You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-14 17:46:58

synorgy
Website

Wireless networking on a sony Vaio

Hey Guys - I've deviated from Archlinux recently, but would much like to rejoin the bandwagon. My only problem on here is that the wireless network card doesn't seem to be working at all, and my attempts to get it up and running. I've used ndiswrapper to no avail, following the walkthroughs I could find closely. The problem with the ndiswrapper attempt was that I could apparently detect and connect, but I couldn't ping anything. I seem unable to set it up on my own, using anything I have found (hostap didn't work, madwifi didnt work. A complete n00b walkthrough would be greatly appreciated, but I really don't need my hand held through the basic stuff. Again - any help is great. thanks!

Oh! - and M$ sees the card as a Lan-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI adapter.

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#2 2005-09-14 19:57:12

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Wireless networking on a sony Vaio

Well, this guy got it working with madwifi. I don't have the right hardware for madwifi on Arch, but it's available in the AUR. Did you try this PKGBUILD, or did you do it from source? What errors did you get?

#3 2005-09-14 21:21:43

synorgy
Website

I tried from source - granted I haven't tried in an Arch enviroment, I've had better success with Ubuntu in the past and have defected to that for the time being (thus wanting to jump back over) However, I will get my wired connection out and head over the other residence hall to see if I cant get this to work. Thank you for pointing out the page too - that may be the only one on the net (in English) that I haven't looked over with a fine toothed comb.

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#4 2005-09-15 00:54:27

syamajala
Website

i used madwifi and got it working. i have sony vaio vgn-u750p. it didn't work at first, but that was because of dhcp problems. now it seems to work fine. i just got the aur pkgbuild, and changed the version that it downloaded for the build. changed it to todays date. then built it. modprobe ath_pci and wlan_wep. then iwconfig ath0 essid bleh channel bleh ap bleh key bleh rate 54MB then a simple dhcpcd ath0.

#5 2005-09-27 11:32:02

sml

1. Are you sure there are no other drivers and that you need ndiswrapper?
2. I will assume the answer to the above is yes.
3. If ndiswrapper is installed correctly, then when you type #ifconfig, the HWaddr should read something like 00:12:F0:83:12:52. If it is, 00:00 etc, then you have failed to install ndiswrapper correctly.
4. Then turn on the wireless card - maybe a button on the notebook or you can try
#ifconfig eth0 up (or whatever your card is ... eth0, eth1, wlan0, etc).
Also turn off your ethernet
#ifconfig eth1 down (or whatever it is ... eth0, eth2, etc).
5. Check #iwconfig and then set-up access to your wireless access point ...
#iwconfig eth0 essid LINKSYS (or whatever)
#iwconfig eth0 key 21E3B956CE (or whatever your security is)
#dhcpcd eth0
#ping www.google.com

And hopefully you are away!

#6 2005-12-17 18:29:10

synorgy
Website

Okay - So I have the wireless working at home. But this is an unencrypted network. At school our network is WEP encrypted. Can I set the key through iwconfig and the like or do I need additional packages? (Im sorry - I realize this is probably easily answered by searching. But Im looking at powernowd and the like which isn't liking my laptop much, and in all seriousness I'm tired of looking though forums, emails, and articles for this...)

#7 2005-12-17 18:30:04

synorgy
Website

Nevermind that last post....I got it.

Board footer