwm's commands keep crashing all the time. Usually this happens when I spawn a web browser (I use it a lot).

I have tried to build monsterwm in different directories, spammed make clean to make sure anything doesn't get messed up. But now I'm out of options big_smile

#706 2012-07-04 00:14:54

c00kiemon5ter
Website

Shinryuu wrote:

Oh boy, now I'm confused.. for some reason (no matter) what branch I use I end up having "Center all windows to center" behaviour in every build

https://bbs.archlinux.org wrote:

[...]
Windows that spawn floating(or on FLOAT mode), now appear in the center of the screen, by default. I think it's better than having them spawn on the top left corner.
[...]

Shinryuu wrote:

and monsterwm's commands keep crashing all the time. Usually this happens when I spawn a web browser (I use it a lot).

I dont know about that .. what command are you trying and it is failing ? give my an example entry

also this:

the only change you should be worried about is changing

static key keys[] = {
to     ^
static Key keys[] = {

that is, use a capital 'K' for the keys array, in your config.h.

in case you missed it.

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-07-04 00:15:20)

#707 2012-07-04 20:46:41

Shinryuu

Oh, it seems I failed to read your changelog properly... I use MOD1 (aka. ALT) + 1 to open dwb web browser. Also sometimes when I have pidgin in another desktop opened when I'm in a differen desktop and someone talks to me and I switch back to that pidgin screen I can't use my commands any more (like the previous issue in the past). I remember having some redraw errors in tty but I haven't been able to get them for a while.

static key keys[] = {
to     ^
static Key keys[] = {

Yes I tried that thing out, also I tried to use default config.def.h file to handle the job. I'll try to investigate this case further on and I'll report if I see anything suspicious smile

#708 2012-07-06 13:07:48

Shinryuu

Okay, took some time but I found the real culprit cool

I have 3 desktops in my configuration -> I launch an application like dwb (web browser) -> ... and I accidentally press MOD1+ALTF4 and that desktop doesn't exist -> Commands crashes

Sometimes I noticed by switching a desktop that doesn't exist.. closes monsterwm and goes back to tty.

EDIT1. Tested a few things out, if I go to a desktop that doesn't exist = monsterwm closes. If I have an application opened and I go to a desktop that doesn't exist = commands crashes.

Let's hope this helps you smile

Last edited by Shinryuu (2012-07-06 13:12:48)

#709 2012-07-06 15:48:20

c00kiemon5ter
Website

I cannot reproduce that using master from git ..but! I think I know why you're getting that, and I should fix it in the code too smile  I assume you have set DESKTOPS to 3, but left on the keys array the last line

DESKTOPCHANGE(    XK_F4,                             3)

as if a 4th desktop existed. so change_desktop is called with an out of bounds argument.
I'll fix this so such mistakes dont crash the wm. I've been meaning to do that, but always forgot to wink

Locally I've fixed some issues I've found (one which is 4months old -- do not try to move a client on a desktop with no clients tongue) and I'm making some big changes to the underline structure of the code. Core is almost ready (and about 10sloc less), and I'll be moving the changes to the other branches in the next couple of days.

Hopefully I'll be getting a second monitor (on a bad condition) this weekend and I'll be working more on the multimonitor branch. Also, I have XCB in mind, but life has just so much time.

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-07-06 15:49:54)

#710 2012-07-07 11:47:05

kuraku

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

do not try to move a client on a desktop with no clients tongue

Can you be more specific? I tried this but i'm unable to produce this bug :\

#711 2012-07-07 16:19:09

Cloudef

Hopefully I'll be getting a second monitor (on a bad condition) this weekend and I'll be working more on the multimonitor branch. Also, I have XCB in mind, but life has just so much time.

I see what you did  there smile I'm currently doing suckless clipboard manager in XCB, and it makes me hate ICCM and X (and XCB's documentation) even more.
Btw, have you yet experiemented with wayland and its libraries at all yet? Might be neat to do some monsterwm prototype running on wayland.

Last edited by Cloudef (2012-07-07 16:19:37)

#712 2012-07-07 18:17:58

el mariachi

yeah that would be interesting... someone made a tiling manager already, but it kind of sucks, which is understandable seeing that the code has been so unstable for the past few months

#713 2012-07-07 18:53:58

Cloudef

el mariachi wrote:

yeah that would be interesting... someone made a tiling manager already, but it kind of sucks, which is understandable seeing that the code has been so unstable for the past few months

Yeah, I'm actually thinking of buying laptop to use with wayland. Would be neat to get feets wet with all the deveploment libraries on early stage.

#714 2012-07-08 20:02:25

el mariachi

I can offer you my Toshiba 133Mhz big_smile

#715 2012-07-09 11:55:02

jsteel
Package Maintainer (PM)

Hi,

I've really been liking monsterwm and decided to try it out with two monitors today, but I can't find how to switch focus to my other screen. If I manually float (drag) a window over to it then I can switch focus to the floating window but it's caught up in the same workspace as screen 1 (for example if I then bottom stack screen 1, it drags the floating window back over).

What am I missing?

Ignore me, I've now seen some info on this some posts back.

