You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-19 16:47:08

nornn

pacman -Syu and modprobe, lsmod and devmod gone

Hello.

I upgraded my arch box with pacman -Syu but I came up with errors because of scrollkeeper so I used pacman -Sf scrollkeeper and then updated again with pacman -Su in /var/cache/pkg directory.   My problem is my network does not start because there is no longer the /sbin/modprobe or lsmod to load modules when my computer is booting up and I have tried rerunning lilo -v for my new kernel but I am still without modprobe and lsmod.

thank you thank you very much.

#2 2003-12-19 18:32:56

tsykoduk
Website

Re: pacman -Syu and modprobe, lsmod and devmod gone

I ran into that as well - late late last nite. As a quick fix, I went into the package cache directory (as I recall it is /src/cache/pacman/pkg??) and did a pacman -R on the new mod package (dannammit, at work, no linux here, no arch here, no can remember) and then did a pacman -A modutils<res of package name>

That seemed to work for me - a total kludge, but intil I have time to putz around with it, it got me back online  8)

#3 2003-12-19 21:12:25

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

You're the first person who's run into any problems with it.

After you get your system into an up-to-date state, can you try installing module-init-tools again?

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2003-12-19 21:29:17

nornn

Hello.

I had already tried using pacman -U mod-utils in the /var/cache/pkg/ to see if I could reenable the modprobe and other tools.  I have also tried pacman -S core-utils also but it seems I still get the same error with /sbin/modprobe.  I cannot run lsmod, depmod because they are no longer in my /sbin folder.  I have a ibm 300gl test box with a stock configuration except for a promise controller that I have a windows hard disk attached to.  I have been looking through the forums to see if there has been a similar case.  I ran pacman -Syu and it failed because of scrollkeeper, which I installed seperately with pacman -Sf and then pacman -Su in /var/cache/pkg which updated all my installed packages.  However upon rebooting I saw that my networking would not start and I get an error about /sbin/modprobe ethernet.  I would send the /var/log/kernel and /var/log/message with but the computer has no network connection and I cannot lsmod my ethernet e100 module.

#5 2003-12-19 22:16:17

tsykoduk
Website

I have no doubt that it is totally my fault - I had tried to install it by hand a while ago, and baaaad things happened. I need to blow it away and let pacman re-set everything up. I am probally gonna wait until the package for 2.6 comes out...I will let you know what I find when I do... but I do not think that I am the normal case. I fully accept my breaking of things  8)

#6 2003-12-20 14:11:42

gumbo

The package for 2.6 is module-init-tools, and is available already.  I upgraded last night from the version that was in /incoming, and it worked fine.  My sysinit scripts were screwed up, but that's another issue.

#7 2003-12-20 17:14:52

nornn

I would upgrade my mod-utils as xentac says if I could get my network running, but I would appreciate some advice as how to get my system back to a working state so that I could update mod-utils.  In regards to tsyckoduk´s last post I am not sure what you are exactly talking about "that you are totally to blame..."?  Are you refering to using pacman -Syu?  I would not consider someone using the command pacman -Syu as reason to blame yourself if you were just upgrading packages that come from the defacto repositories.

#8 2003-12-20 18:12:47

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Woah... back the blame truck up.

tsykoduk is talking about himself.  He screwed things up too.

If the package was downloaded (which it should have been) it will be stored in /var/cache/pacman/pkg.  Do in there and 'pacman -U' it.  The one you're looking for is module-init-tools.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#9 2003-12-20 19:52:07

nornn

I think my last letter was misunderstood in that I do not blame anybody for what happened; it was I just did not understand what tsykoduk was refering to in his reply.  I understand that arch linux is a hobbyist linux and I do not expect everything to work perfectly.  I appreciate all the input and replies that I have received from this forum and hope that it continues to be the cordial place that it is to communicate with others who are interested in this distribution.

#10 2003-12-21 18:17:13

tsykoduk
Website

I was trying to say that I had tried to install the new kernel a while ago by hand. Now, you see, I am a Network geek. I can compile most things by hand and install things, but some bad things happened when I tried to get the new kernel running (that I compliled and installed by hand). I had mess with some stuff to get things working again, so I do not have a 'stock' AL system anymore. I was just trying to help you by telling you what I did when the new module tools puke on my system.

Anyways..  wink

#11 2003-12-21 18:46:58

tsykoduk
Website

Update...

pacman -Sf module-init-tools
pacman -S kernel26

some editing of grub, ran generate-modprobe.conf >/etc/modprobe.conf

added the devpts line to fstab

rebooted.

Nvida drivers gone (I expected this, I already read the how to at minion.de) - alsa works, x works, and hooboy it's fast.

Good job guys!  8)

Board footer