You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-08 18:57:30

x371322

[Solved] Can't boot Gparted Live USB

I'm trying to re-size my arch root partition with a gparted live usb, but my arch machine is for some reason unable to boot any live USB media. I installed a gparted live iso to a USB stick with unetbootin, via the instructions here

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gp … _USB_Drive.

After restarting, my computer fails to boot into gparted. It just loads up Arch. The BIOS is set to boot to usb first, but it just doesn't work. I'm out of ideas. I've tried just about every live USB installer method possible, but every one gives me the same results. I've used different GUI installers (including tuxboot and Liveusb Install), I've tried to do it manually, but nothing works. I've even tried creating it from both a Windows machine and a mac, but no luck there either.

I should also mention that this happens regardless of the iso image. I've tried booting into Ubuntu and fedora too with no success.

This computer has no optical drive so I can't use a live CD.

Thanks.

Last edited by x371322 (2012-07-09 20:52:28)

#2 2012-07-08 20:39:31

prasinoulhs

Re: [Solved] Can't boot Gparted Live USB

Have you tried with different usb sticks?
You may want to check your bios and see if there is an option to enable boot from an external device?

You could also install gparted and fix your partitions from within arch.

#3 2012-07-08 20:47:13

Alber

Maybe what I say have no sense. I never have used unebootin.
Could you are using a partition as sdc1 or sdd1 while you must use sdc or sdd?

I'll give a shot to 'dd' to copy the iso (if you didn't before). Dangerous command, beware.

Last edited by Alber (2012-07-08 21:15:53)

Because not all of us are native English speakers, try no to use slang or abbreviations, thank you.

#4 2012-07-08 22:49:17

x371322

Thanks guys but still no luck. But yeah I've tried 3 different sticks with the same problem. I've checked the bios settings several times and everything looks good. It doesn't make sense. When I first installed arch I used a usb stick. It worked fine. But now I can't boot anything. I'm trying to boot into a live Ubuntu session now. Just can't do it. I'm on an x220 thinkpad. F12 brings up the boot drive selector, and it sees the usb, but when I select it nothing happens.

So how do I resize a partition from within arch? I have gparted installed, but I can't unmount the root partition. Is there a command line method or something?

But even if I get the partition resized, I'd still like to get this whole usb boot thing fixed.

Thanks for your help btw!

#5 2012-07-09 11:18:22

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Why not just boot the arch install image and use parted?

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#6 2012-07-09 20:52:08

x371322

It's cool I've got it working. I found a windows linux usb installer that works. Problem solved. Thanks though. Still not sure why none of the other installations worked, but I guess tenth times a charm, haha.

Board footer