You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-04 09:16:53

DSpider

Wiki GRUB/GRUB2

It used be like this:

- Typing "grub" gets you to the GRUB Legacy article.
- Typing "grub2" or "grub 2" gets you to the GRUB 2 article.

But now, "grub" gets you to GRUB 2, and "grub legacy" gets you to GRUB Legacy.

Is this really an improvement?

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#2 2012-07-04 09:20:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Wiki GRUB/GRUB2

Legacy indicates deprecation (by upstream in this case). Which means, practically, that Grub2 IS Grub. After all, 'Gnome' shouldn't point to 'Gnome Legacy' or 'Gnome2'.

Whether or not it is an improvement is debatable, but that's how it is. Maybe the best solution would be to add a link/disclaimer at the top of the grub2 page.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2012-07-04 12:29:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I use grub(-legacy).  I don't know enough about grub2 to have an informed opinion on it other than it strikes me as a solution in search of a problem.  I do know enough about grub to know I have no desire to upgrade to grub2.

That said, this change in the wiki makes perfect sense to me.  Grub2 is the official current version of grub.  I suspect if/when grub3 is out, a search for "grub" should bring one to the grub3 page.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2012-07-04 16:55:30

sitquietly

DSpider wrote:

It used be like this:

- Typing "grub" gets you to the GRUB Legacy article.
- Typing "grub2" or "grub 2" gets you to the GRUB 2 article.

But now, "grub" gets you to GRUB 2, and "grub legacy" gets you to GRUB Legacy.

Is this really an improvement?

I ran into this while setting up a new SSD yesterday to multiboot archlinux, gentoo, and slackware. So I needed to remind myself about installing grub, went to the all-knowing and all-helping Arch Wiki and typed in "grub" to the search box.  It sent me to the grub2 page with the explanation "(redirected from grub)".   There is no indication that grub info can now be found on a "grub legacy" page.  As far as I could see grub1 information had been taken down -- so I went to the all-knowing Gentoo to find info on grub.

I wonder how many other competent developers like myself are concluding that Archlinux has removed grub information from its wiki.

#5 2012-07-04 17:04:53

jakobcreutzfeldt

sitquietly wrote:

I ran into this while setting up a new SSD yesterday to multiboot archlinux, gentoo, and slackware. So I needed to remind myself about installing grub, went to the all-knowing and all-helping Arch Wiki and typed in "grub" to the search box.  It sent me to the grub2 page with the explanation "(redirected from grub)".   There is no indication that grub info can now be found on a "grub legacy" page.  As far as I could see grub1 information had been taken down -- so I went to the all-knowing Gentoo to find info on grub.

I wonder how many other competent developers like myself are concluding that Archlinux has removed grub information from its wiki.

Overview
In order to boot Arch Linux, a Linux-capable boot loader such as GRUB(2), Syslinux, LILO or GRUB Legacy must be installed to the Master Boot Record or the GUID Partition Table. The boot loader is responsible for loading the kernel and initial ramdisk before initiating the boot process.

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2012-07-04 17:05:18)

#6 2012-07-05 11:57:17

kynikos
Wiki Admin

I've added a temporary note in GRUB2's page as there are still quite a bit of articles using links to "GRUB" while actually referring to GRUB Legacy (they should be updated btw).

#7 2013-04-01 20:20:27

DSpider

So now I see that it was renamed back to "GRUB2" and GRUB is a redirect. This is confusing...

Why isn't the GNOME article called "GNOME3" then?

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#8 2013-04-02 11:05:00

kynikos
Wiki Admin

DSpider wrote:

So now I see that it was renamed back to "GRUB2" and GRUB is a redirect. This is confusing...

https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/ clearly states the current meaning of "GRUB", "GRUB 2" and "GRUB Legacy", so I support inverting the redirect.

Board footer