You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-09 03:33:58

jmak

Error 13, invalid or unsupported executable format[SOLVED]

Hello,

I've just finished fixing the partition issue in the morning with much help from this forum community and now I have another one.

I've installed arch-enlightenment desktop on a separate partition and grub can't start the distro. I get
 “Error 13, invalid or unsupported executable format” message.
This is all the more surprising because chainloader +1 never failed me before.
I have also Ubuntu installed and arch execute perfectly chainloader +1 with ubuntu – no problem, only arch can't start arch. Interesting.

Here is the menulist to make clearer what I mean.

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sda1 ro
initrd /boot/initramfs-linux.img

# (1) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux Fallback
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sda1 ro
initrd /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img

title Ubuntu
root (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

title Arch Enlightenment
root (hd0,2)
chainloader +1

Lots of people having this problem but my search found no usable solution to this problem. Now I have arch-enlightenment installed by I can't start it.

Last edited by jmak (2012-07-09 23:50:08)

#2 2012-07-09 06:56:24

Zancarius

Re: Error 13, invalid or unsupported executable format[SOLVED]

Hmm, how did you build/install your kernel? The only times I can recall seeing this is if there was something wrong with the kernel or I had done something by mistake.

What you might want to do to eliminate most possibilities is to chroot from an Arch live CD and run mkinitcpio:

mkinitcpio -p linux

Be sure your /etc/mkinitcpio.conf has the appropriate hooks for your system, otherwise you might have a working kernel but it won't boot (especially if you're using LVM and forget the LVM hook).

This may not be of much help, but it'll be a start to figure out what went wrong.

He who has no .plan has small finger.
~Confucius on UNIX.

#3 2012-07-09 12:22:33

jmak

This was a regular install following the installation guide.

#4 2012-07-09 13:02:08

windscape

Hi,

As a workaround, why not boot the Arch Enlightenment kernel directly, just like you do with Arch itself? Why is a chainloader necessary?

#5 2012-07-09 13:11:36

chamber

from grub's web site:

13 : Invalid or unsupported executable format
    This error is returned if the kernel image being loaded is not recognized as Multiboot or one of the supported native formats (Linux zImage or bzImage, FreeBSD, or NetBSD).

So you have an Arch install on hd0,0 and you created a new partition in order to install Arch with Enlightenment?

meh

#6 2012-07-09 14:56:08

jmak

chamber wrote:

from grub's web site:

13 : Invalid or unsupported executable format
    This error is returned if the kernel image being loaded is not recognized as Multiboot or one of the supported native formats (Linux zImage or bzImage, FreeBSD, or NetBSD).

So you have an Arch install on hd0,0 and you created a new partition in order to install Arch with Enlightenment?

That is the case. My main distro is Arch_gnome, and I created an Arch_enlightenment on a separate partition, because enlightenment is my second favorite desktop. Arch_gnome grub installed in MBR end supposed to handle all the other installs. Chainloader +1 never failed me before. And it still boots ubuntu without problem.

#7 2012-07-09 15:06:04

jmak

windscape wrote:

Hi,

As a workaround, why not boot the Arch Enlightenment kernel directly, just like you do with Arch itself? Why is a chainloader necessary?

These are two separate installs, on to separate partitions, not like one install with two desktop environments.

#8 2012-07-09 20:55:48

Lennie

First of all, you can boot Arch Enlightenment directly with Arch's grub, instead of chainloading. (You can boot Ubuntu directly too.)

Google told me Error 13 comes after you choose from grub menu, which means something's wrong with the kernel line in Arch Enlightenments menu.lst.

#9 2012-07-09 23:49:44

jmak

Done.
Direct booting worked.

#10 2012-07-10 03:32:38

ewaller
Administrator

jmak wrote:

...My main distro is Arch_gnome, and I created an Arch_enlightenment on a separate partition, because enlightenment is my second favorite desktop....

Just curious, why did you do it that way?  There is no reason one cannot install several 'desktops' and choose the one you want at run time.  You can even log in multiple times and use different environments with each log in.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer