You are not logged in.

#51 2012-07-05 16:21:51

Army

Re: goomwwm: Get out of my way, window manager!

aerosuidae wrote:

@Army - thanks for the tip smile  Indeed it was a bug with goomwwm focus handling. Try a new build...

Ok, now it works, but only if I click on mupdf, it still doesn't work if mupdf gets the focus with the keyboard.

Hope this is enough information.

#52 2012-07-05 19:46:35

ismaelvc

Just a little question: how can I set the default kde cursor with xsetroot?

I have looked with "pacman -Qs oxygen cursor", and it seems this theme is part of kde itself, not a stand alone package, I can see it under kde system settigs, but in orther to activate it using xsetroot,I need the correct name, I have tried with "xsetroot -oxygen_cursor_white left_ptr" and every other combination using "_", "-", no spaces, do any of you know the actual name used in arch for the oxygen cursor theme?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ismaelvc (2012-07-05 19:48:07)

Laptop: LG LM70 Express                                                  Kernel: 3.14.2-1-ARCH   
CPU: Intel Pentium M processor @1.86GHz                  Hard Drive: 80G
Video: Mobility Radeon X600                                            X Driver: xf86-video-ati
Memory Size: 1.5G + zramswap: 384M + swap: 3G

#53 2012-07-05 20:00:41

BurntSushi
Website

ismaelvc wrote:

Just a little question: how can I set the default kde cursor with xsetroot?

I have looked with "pacman -Qs oxygen cursor", and it seems this theme is part of kde itself, not a stand alone package, I can see it under kde system settigs, but in orther to activate it using xsetroot,I need the correct name, I have tried with "xsetroot -oxygen_cursor_white left_ptr" and every other combination using "_", "-", no spaces, do any of you know the actual name used in arch for the oxygen cursor theme?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure about `xsetroot`, but you should be able to set the cursor theme with something like `lxappearance`. Actually, I don't think you can set a cursor theme like that with xsetroot. To my knowledge, xsetroot can only access pointers built into the X cursor font.

Last edited by BurntSushi (2012-07-05 20:01:05)

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#54 2012-07-06 00:28:07

aerosuidae

Army wrote:

Ok, now it works, but only if I click on mupdf, it still doesn't work if mupdf gets the focus with the keyboard.

Do you mean when using Mod-i,j,k,l?

#55 2012-07-06 07:03:23

Army

Yes and when cycling to it with Mod+c. But I tested it again just now and now it works... Strange thing!

edit:
Ok, now I get it. I boot into dwm, start some apps and then quit dwm, which starts goomwwm. Quitting goomwwm starts dwm again. Now, after starting some apps in dwm (including mupdf) and then switching to goomwwm doesn't allow me to scroll in mupdf. Killing mupdf and opening the pdf file within goomwwm results in a working mupdf.

I don't have time right now to do further testing, but maybe you or someone else can confirm this.

Last edited by Army (2012-07-06 07:10:30)

#56 2012-07-06 09:42:33

aerosuidae

@Army - ok, thanks for the clarification.

One more thing so I can reproduce the bug properly:  How are you doing the dwm/goomwwm start/stop circle?  A loop or script-with-loop in .xinitrc?

#57 2012-07-06 11:12:23

suborbital

oo shit sign me up i love cwm and been using subtle lately - will test this most def

*edit
as someone who has grown found of his mouse:
focus follows mouse. with both cwm and subtle unless i call the client or move to a client with my keyboard i have the floating window sit there w/o the one im working in stealing focus (mouse clicks included)

i mod-h'd a window with tmux till it was at it smallest size and expanded and it looked like i lost everything in X

just a few things i noticed - hope that helps

Last edited by suborbital (2012-07-06 13:31:17)

#58 2012-07-06 15:08:15

aerosuidae

@suborbital - not quite sure what you mean, but then I'm not a focus-follows-mouse user (which probably shows in the code).

You may want to try out something like: -focusmode sloppy -raisemode click (and maybe -warpmode focus?).

#59 2012-07-06 18:41:28

Army

aerosuidae wrote:

One more thing so I can reproduce the bug properly:  How are you doing the dwm/goomwwm start/stop circle?  A loop or script-with-loop in .xinitrc?

At the end of the .xinitrc I execute $HOME/.bin/wmstart which looks like this

#!/bin/sh
while true; do
	dunst &
	conky | while read -r; do xsetroot -name "$REPLY";done&
	dwm
	killall conky
	goomwwm -launcher dmenu-auto
	killall dunst
done

#60 2012-07-07 17:07:13

bgc1954

I just found something that's not quite working properly.  I don't use frostwire often at all but this morning I updated arch and frostwire was updated so I was checking to see if it still works.  I found that if I tried to use the Tools ->Options, it just throws up a blank blue window and freezes.  After a few seconds you can kill it with mod+esc.  Frostwire works fine still in i3.

Edit: Actually as I'm playing with it a bit more, frostwire throws up a blank blue screen for everything selected that needs a new window.  Other than that, it functions as it should as long as you don't try and change options or such.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-07-07 17:30:20)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#61 2012-07-08 10:47:57

aerosuidae

@bgc1954 - Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce this bug using frostwire on my system (doesn't mean it's not a bug, just means it may be harder to find!)