Thanks

Last edited by jsteel (2012-07-09 12:09:13)

PGP key: F40D2072
Key fingerprint: 8742 F753 5E7B 394A 1B04  8163 332C 9C40 F40D 2072

#716 2012-07-11 15:17:07

c00kiemon5ter
Website

I pushed some (lots) changes smile

Part of those are
- fixing the issue reported by Shinryuu above (check bounds on change_desktop and client_to_desktop)
- a bug that could appear when moving up/down clients
- a fix for the killclient function, where when closing for example an editor it wouldnt let the popup dialog asking to save the file to appear.
- fix calls to some functions - will now be called only when there's work to do (tile, desktopinfo, grabbuttons ..)
- less global state / less memory used -- this also allowed for more flexibility in the code
- floating windows, on a desktop with no other windows, will get borders
- updated comments
- about 20sloc less

So, brave ones, test away tongue

The only branch not updated is the multi-monitor branch. I will go over it as soon as I can. I also now have a(n experimental) 2nd screen to work with smile

to answer some questions from above:

@kuraku, it's ok if you can't reproduce the bug, that's a good thing smile I've made sure it wont come up

@Cloudef and @el-mariachi, it would be awesome if monsterwm could run on wayland, but it would be lots of work. Wayland is way different than Xlib, there are lots of additional things that the wm must do ("The Wayland architecture integrates the display server, window manager and compositor into one process"), just see how big Weston is. A guy ported dwm to wayland, but said it was a nightmare and very unstable (cant find the url :S).

@jsteel smile hopefully multi-monitor will get more testing and fixes in the near future.

#717 2012-07-11 15:45:01

kuraku

@cookie
I wanted to share this on github but i'm too dumb to understand how to do it. Anyway, i think there is a (old, since you mentioned this before) bug and i managed to get it with Geany ide. How to produce it:
- start geany ide;
- choose "Open File" dialog;
- refocus back to geany main window and try to close it while "Open file" dialog is opened (but not focused);
- refocus back to "Open file" dialog and select "Close";
- it will leave geany main window on all workspaces and you will be unabled to close it with keyboard (it looks focused but i was unable to close it). It looks like geany is background on every workspace.

You are able to use Geany on every workspace but also you are able to spawn new terminal windows, other gui apps etc. You are able to close those clients with keyboards shortcuts but geany will still be there. If you do "pkill -9 geany", everything revert back to normal. I believe this is some focus issue.

#718 2012-07-11 15:50:04

c00kiemon5ter
Website

yep, this should be fixed with

- a fix for the killclient function, where when closing for example an editor it wouldnt let the popup dialog asking to save the file to appear.

btw to report issues on github, just go to the project's issues page

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-07-11 17:15:33)

#719 2012-07-11 16:02:16

kuraku

I know cookie, that is why i'm not sure why do i get this bug.

[Update]
It seems that github is not releasing to us code right away. I tried on several ways* to refresh local monsterwm git repo but there is no change. I tried to grep for latest piece of code, from latest commit

grep 'XSetWindowBorderWidth(dis, c->win, c->isfull || (!ISFFT(c) &&' monsterwm.c

but there was no result.

I will wait 24h and try again :\

* i used script that does monsterwm building automatically, then i used simple commands for git and cloning

#720 2012-07-11 16:08:16

c00kiemon5ter
Website

hmm, this shouldnt be happening, but I guess the problem is on gituhb, not with me.
I just cloned and the latest code was pulled.
I will ask on #github (although there's rarely a responce) if there's a cache-related issue.

edit:
Well, the responce was that such a thing shouldn't be happening. The only thing I can think of, is if you're running any cache-proxies, like Squid, such a thing would have a cached responce, and return the old code. If not, I dont know why that'd happen.

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-07-11 17:21:08)

#721 2012-07-11 17:06:18

mhertz

.. I also have no problems with getting newest code... I use a script also that does everything automated...

#722 2012-07-11 19:14:57

Šaran

I was about to write a report on that geany thing (noticed it with gimp), but it's already fixed. Yay!
But here is a brand new bug! big_smile
When I click on cancel in geany's 'do you want to save' dialog or try to rename file in spacefm, monster
segfaults pointing to the last line in startup script. If run without it, it will just crash without any error output.
And github works just fine...
BTW, cookierati colors are awesome!

#723 2012-07-11 20:06:32

kuraku

kuraku wrote:

I know cookie, that is why i'm not sure why do i get this bug.

[Update]
It seems that github is not releasing to us code right away. I tried on several ways* to refresh local monsterwm git repo but there is no change. I tried to grep for latest piece of code, from latest commit

grep 'XSetWindowBorderWidth(dis, c->win, c->isfull || (!ISFFT(c) &&' monsterwm.c

but there was no result.

I will wait 24h and try again :\

* i used script that does monsterwm building automatically, then i used simple commands for git and cloning

I realized that we can download zip/tar archives from github so it is okay. I will wait a little more and try it tomorrow smile

#724 2012-07-11 22:28:13

c00kiemon5ter
Website

Šaran wrote:

When I click on cancel in geany's 'do you want to save' dialog or try to rename file in spacefm, monster
segfaults

I will look into it asap, thanks for the report wink there's a null dereference somewhere probably

Šaran wrote:

BTW, cookierati colors are awesome!

heh, thanks smile

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-07-11 22:28:50)

#725 2012-07-12 09:23:54

TheLemonMan
Website

Last night i hacked up your wmrun a bit to produce a dwm-ish statusbar (like this) (and ungolfed it a little, now it's easier to modify for the average user that doesn't grasp the boolean logic). Here it is.
Keep up the good work!

Last edited by TheLemonMan (2012-07-12 09:29:11)

Board footer