You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-14 09:53:57

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

When your stuff gets included....

In the past I have made numerous minor contributions to the Arch community and several of those have now sneaked in upstream.  Notably these include the sysctl initscripts patch and the sortmirrors script (not sortmirrors.pl), which is now included in pacman.  The funny thing is is that my contribution has never been acknowledged, not even so much as a mention in the CVS commits logs.

It's not that I really care, in the grand scheme of things it's a tiny contribution but it would be nice if the inclusion was mentioned somewhere, not least so I can stop providing my own version smile

#2 2005-09-14 13:04:43

xerxes2
Website

Re: When your stuff gets included....

well, i don't know if arch got a policy for these kind of things,
do arch developers get their names on such stuff?

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#3 2005-09-14 13:17:50

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

xerxes2 wrote:

well, i don't know if arch got a policy for these kind of things, do arch developers get their names on such stuff?

Well, the Devs obviously have their names tagged in the PKGBUILDs and I often see CVS commits mention changes made certain Devs so there is certainly acknowledgement there...

#4 2005-09-14 15:12:22

elasticdog
Website

That is understandably frustrating...you could always license all of your scripts/contributions under something extremely simple like the BSD or MIT/X11 license so they are free to do with it as they need, yet still have to include acknowledgement of you somewhere within the project.  And that license is extremely small, so it's not like it would add much to the size of your contributions and it's still GPL compatible.

I can sort of see that working, and sort of not.  For independent scripts, it's not a bad idea, but probably not as practical for patches submitted, etc.  Who knows, maybe just sending them a note could get them to include your name on a list of contributers somewhere...

#5 2005-09-14 20:35:36

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I think it depends on the devs. I have my name listed as Contributor for the ltmodem and gcc-g77 packages as I originally put (ltmodem) or have improved (gcc-g77) them on the forums.  In the case of patches, maybe putting all the name of contributors would clutter the PKGBUILD but I agree that these persons should be acknowledged.  It  doesn't cost a lot of time to add "(patch by ...)" in the CVS comment.

Board footer