Does frostwire behave the same way if you do a fresh goomwwm-git build?

#62 2012-07-08 16:49:22

bgc1954

Just did a fresh build and it's still about the same, although some new windows will actually show contents instead of being blue blanks.  It only seems to throw the blanks for Tools->Options, SharingHelp->About Frostwire and File->Create New Torrent.  Also the mouse seems to have to be below the menu selections to highlight and choose them.  Never noticed that before but I'll check for this behavior in i3 and see if it's just a frostwire thing.  I'm not getting any freezing of frostwire now.  I can kill the blank windows with mod+esc right away.

Edit: Just tried frostwire in i3 and the weird mouse behavior only happens in goomwwm.  In i3 you can click to select File, View, etc. and then highlight and click to select your choice with the mouse directly over your choice.  In goomwwm the mouse brings up dropdown menus when clicking on File, View, etc. but the dropdowns disappear unless you hold the mouse button and then move down the dropdown.  To select your choice the mouse is actually below your selection in the drop down menus but once it's highlighted you let go of the mouse button to select.  Hope my explanation made sense.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-07-08 17:04:47)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#63 2012-07-09 03:40:20

aerosuidae

@bgc1954 - Are you using any goomwwm command line options or a .goomwwmrc?  I still cannot reproduce the bug (tools->options, etc, work ok for me) but it may be related to a specific goomwwm mode...

#64 2012-07-09 13:32:46

bgc1954

I just launch goomwwm from my .xinitrc

conky -c .conkyrc-weather &
dzconky &
trayer --edge bottom --align right --distance 1 --widthtype request --heighttype request --SetDockType true --expand true --transparent true --alpha 255 &
exec goomwwm -modkey mod1 -launcher "dmenu_run -fn '-*-terminus-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'" -1 urxvt -2 firefox -3 gnucash

I'll try a .goomwwmrc and try without the conkys and trayer running.. Who knows?

Edit: Just tried running goomwwm by itself "exec goomwwm" in .xinitrc with a .goomwwmrc and nothing else.  Didn't help. sad
Next, I decided to wipe my .frostwire5 folder and removed and reinstalled frostwire and its dependencies.  That made it worse as now the mouse couldn't raise any dropdown menu's.  Hmmmm...when I reinstalled everything there was a note from pacman about changing the /etc/profile.d/jre.sh and uncommenting this

export _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1

That did the trick!  All working as it's supposed to now. big_smile
It always pays to read pacman's messages, but I installed java so long ago, I don't remember seeing any of that and i3 didn't need that enabled?  Sometimes removing and reinstalling works for other reasons.

Edit2:  As a side note, when using a .goomwwmrc you don't need the double quotation marks for:

launcher dmenu_run -fn '-*-terminus-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-07-09 19:45:14)

#65 2012-07-09 14:39:19

poiu_ytrewq

I really like this WM. Before this I used OpenBox, so it's a bit of a revelation to do tiling with the keyboard while not having to configure that in rc.xml , but what i really miss is my keyboardshortcuts for other businesses. Now Mod4+Tab is the programcycler, but Mod4+Grave does the same, I would like to map Mod4+Grave to start an  instance of urxvt. And maybe make some more shortcuts like that.
Would you implement that, or are there are applications which can do these tasks?

Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work.

#66 2012-07-09 17:16:02

x33a
Forum Fellow

Offtopic:

This featured on hacker news yesterday.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4214800

#67 2012-07-09 22:42:19

aerosuidae

@poiu_ytrewq - Mod4+tab shows all windows. Mod4+Grave shows only windows in the current tag.

Check out the goomwwm man page, and specifically the -1 through -9 options. They are useful for raising and/or launching stuff. Plenty of other options there for rebinding keys, too smile  Otherwise, xbindkeys?

I'll get this stuff into the tutorial at some stage. Never enough hours in a day...

Last edited by aerosuidae (2012-07-09 23:08:40)

#68 2012-07-09 22:51:52

aerosuidae

bgc1954 wrote:

Next, I decided to wipe my .frostwire5 folder and removed and reinstalled frostwire and its dependencies.  That made it worse as now the mouse couldn't raise any dropdown menu's.  Hmmmm...when I reinstalled everything there was a note from pacman about changing the /etc/profile.d/jre.sh and uncommenting this

export _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1

That did the trick!  All working as it's supposed to now. big_smile

Ah, that makes sense. Goomwwm is not a reparenting window manager (windows don't get placed inside a frame or have decorations), while I expect i3 is a reparenter because windows are placed in those splittable containers... guessing a bit; I havn't read i3 source.

Oddly, I don't have /etc/profile.d/jre.sh but I do have /etc/profile.d/openjdk6.sh. Even more oddly, it has _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING commented out, and frostwire still works fine. The bug must depend on the breed of Java too.

If I was at all interested in Java, I'd dig further... wink

I'll definitely make note of the fix, though, for an FAQ. Thanks for investigating!

#69 2012-07-10 05:49:29

Sirsurthur

Hello aerosuidae !

Goomwwm is looking very interesting ! I might do something wrong but some of the keybindings are not working with my keyboard layout like Mod4+F[1-9] or Mod4+'.

I think it could be related to my French layout keyboard ?

Anyway, thanks again for this wm ; I already liked a lot Musca !

See you,

#70 2012-07-10 06:55:44

aerosuidae

@Sirsurthur - I havn't tested with many keyboard layouts. That said, goomwwm uses high-level X11 keysyms which should be portable, though possibly they could be mapped to different keys or keycodes in your layout.

For Mod-F[1-9]: I assume you do have function keys? smile  Note that these merely switch tag.  If you have no windows in other tags, then nothing would appear to happen, but the current tag would still be switched so that new windows could be placed there.  If you're sure the function key bindings are broken, please run xev and see what syms and codes your function keys trigger?

For Mod-':  Is that a tick (apostrophe), or a backtick (grave)?  Goomwwm binds to XK_grave for the current-tag window switcher. It doesn't bind to XK_apostrophe for anything.  If you don't have a grave-key, or you have a different key above the Tab, it can be rebound with -tswitch (see man page).

Last edited by aerosuidae (2012-07-10 06:59:40)

#71 2012-07-10 18:32:47

bgc1954

I'm sitting in my basement, at the moment, since we have unseasonably hot weather here and the basement is the only cool place in the house.  I'm using my HP mini netbook so of course I had to try goomwwm on it.  I also decided to try a frostwire install and instead of picking the default jre7-openjdk, I opted for openjdk6 and you get the same message about uncommenting the nonreparenting wm, but you're right, you don't have to uncomment anything in the etc/profile.d/openjdk6.sh and frostwire works out of the box.  So it looks like changes between jre7-openjdk and openjdk6 are to blame for any problems I had and I'm keeping openjdk6 as jre7 drags in other dependencies--jre-openjdk-headless and java-rhino which I don't want or need, apparently.

So far goomwwm is working fine, although I have had a couple of instances where mod+esc won't close my urxvt.  I'll keep my eye on that and see if it happens with any regularity or not and if there is any pattern to it.

Edit: Sorry aerosuidae, I'm sticking with i3 on my netbook.  For some strange reason mod+esc doesn't work more than it does.  Also sometimes I have to kill X as the window focus just seems to not be there at all--ie. mod+1 brings up my urxvt terminal but then I can't type anything in it and can't close it with mod+esc--makes things a little unusable sad
Also a few times, trying to search in google in firefox, I hit the "h" key and the window would shrink horizontally and I hadn't even touched the mod key.  I even tried switching modkey but it didn't help.  I started to think there was something wrong with my keyboard and maybe sticky keys but everything works fine in i3--very strange.  All this behavior only happens if I hit mod+esc several times to close a window.  Then it seems the modkey stays active.  As long as I don't use mod+esc, things are ok.

I'm still very happy with goomwwm on my desktop, though. smile

Edit2: I'm getting in touch with my feminine side and changing my mind.  I don't know why I didn't think about it earlier but by putting

close q

in my .goomwwmrc, goomwwm is actually quite useable on my netbook.  Obviously there is some sort of issue with the escape key on this netbook and mod+q is similair to i3 useage anyway. big_smile
Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-07-10 22:24:01)

#72 2012-07-10 23:07:32

aerosuidae

@bgc1954 - I read your post earlier today, on my tablet, and returned now to reply with the "close q" suggestion.  Nice debugging smile

Last edited by aerosuidae (2012-07-10 23:08:36)

#73 2012-07-11 03:25:10

dsr

I posted this on HN but didn't get a reply so here goes:

For those of us who don't have an available modifier key (or at least one that's accessible without looking down at the keyboard), is there a way to use a prefix key à la ratpoison and stumpwm? There's a patch for dwm that provides that functionality, so I assume it wouldn't be hard to add for goomwwm if it's not currently supported.

Edit:  xchainkeys looks promising.

Last edited by dsr (2012-07-11 05:39:29)

#74 2012-07-11 06:26:53

aerosuidae

@dsr - I've just committed a -prefix option to git. Try something like:

goomwwm -modkey control -prefix z

That should (should! very new code...) cause goomwwm to operate similar to ratpoison, though making C-z the prefix key in this case as t is used for tagging. Please report bugs?

Last edited by aerosuidae (2012-07-11 06:28:01)

#75 2012-07-11 15:23:13

dsr

Thanks so much!  I haven't run into a bug so far, and you even made it where I can leave my finger on the modifier key (i.e. C-space x and C-space C-x are the same as long as I don't release the control key), which is perfect.  I think I've finally found a dwm replacement. smile

Edit: I just discovered that prefix bindings don't seem to work with moving and resizing using the mouse.  Perhaps it would be best to allow a fallback to the normal modkey (i.e. mod4/Super_L) when using the -prefix option.

Last edited by dsr (2012-07-11 18:13:16)

Board footer